Yet another EA thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another EA thread.

This forum is littered with literally dozens of threads bashing EA. The game is buggy, and we're all aware of that. It's buggy because releasing a game before adequate beta testing and debugging can be completed has become the gamedev community's norm. If they don't release the game as early as possible they are plagued with complaints about it taking so long, and the public steadily looses interest. So naturally, they release it prior to completion and bear the burden of debugging afterwards. Without realizing it, the gaming community has been largely responsible for with with their impatience.

So now that we're in the debugging state, complaints of bugs and gliches are plentiful. But does anybody realize how much work goes into locating and repairing a bug in a game this size? Once one bug is fixed, how many others are created by the changing of the code? Consider the amount of time spent building BF2, and how many people worked on it. Anyone who has ever written code of any sort will understand what I'm getting at.

Granted, the bugs suck. I'm not disagreeing with that in the least. However, I understand that it's not as simple as adding a semicolon on line 13,482, and the guys over at EA just don't have the motivation to add it. We, the gaming community initially created this problem through our impatience(although I will readily admit that there are times when it's driven by greed). Our impatience now while we wait for EA to fix the bugs solves nothing.

Contrary to popular belief the several thousands of EA hate threads do not quicken the process of troubleshooting the bugs.

Just my opinion.

Re: Yet another EA thread.

Why do you care? Message boards are for sharing tips, tricks, laughs and last but not least, complaining. Its what people do when they can't change things, they vent. So let em. Matter of fact its what your doing . . . venting on the venters. Gotta love the internet.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by DutchGunny
      Why do you care? Message boards are for sharing tips, tricks, laughs and last but not least, complaining. Its what people do when they can't change things, they vent. So let em. Matter of fact its what your doing . . . venting on the venters. Gotta love the internet.:laugh:
      I was making my opinion known. I'm well aware of what forums are for, and I'm not trying to stop anyone from venting. So, besides asking me "why I care", what exactly was the point of your reply? Did you give insight on the issue or disagree with what I said? Or did you just post for the sake of posting?

Comment

agreed.

however, what you end up with in this case, BF2, is a bunch of cry baby
        stat freaks who complain CONSTANTLY about their pretty little stats not
        updating as soon as they hit the disconnect key. Stats are fine, and all,
        but too many people think they really mean something..

try putting 'I got 15000 points in BF2' on your resume' see how far that
        gets you..

If you dont like whiners, complaints, etc, dont read em... dont make
        yourself look like an even bigger ass by replying to them..

Comment

Originally posted by StabbyTheHobo
          I was making my opinion known. I'm well aware of what forums are for, and I'm not trying to stop anyone from venting. So, besides asking me "why I care", what exactly was the point of your reply? Did you give insight on the issue or disagree with what I said? Or did you just post for the sake of posting?
          Your opinion was, if i understand correctly, that complaining won't fix the problem. I was observing the irony in your post.

Comment

EA has hundreds of people working for them... they need to figure s*** out

Comment

Your opinion was, if i understand correctly, that complaining won't fix the problem. I was observing the irony in your post.
              I made two points in the post. Yes, one was that complaining won't fix the problem. The other was that fixing the problems is not as easy as flipping a light switch.

Comment

actually it sounded more like his opinion was that its everyone elses fault but EA's that they release unfinished games. I think everyone would rather have a finnished game and wait a few weeks than pay $50 for a buggy unfinished game sooner. Its hardly the communities fault.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow_wolf
                  actually it sounded more like his opinion was that its everyone elses fault but EA's that they release unfinished games. I think everyone would rather have a finnished game and wait a few weeks than pay $50 for a buggy unfinished game sooner. Its hardly the communities fault.

Am I claiming that EA had nothing to do with the game's early release? I don't recall stating that. I do, however, recall stating that I feel the gaming community is largely responsible. Visit the forums for a game not yet released, and observe the reactions when the release date is bumped by a month or two. Is the community relaxed in the assurance that the game's release date was bumped so that they could repair some flaws in the code, or does the community whine about it. And what happens when the date is bumped another month or two? Do you see what I'm getting at? Probably not.

And yes, I agree that the devs project unrealistic release dates.

Comment

Originally posted by StabbyTheHobo
                    Am I claiming that EA had nothing to do with the game's early release? I don't recall stating that. I do, however, recall stating that I feel the gaming community is largely responsible. Visit the forums for a game not yet released, and observe the reactions when the release date is bumped by a month or two. Is the community relaxed in the assurance that the game's release date was bumped so that they could repair some flaws in the code, or does the community whine about it. And what happens when the date is bumped another month or two? Do you see what I'm getting at? Probably not.

And yes, I agree that the devs project unrealistic release dates.
                    just like most game releases (ESPECIALLY those published by EA..) they
                    release these games a month or two before they are actually ready, so
                    that they can get thousands of paying beta testers..

Bugs, exploits, etc dont bother me.. what bothers me is their lack of
                    effort to get them fixed.. EPIC is by far a MUCH better game publisher
                    and MUCH less controlling, I might add. Lets face it, who these days
                    releases a major online title like this, and doesnt put in a Fav. Server
                    List in their web browser? Its 2005 for Christ sake.

EA is a HORRIBLE publisher, imo. Their britches have gotten too big
                    for them to really care anymore..

Comment

Well, at the end of the day, my complaint is that EA charged us finished game price for a beta level program. I'm no programmer myself, but I'm intelligent enough to realize that you can't always fix complicated problems with a simple solution, but it really feels like the problem boils down lack of testing and sloppy coding.

Sure, a lot of EA's "buzz" relies on their advertising and hype machine, but who cares if you have to wait a little longer to get a better product? Look how long we waited for Half Life 2....

Releasing substandard products due to production deadlines doesnt work for any other product, yet we as gamers continue to accept it. The only way to make any kind of change is with our wallet, and it takes quite a few people doing that to make a significant impact.

Comment

Nobody charged anybody to be beta testers as you might believe. If you people were as intelligent as you claim to be then you would have researched the game before you bought it. You would have come on to the forums and seen the multitude of whaaaaaaa's and then formulated an opinion that the game might not be such a good buy yet. You would have read reviews, talked to friends who might have bought it and complained. Nobody forced you to buy anything. And as far as this game being sloppy and bug filled, I just dont see it that way. I have only 2 complaints with it the way it is and that is the piss poor server browser and the autobalance red tag deal. Other than that, this game is kick ass. Those of you who have problems installing, running or getting disconnected, Its YOUR fault. Those of you with graphic corruption, its YOUR fault. There are many people who can run this game just fine, and i hope that they, like me, are laughing at you all. Dont complain about having to spend x amount of dollars upgrading your system to play this game cause this is the future of games, its called HI-TECH. All games in the not so distant future will require these specs and thats that.

Thank you, have a nice day

Comment

Well said, wootoow.

Comment

Originally posted by wootoow
                            Nobody charged anybody to be beta testers as you might believe. If you people were as intelligent as you claim to be then you would have researched the game before you bought it. You would have come on to the forums and seen the multitude of whaaaaaaa's and then formulated an opinion that the game might not be such a good buy yet. You would have read reviews, talked to friends who might have bought it and complained. Nobody forced you to buy anything. And as far as this game being sloppy and bug filled, I just dont see it that way. I have only 2 complaints with it the way it is and that is the piss poor server browser and the autobalance red tag deal. Other than that, this game is kick ass. Those of you who have problems installing, running or getting disconnected, Its YOUR fault. Those of you with graphic corruption, its YOUR fault. There are many people who can run this game just fine, and i hope that they, like me, are laughing at you all. Dont complain about having to spend x amount of dollars upgrading your system to play this game cause this is the future of games, its called HI-TECH. All games in the not so distant future will require these specs and thats that.

Well, let's take this a piece at a time, shall we?

You would have come on to the forums and seen the multitude of whaaaaaaa's and then formulated an opinion that the game might not be such a good buy yet.
                            At release date, I can't say as there were too many whaaa posts on most forums to make such a decision against buying the game. It simply hadn't been out long enough.

You would have read reviews
                            You mean the same glowing reviews that tend to follow most of EA's major releases? I learned a long time ago that buying a title based on reviews is a fruitless effort. I bought the game for one reason: the demo was a lot of fun and ran flawlessly on my system. Somehow, between demo and full release, that changed.

talked to friends who might have bought it and complained.
                            I'll make reference to my previous statement regarding forum posts. All ANYONE had to go on at that time was the demo. Most folks I spoke with had very few problems with it, much like myself.

Those of you who have problems installing, running or getting disconnected, Its YOUR fault. Those of you with graphic corruption, its YOUR fault. There are many people who can run this game just fine, and i hope that they, like me, are laughing at you all.
                            You sure you don't work for EA's customer support with a statement like that? :laugh: Fine logic, indeed.

Did I say the game was a total piece of trash? Nope. Not even close, but it still has MAJOR issues, and I'd be willing to wager that they're not ALL sourced in the user's PC. But none of that matters, because you're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of anything that anyone else may have to say.

Thank YOU Sir, and may you have a pleasant day as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wootoow

lmao..

dude I have 6 machines here, all newer mobos, all with minimum of 2GB
                              ram, and the WORST video card I have is a ATI9800PRO/256 and I have
                              had issues with ALL of them at one time or another using BF2..

EA issues a patch for a memory leak within the code, and you tell me
                              we need to do more research before buying.. LMFAO!

What kind of company releases a hugely anticipated online multiplayer
                              game and then has their entire tech staff go on vacation that month?
                              LMFAO!

I have 96 servers running BF2.. thats 96 customers.. how many
                              customers do you have? How many complaints do you get in your
                              email box every day concerning EAs stupid rules? Do you deal with
                              EA directly on a daily basis? I doubt it.. People like you are exactly
                              what keeps EA pumping out junk code.. 'oh it works for me, so everyone
                              else must have crappy cpus, or be idiots..'

So enlighten us all with your superior programming knowledge and tell
                              us all who have issues with the buggy code what we are doing wrong..

While your at it, ask DICE/EA how in the world they could release a
                              MAJOR ONLINE MULTIPLAYER WAR game without a Favorite Server
                              List in this day and age? Let us know what you find out..

Comment

Working...
                              X