An alternative to AT mines, road barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to AT mines, road barriers

What if instead or or in addition to AT mines for an Engineer they could create destructable road barriers like this:

Two tank shots (EDIT: so they have to slow down), a couple of APC shots should be able to take it out. I'm not sure if these should only be able to be placed on "roads and bridges" or on terrain (could not put it on buildings or other structures), but it would be interesting would it not?

I doubt EA/DICE would implement this, but I could definately see a mod doing something like this. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Berrern suggested a good idea to make them two-shot for the tank. Also he suggested making Sandbags like in DC.

Re: An alternative to AT mines, road barriers

. How would it be effective if a tank could simply blow it apart. Also it would look stupid with road blocks jammed randomly everywhere across a map. Plus you couldnt make them near indestructible, because then you could basically block a whole flag off fron any enemy vehicle.

Comment

they should give engineers a spike strip to flatten the tires of vehicles like HMMWVs and LAVs rendering them useless it wouldn't work on tanks but it would be nice to stop a wheeled vehicle in it's tracks that way if moronic team mates run over it you wouldn't get any TKs

Comment

Originally posted by swiss
        . How would it be effective if a tank could simply blow it apart. Also it would look stupid with road blocks jammed randomly everywhere across a map. Plus you couldnt make them near indestructible, because then you could basically block a whole flag off fron any enemy vehicle.
        A tank would shoot at it and now you have a chance to shoot the tank with an AT rocket.

You could hide behind them to provide cover where there isn't any.

You can stop enemy jeeps as they try to rush past your squad or into your base (you know the guys that rush in and run over you).

Placing them on a bridge to slow down advancing armor.

Placing them at the entrance of a base where your teammates cannot run over them and punish you for TK'ing them.

Like I said I think they would possibly only be able to be placed on "roads" and not on other structures like buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Robocline
          they should give engineers a spike strip to flatten the tires of vehicles like HMMWVs and LAVs rendering them useless it wouldn't work on tanks but it would be nice to stop a wheeled vehicle in it's tracks that way if moronic team mates run over it you wouldn't get any TKs
          You know all military wheeled vehicles can run on flats? Its by design. I think, although I'm not sure, that they all have some kind of self-sealing liquid inside or have foam instead of air.

Comment

and where are you going to put this, in his pocket??

Comment

and then the tank or APC stands at the roadbarier , just raping your flag point, he cant get in, but he can shoot your ass. real good idea

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                It magically appears when you select the barrier in your kit. This is an arcade, not a "real-sim of combat". If you want that play a Reality Mod or America's Army.

In real-life engineers make all sorts of barriers to stop enemy vehicles. Now you're right that they don't carry 200 lbs. of concret mix and a mold to make them, but if they took say 10 seconds to "create" I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Comment

and then the tank or APC stands at the roadbarier , just raping your flag point, he cant get in, but he can shoot your ass. real good idea
                  And how is that different from today? I would rather he not enter the flag point than he cap the flag. But of course he could just back up and shoot the barrier, all the while giving me and my teammates precious seconds to spawn and shoot him with AT rockets, throw C4 on him or place an AT mine on him while his attention is on destroying the barrier.

I'm suggesting this to add to gameplay, primarily to make "defense" more fun.

Comment

i know that military vehicles have runflat systems on their vehicles but i also know an M203 grenade won't explode if you shoot them at your feet. And there's no respawn points in RL (FPS doug)

so who's being realistic here the game isn't a real military simulator so why not let the engineers use spike strips they're small they roll up and 1 person can carry them and they would be as effective as your little jersey barrier idea

Comment

Originally posted by Robocline
                      i know that military vehicles have runflat systems on their vehicles but i also know an M203 grenade won't explode if you shoot them at your feet. And there's no respawn points in RL (FPS doug)

so who's being realistic here the game isn't a real military simulator so why not let the engineers use spike strips they're small they roll up and 1 person can carry them and they would be as effective as your little jersey barrier idea
                      I'm for whatever adds to gameplay...whatever makes the game more "fun".

I wouldn't have a problem with it since this is an arcade sim.

Comment

i think you're right the engineer kit needs to be rethought but i seriously doubt the Devs are going to do anything to fix he class

I would play it more often it i didn't have to use a shotgun

Comment

I think it's a great idea, but imo it shouldn't replace mines (as the roadblocks aren't directly harmful like mines), it should be an addition to the Engineer kit.
                          Also, they should take 2 tank shots, otherwise the tanks could just shoot them when rolling through - without having to stop.
                          I'd like to see both this and sandbags (DC style ) put in, but I doubt DICE/EA will introduce either

He'll put it in the same place as you keep your rocket launcher, 6 (!) rockets, an automatic shotgun, a knife and a pistol
                          This is a game, not real life.

Comment

Working...
                          X