Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird lag. How to fix? And is it connection or hardware related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird lag. How to fix? And is it connection or hardware related?

Hello.

Well, ever since I installed the game I've been getting weird lags (even in other games, when I think about it).

Both in single- and in multiplayer (hell, sometimes even in the menu), the game runs perfectly smooth for 5 seconds, and then lags quite alot for 7 seconds. Smooth for 5 seconds, lags for 7 seconds, and so it continues.

Now, my first thought was that it was something CD-related. But I made a virtual copy and ran it with a virtual drive, and the game still lags.

I then thought it was connection related. So I started testing playing with various graphics and sound settings. The game still runs smooth for the 5 seconds; but depending on the settings, the game lags harder/less hard when it actually lags.

So, I'm now torn between thinking it's a connection problem, and a hardware problem. Had it been a connection problem though, wouldn't it be lagging constantly, and not lagging in singleplayer?

I have a 0,5 down/0,07 up connection,
    on this comp:

Pentium 4, 3 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    Radeon 9600 256 MB, with some 6,whatever drivers

I really do hope someone can help me identify the problem (and fix it?), this is driving me insane.

Thanks!

Re: Weird lag. How to fix? And is it connection or hardware related?

last night was the first time my computer did something similar. It would lag horrible for a few seconds, then be pretty smooth for like 10 seconds, then really choppy again, basically freeze up for about 3-5 seconds. It did this repeatedly for about 30 mins then stopped. I'm not sure what is doing it.

Comment

It's happened constantly ever since I installed the game (two months ago or so), and it even does this in other games.

The thing is, it doesn't freeze up, it just lags, like if you would have too high graphical settings.
      But since it runs smooth aswell (and since I'm haveing all settings on Low (the settings that can be turned off are done so)), I'm guessing it isn't haveing too much to do with my connection.

Or is it?

I have no idea.

Comment

What resolution and refresh rate are you running at? What is your sound set at and what if any sound card are you using? LCD or CRT monitor? Vanilla 9600 or 9600xt?

Comment

I'm running 800x600 with the highest refresh rate.
          My sound is set at Low with no EAX enabled, and Dxdiag says I'm using some "Realtek AC97 Audio"-thingy.
          CRT monitor.
          No idea what type of card, Dxdiag just tells me "RADEON 9600 SERIES".

Comment

Ok. Try running at 800x600 @ 70mhz. Sound is onboard if it's AC97, which I've used and never had trouble with. Make sure the Sound rendering is set to Software not Hardware. Make sure all AA is off and the everything is set to Low. Then Play in SP and see if it still lags. Don't even bother connecting to the account server. If you still have lag we have a driver issue, because you shouldn't be having any trouble.

Comment

I now have the lowest settings available (except for the 70 Hz), and it still lags.

The sound never lags, just the animations, though...

Comment

additional 1 gb ram fixed my problem!
                also, update frimware on router

Comment

There is a real possibility that your pagefile is fragmented. Watch your HD activity light when the lag starts to see if it is accessing the drive. If so, set your pagefile to 0 min and max - defragment the HD - the reset your pagefile however you want it.

This may not be the solution but it sure won't hurt anything.

Comment

I just threw in another stick of 1gb ram also and it was the best thing I've done to make this game run better. I replaced my Xtasy 256mb card with a 7800GTX and it still lagged with everything at high including highest AA. Threw in another stick and the only lag I see is server side. Can't say enough how much ram is needed for this game. ALOT!!!!!

Originally posted by idash
                    additional 1 gb ram fixed my problem!
                    also, update frimware on router

Comment

it might me the procceror then if its not ur ram or GPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X