Start up lag? Try this..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start up lag? Try this..

Just a couple of tweaks I've been shown. The first changes your pagefile settings for RAM which is perfectly sensible and I highly recommend, boosted performance considerably.

The second disables DEP which can interfere with games. However DEP is a new system to prevent few forms of hacking which has been introduced with service pack 2, so the paranoid among us may not like to do that one. It saw a significant increase for me.

Page File

DEP

Re: Start up lag? Try this..

anyone try this?

Comment

Damn, you got to register.

Comment

I could use this but have to check it out for myself first before giving my opinion.

Comment

Well I was very very pleased with changing my page file settings. I used to lag for a couple of minutes when I joined a game but now it's just a couple of seconds.

Comment

I don't want to register with yet another site ... how about posting the tips here?

Comment

I wish people would stop posting turning off pagefiles.
              "Crunch's First Officer"
              twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Dang...Bugmenot doesn't work for that site

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                  I wish people would stop posting turning off pagefiles.
                  I agree...

Comment

thats cool dude thanks

Comment

Do you suffer from 10-30 sec lag when logging onto game servers? I did...but not any more. At first I thought this was some sort of punkbuster issue, and then i remembered I had the same problem when playing Americas Army. This solved it...

OK what I did was to alter the DEP settings in your BOOT ini file. (Data Execution Prevention). Several OSs have no-execute or execute protection. Microsoft has added this as well in SP2 with data execution prevention (DEP). This prevents code execution in memory regions already marked as storage. This is a powerful tool against buffer overrun exploits. www.microsoft.com/tech...mempr.mspx

1. Click Start
                      2. Select Control Panel
                      3. Select System
                      4. Click the Advanced tab
                      (if you now click Performance you will see a heading Data Execution Prevention with only two options, neither of these will fully turn DEP off so...)
                      5. In the Startup and Recovery region select Settings
                      6. Click to edit the startup options file manually......Edit
                      you should hopefully see a line open up in notepad look summit similar to...

[boot loader]
                      timeout=30
                      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                      [operating systems]
                      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=XXXXXXXX

7. Now all your going to change is whatever you have after NoExecute... simply change it to =AlwaysOff i.e....

[boot loader]
                      timeout=30
                      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                      [operating systems]
                      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

8. Do you want to save changes YES
                      9. OK,OK
                      10. reboot.

hope this helps.

This is about Page-File Size ....

On many a site I have seen much adoo about what this should be set to improve performance in BF2.
                      "switch it off" some say...."double the size of your ram" others say..blah blah blah blah. One thing is cert (in my experience of course).. Page-file to the drive DOES have an effect on this game. So....

Here is a Swap file tweak that you can do without changing the swap file size!!

For Users with 512MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance.
                      What it does: It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left.

Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig.exe in the RUN command. There in your System.ini you have to add "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" (without the quotes) under the 386enh section. Restart your Windows and
                      enjoy better Game performance, helped me big time
                      Hopefully this saves people from having to register.

Comment

and yet another site I had to registr to.

But I will try the page file stuff, I don't need performance increase, but now I have the problem when playing for like 2 hours, my FPS goes to 10-15 , the cause of this is high memory usage of BF 2 , in start of game it's about 750Mb , after like two hours it's about 1250Mb (I have 1.5gig)

Comment

Ummmmmmmm any point trying this?

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                            and yet another site I had to registr to.

But I will try the page file stuff, I don't need performance increase, but now I have the problem when playing for like 2 hours, my FPS goes to 10-15 , the cause of this is high memory usage of BF 2 , in start of game it's about 750Mb , after like two hours it's about 1250Mb (I have 1.5gig)
                            Same here

Comment

Originally posted by b0btehninja
                              Same here
                              today I tryd the thing about adding in to your msconfig and it seems to help, try it yourself, but I need some more testing to be shure, think the tip is good

Comment

Working...
                              X