Commander Theory book update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Theory book update

As many of you know I finished the book Commander Theory a while back and I have appreciated the feedback and interest in the book. I have been talking to a publisher recently and they are interested in publishing the book "officially" as soon as I make a few changes. These changes include:

1) Adding a few more sections to the book
    2) Applying for an ISBN so the book can be carried by bookstores (both online and brick and mortor)
    3) Changing the price

All in all I'd say these changes can be made quickly to get the publishing process going quickly. Chances are I will make this second edition available again at cafe press because the publishing process will take a few months.

I'll let you know when the book is available so if you were thinking of getting it please wait a bit so you get the latest edition. I'll keep you apprised of the situation.

Again, thanks...

cwv_8t88

Re: Commander Theory book update

I've never heard of it!

Is it free? If so where can i download it?

Comment

Not free I'm afraid

cwv_8t88 some may like to see a small extract from the book just to prove that it's real so to speak

Looking for the ideal Gifts? Come check out our giant selection of T-Shirts, Mugs, Tote Bags, Stickers and More. CafePress brings your passions to life with the perfect item for every occasion. ✓Free Returns ✓100% Satisfaction Guarantee ✓Fast Shipping

Comment

$15? What makes this book worth $15, compared to the freely available guides in the community?

Not trying to put you down, I'd just like a little insight of what's in this book, and why I should purchase it.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Berrern
          $15? What makes this book worth $15, compared to the freely available guides in the community?
          I suggest that you read this thread first.

Comment

Book excerpt

I posted this a while back in another thread but just for completness I will post it again here. Here are a couple of excerpts from the book:

FROM CHAPTER 6: COMMUNICATION RESOURCES

COMMANDER CONCEPT # 8: THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMADER RESOURCE IS COMMUNICATION.

If you asked a group of players, “what is the most effective commander resource?” I would bet most of them would say artillery. The problem with artillery is that it is the most direct and salient (superficially obvious) part of the commander’s tool kit of goodies. If I asked you, “what is the most effective weapon to an infantryman?” we might easily get into a debate of why an M16 is more or less effective than an L85. But our greatest weapon is our mind. Granted that if you put a solider with a tank and an infantryman with an M16 in a field and take bets on who will win, no one would bet with the M16. The tank will win hands down. But the idea is that in real life the infantryman would be trained not to let it come down to him and a guy with a tank. He would find the weaknesses of the tank and exploit them which might simply include avoiding detection and making his way to the flag the guy in tank thinks he is defending. In this way, an infantryman with an M16 can defeat a guy in a tank.

FROM CHAPTER 12: LEADERSHIP IN VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENTS

In the field of leadership research, there are generally two types of leadership: Transactional (TA) leadership and Transformational (TF) leadership.

Transactional Leadership

TA leadership is when the leader focuses on contingent rewards. This means that the leader makes clear the rewards to be gained from following a certain set of behaviors. “If we do this, we will get this.” This type of leader also focuses on mistakes and failure to meet standards set forth by the leader. The TA leader is the typical style of leadership you will find in most situations.

Transformational Leadership

TF leadership is when the leader goes beyond the performance-->reward relationship and provides inspirational motivation to the followers. This leader is more concerned with consideration for the individuals in the team and creates trust with the team members through intellectual stimulation.

COMMANDER CONCEPT # 12: A TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP STYLE IS MORE EFFECTIVE IN TERMS OF TEAM PERFORMANCE THAN A TRANSACTIONAL LEADERSHIP STYLE.

Research clearly suggests that the TF leader is more effective than the TA leader. This means that teams with a TF leader will achieve higher levels of performance over teams with a TA leader. Here’s the problem: You can see from the descriptions of the two leadership styles above that the TF leadership style requires more time spent with the team members. Also, it requires higher levels of quality communication to achieve those higher performance levels. So, how do you succeed with a TF style of leadership in a game that lasts about 30 minutes and with people you don't even know?

OK, me again. As you can see this is not the kind of stuff you will get from other game guides. These two sections I have included are the lead-ins to the real content of the book.

Again though, please wait for the second edition before purchasing.

Let me know if you have any questions...

cwv_8t88

Comment

One more thing

Actually, one more thing. I am right this instant editing, revising, and adding content to the book. If anyone has any info they would like me to cover specifically, let me know.

I am most interested in hearing about what you would like to see as far as overall strategies and such. The mechanics and logistics of the commander role are already done. But is there anything specific you think I should cover before I pass this book on to the publisher for approval...? Again, I'm looking for higher level stuff here and not the point and click kind.

cwv_8t88

Comment

Working...
              X