Sniper rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper rifles

This post really doesn't have any meaning. I'm just venting here and increasing my postcount.

So I'm playing yesterday and I'm on the MEC team on Zatar. I'm thinking man, I'm bored of these normal kits, I want to play something different! Then I get thinking about this episode of Stargate SG1 I saw. It was this episode where some Russian spetsnaz guys discover some people being experimented on. Anyway, they come through the gate and there is a guy on the team with a freaking DRAGUNOV and he looks totally bad@ss. So I decide to switch to sniper and kill some people. Then I discover I can't even hit my own foot if I wanted to with this thing. It's pretty decent for close work where the auto actually gives you a chance for a quick followup shot, but at range it bites the big one. I realize we can't be looking at massive accuracy for gameplay reasons but I think a good compromise would be like 60 damage and accuracy fairly close to what the M24 is. I mean seriously people, this thing sucks. The M24 should do more damage and be accurate enough for headshots but the Dragunov should atleast be able to score close headshots and balance out the auto feature with less damage and accuracy compared to the M24. Again though, the auto doesn't come CLOSE to making up for the lost accuracy!

And searching through the forums for Dragunov info, I came across a ton of M95 posts. That got me thinking... gameplay! Let us operate on the assumption that unlocks are not BETTER but ALTERNATIVES. So how is the M95 really an alternative? Compared to many of the other unlocks, it's not that different. Now, wouldn't this be cool... Deals more damage so it can hurt buggies, planes, helos and jeeps, destroying these in a reasonable number of shots, but less accurate so it can still hit the vehicles that it should be intended to destroy but not so accurate that it becomes some kind of infantry destroyer. Maintain it's ability to hit through glass and stuff. NOW THAT'S AN ALTERNATIVE! If you want to destroy vehicles you get the M95, and if you want to hit infantry, get the M24. Of course I'm sure you can still get infantry kills but make the accuracy such that it takes the same number of bullets to hit a infantry dude as it does to destroy a vehicle. So if it takes 5 shots to blow up a jeep, then it should take 5 shots on the average to actually hit an infantry guy and kill him. The numbers can be tweaked a little bit but I think this provides the best gameplay solution to the complaints that everyone has here.

So thanks for reading my rambling and ranting. I get off work in 30 minutes and I'm gonna go home and DRAG IT OUT until midnight!

Re: Sniper rifles

there were many flaws in you theroy young jedi:
    1. SVD is more of a shotgun than a sniper
    2.M95 dosent really take out vehicles (unless ur lucky)
    3. M95 acuracy stinks as it is, dont make it any worse
    4.if u want to snipe vehicles be AT and not sniper
    5.i ovously havent had any expierence sniping
    6. Ur a moron

Comment

"Of course I'm sure you can still get infantry kills but make the accuracy such that it takes the same number of bullets to hit a infantry dude as it does to destroy a vehicle. So if it takes 5 shots to blow up a jeep, then it should take 5 shots on the average to actually hit an infantry guy and kill him."

Are you insane?!? Deadset champ, thats bloody terrible. Not to mention i think waaay too tough - code would need to be written that the game knows WHAT you're shooting at, and adjusts the accuracy and the hitboxes and damage.

I can see where you're coming from with it, but thats totally the wrong way to go about fixing it.

Comment

I'm still at work so since all I do normally is sit around waiting for a printer to run out of paper, I figure I'll respond right away.

Penguino, are you being serious? I can't really tell if that's sarcastic or just a lot of spelling errors...

Baggygreen, how is this difficult? You can adjust damage in the game, and you can adjust accuracy. No doubt these are config values in some place like in just about every other game out there. How else do they adjust these things? Anyway, how would you need more code? The PKM can already damage people AND vehicles, no? Perhaps I must restate this. Exact numbers are not important, so I'll just make some rough guesses. So you want it to take 5 bullets to kill a jeep. A jeep has 500 hit points. You make one M95 bullet deal 100 damage. Therefore 5 bullets destroys one jeep. Now, you adjust the accuracy of the M95 so that it takes an AVERAGE of 5 bullets to hit a person. Obviously since the weapon deals 100 damage, it kills the person right away. But most of the time it's so inaccurate you have to expend 5 bullets to hit him. Now, it could take one, or 10, but usually it takes 5. See what I'm trying to get at? Now you probably wouldn't want to do 5 and the damage doesn't need to be at 100. These are just numbers that happened to fit nicely. Also, I doubt a jeep only has 500 HP. It's just a rough calculation.

I really fail to see how this is BAD. The AT missles are certainly not vehicle "snipers." They have a very limited application most of the time because it takes a lot of time to actually get the rocket to the vehicle. This provides an interesting alternative way to destroy vehicles and makes the M95 worth an unlock. As it is, it's really not that interesting, minus the shooting through glass. I get many more kills with the M24 simply because I just shoot them in the head. Make the M95 INTERESTING.

Comment

How about make the M95 just like the M24 so that mec and china have a chance to kill a sniper....

(you cant be serious when you think it would be "interesting" to have to shoot a guy 5 times with a sniper rifle before he dies")

-once again ur a moron

Comment

So all sniper rifles should be super accurate? You can't have all the rifles being awesome in every way. If you make the M95 just as accurate as the M24, what's the difference? They do the same damage, they'd have the same accuracy, one can shoot through glass. That seems like a big waste of a unlock unless you really have a hardon for sniper rifles. Not to mention they'll NEVER make it just as accurate because they have to balance out the glass ability with SOMETHING.

A sniper doesn't HAVE to shoot infantry. Right now the AT missle and the PKM are the only things that can damage aircraft. If you reduced the accuracy, you could increase the damage and still keep it balanced. Really, you only have a few things to play with, namely damage and accuracy and a few other little things like ammo capacity and reload things, but the big ones are damage and accuracy.

So unless you want a minor tweak like you have now, you're going to have to think outside the box. The idea is that with the things doing a lot of damage to vehicles but not being accurate enough to mow down infantry, you could have a sniper sitting on the roofs in Mashtuur blasting humvees or vodniks as people get in them. That's the best part, accuracy could easily be set to hit stuff like jeeps and vodniks from quite a distance and still be low enough not to be an M24.

You simply sound like another person who can't think about anything but a railgun. You have to keep gameplay balanced but if you only stick to tiny tweaks it gets pretty boring. Between the M95, the M24, the Dragunov and whatever Type XX the chinese rifle is, you could have a pretty awesome diversity of sniper rifles.

Comment

Yeh i can see where you're coming from, and no you're not a moron like penguino seems to enjoy saying. BUT from what i can pick up, you're wanting it to do a certain level of damage to vehicles and different damage to infantry - correct me if im wrong, but i really got the impression that you want it to take 5 shots to kill a bloke, thats 20 HPs a shot. but then take not many more to kill a jeep, which would mean much much more than 20 HPs per shot??

Comment

No no, I see what you're saying now. My idea is as goes, and again, I'm using fake numbers.

So to get away from 100 base damage, let's say a Jeep has 1000 HP. From what I can tall, all weapons do the same amount of damage except in cases where they do none at all. So if a sniper rifle does 95 damage to a person it also does 95 damage to a Helo. And a helo has a crapton of HP. Armor probably also plays a role in this. But anyway, a sniper rifle does damage to a helo or plane or buggy or jeep anyway. It's just not very much compared to how many HP the vehicle has. So, with this knowledge, you want to kill a 1000HP jeep in 5 shots. So you make every M95 shot do 200 damage. Now, you still do 200 damage to infantry too but it's obviously way more then enough to kill him.

I hope that's more clear.

Comment

People these days are too used to the idea that all sniper rifles are AWPs.

Comment

DICE is probably fixing the sniper rifles as we speak.......HEY, a kid can have his dream can't he??

Comment

Yea who cares about everyone else's dream. Let's please this one guy.

Comment

If all sniper rifles did 200 damage 2 people how would it take 5 sht to kill them?

-ur still a retard frenchie

Comment

"Increasing post count" haha

I do that too sometimes

Comment

People who cannot pass grade three reading comprehension tests are morons. Frenchman, you are not one of them.

I think you've got the perfect concept here for the M95.
                            Originally posted by Frenchman
                            ...deals more damage so it can hurt buggies, planes, helos and jeeps, destroying these in a reasonable number of shots, but less accurate so it can still hit the vehicles that it should be intended to destroy but not so accurate that it becomes some kind of infantry destroyer...
                            ...it should take 5 shots on the average to actually hit an infantry guy and kill him...
                            So the accuracy is good enough to hit large targets like a vehicle (and destroy it with several shots), but bad enough so that is takes a few shots to hit a small target like a person (but then kill them with one hit). The accuracy of the gun does not change depending on what you're shooting at!

Comment

You guys dont understand, people play this game for 100hr a week. They will find a way to exploit a 1 shot kill sniper!
                              -i did pass grade 3 reading comp

Comment

Working...
                              X