Commander and Squad Leaders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander and Squad Leaders.

I have noticed that almost all of squad leaders are just plain retarded. I'm not speaking about the oh-so-stupid situation when you have 9 locked 1 person squads, which happens a lot. I'm talking about how they do not understand neither their nor commander's role. They walk into a firefight, getting killed, thus not providing a spawn point for the rest of the squads. They almost never REQUEST. They don't understand that commander's role is not to artyllery where he thinks the enemy is. The commander's role is to provide artyllery support where it is NEEDED. I played as a commander a few times, and I had only one game when squads actually did their job. They followed orders, they kept requesting where they actually did need artyllery (I had NONE artyllery-teamkill-punishes and plenty of artyllery kills), they requested supplies, they requested UAV before charging an outpost and after capturing a flag to ensure the area is safe.

Why don't squad leaders do this more often? Is it because commanders usually don't care if the squads request? Or is it because the squad leaders don't know their role?

Re: Commander and Squad Leaders.

I recently started playing commander on some public ranked servers and I believe that in 90% of cases you can forget about squads at all. It's usually 3 or 4 squads with 2 members, and 1 or 2 squads that are full. But they're all scattered around the whole map. So really, commander's job in this case is to make scans, place artillery on most populated nme flags, place UAVs and send supply crates.

Comment

The commanders or squad leaders job is much easier when playing with clan members or friends on TS .... you know what each other wants and when and can react accordingly .... When Squad leader on public servers , I try to obey commanders instructions but when he asks you to cap a flag at the other side of the map when you're trying to defend a spawn then I'm afraid that he get's a "no-can-do" from me especially when I've asked for re-supply 3 times only for the orders to time out. I also tell the commander what I'm doing . Yes there are some very good commanders and squad leaders out there , but there are also the muppets .

Comment

I've had about a 50/50 mixed bag playing commander. Half the time I have a couple of really responsive squads who go where I direct them and request supplies/arty liberally. The other half of the time, I'm only commanding one or two squads with a couple people each in them on a 32 man server.

As a squad leader, I find 9 times out of 10, my commander does not respond to requests. And about two-thirds of the time, my squad doesn't respond to orders. Nor do they even use VOIP, or communicate in any way.

I can say when people actually do communicate, it makes for a fun game.

Comment

most times when i'm squad leader... commander sucks ass... you request stuff, he never delivers...he artys places when our team is in the majority there and there is only one guy to kill >.>

and SOMETIMES when I am commander... I have maybe one full responsive squad but the tohers are 1-2 man squads that are locked or just like that (most just vehicle-whore)

Comment

I enjoy playing commander but as said hardly anyone listens to you or requests arty/uav/supplies. Oh well that's what you get for playing on pubs.

Comment

Rolf you never play with me, i am french , speak a bad but comprensive english and i own when i play with guy who listen me

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Xan
                I have noticed that almost all of squad leaders are just plain retarded. I'm not speaking about the oh-so-stupid situation when you have 9 locked 1 person squads, which happens a lot. I'm talking about how they do not understand neither their nor commander's role. They walk into a firefight, getting killed, thus not providing a spawn point for the rest of the squads. They almost never REQUEST. They don't understand that commander's role is not to artyllery where he thinks the enemy is. The commander's role is to provide artyllery support where it is NEEDED. I played as a commander a few times, and I had only one game when squads actually did their job. They followed orders, they kept requesting where they actually did need artyllery (I had NONE artyllery-teamkill-punishes and plenty of artyllery kills), they requested supplies, they requested UAV before charging an outpost and after capturing a flag to ensure the area is safe.

Why don't squad leaders do this more often? Is it because commanders usually don't care if the squads request? Or is it because the squad leaders don't know their role?
                I feel sorry for good commanders.

Had a game few days ago, where commander used VoIP, and was doing things like "Squad leader 3, your CP is clear, no enemies around", "Squad leader 1, enemy tank coming your way from the west", "Squad leader 2, supplies coming down on your left", etc, etc. I would ask for UAV - I'd get it. I'd ask for artilerry, I'd get it. He was scanning and spotting threats. He was issuing clever orders (as in "move to the next flag" and not "move to the other end of the map"). I loved what he was doing.

In the middle of the game, someone (from OUR team) calls for kickvote against the commander. Few idiots voted "yes". Commander (pissed off, I assume) leaves on his own. I left few seconds later.

And I was a squadleader (alone in the squad), had highest score by far in the game, and was inviting people to squad, but noone would come. Because I was defending flags, I presume (they'd join the squad, probably see purple defend icon, and then leave).

No wonder I can't see good commanders around - seems like they're all pissed off and went on doing something more useful (real-life or whatever).

But I see bunch of plane/chopper flying commanders. Often, commander jumps into my attack chopper, as gunner. And I won't take off and tell him to either resign or get out. That pisses them off quite often

I wish DICE would make a change to the game, so that you can't get into vehicles/planes/choppers if you are a commander.

Comment

The problem I have is that sometimes I will hear a squad call for arty or re-supplies and by the time I look around my commander map for some reason, the icon disappears

Anybody have this happen to them?

I have to ask them to re-request.

When a SL requests something from the commander...the icon should STAY there until you click 'Accept' or 'Deny'.

Comment

It stays there for a while, you are just too busy not paying attention.
                    I've almost given up playing Commander. Fools will walk right into the artillery and punish you for it. I hardly ever drop artillery on my team, only when they are outnumbered 10-1 or so. Plus you can never please the squad leaders or anyone else for that matter. You can have 75% of the flags and just be owning the enemy and someone will initate a vote to remove you. Squad leaders hardly ever listen. I just play as a squadleader so I can request supply drops. There are way too many clowns playing on public servers to successfully be a Commander anymore.

Comment

I tried being commander once on a public server, and of course there was one squad doing the deeds and the rest were vehicle whores looking for their own points and to hell with the rest of the team. As a squad leader I will always try and follow orders from the commander, giving him the benefit of the doubt, but if he's some muppet asking me to go from one side of the map to the other constantly he can go frag himself. I guess public servers are just too full of whores and idiots for squads to work well. Only once or twice have I found myself on a team that played together, and funnily enough you wipe the floor with the opposition and have really enjoyable game.

Comment

Originally posted by rymaples
                        It stays there for a while, you are just too busy not paying attention.
                        I'm not too busy or not paying attention. Sheesh!

Maybe I should elaborate...

Sometimes I'm not in the commander screen when the request is made. If you go into the commander screen after the request was made, the icons don't seem to appear. If you stay in the commander screen 100% of the time, then yes...you should ALWAYS see the requests if you're paying attention...heck even if you're only half paying attention

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Xan

Then in my experience, I REQUEST, yet do not recieve. I ask for UAV, and get none. I ask for SUPPLIES, and get none (he's busy dropping crates on his beloved artillery).

Or the commander orders our squad to attack a base, when we're clearly sneaking around sniping behind enemy lines....

It goes both ways.

Comment

I agree that SL requests to the CC should remain until you click Yes or No or something. What happens to me occasionally is I will have just dropped a Supply Crate for someone when someone else asks for one. I usually tell them over VOIP that I just dropped one and am waiting for it to recycle, then I ask them to initiate the request again.

I enjoy playing CC when you have people in squads and they follow your orders. I keep my eye on my armor and drop Supply Crates near them occasionally. If I send one squad to an area not covered by the UAV, I use the Spotted command to let them see the enemy at the area I sent them to take or defend. I can see the entire battlefield and my job is to better direct the flow and to keep my team as informed as possible to enemy locations. I try to answer all requests when possible and use VOIP to tell them why I can't give them their requested supply/UAV/Art at that time. And still, people will start Vote Kicks.

My thoughts on the Vote Kicks ... either it is someone else who wanted to be the CC, a person that just doesn't like the CC part of the game and would rather there be no one doing the job, or someone just tired of hearing the Spotted, Attack/Defend, etc. I.E. they want to be Lone-Wolf squad.

I really get frustrated by people who don't join or form squads. Even if they want to play lone-wolf, fine, just make a 1-person squad. At least that way I can talk to you and give you a heads-up on what is going on. I can warn beforehand that Art may be coming, I can tell you what flag is empty if you want to go solo capture one, and so on. Just form a squad already

Comment

Working...
                            X