Dell or a self build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell or a self build

Well I have 2 choices, a Dell or a self build. I can get 40% off the Dell which means Ill get a 6800 256MB, 1GB RAM, P4 3.0GHz for a little under $1000 and the rest of the computer. I dont know what to get if I do a self build any help or ideas?

Re: Dell or a self build

Self build.

Comment

Yeah, but I dont know what to get. If I dont know that then Im stuck with a pre built.

Comment

Go self built mate , PRIDE in your work and you will get more for ya buck ! , AMD
        and pin 939 , and an Nvidia based card ..... slick

Comment

Ill look thanks

Comment

Self built so you won't have noobs saying something like " Hey! I got the same computer"

Comment

If you already have a monitor and some of the basics ie dvd/cd, HD, than go with self build, but If you are going from the ground up get a pre built. Not neccesarily a Dell, there are lots of companies out there. The monitor is a big expense that you can get thrown in with pre-builts.

Comment

Ok, don't get dell, i got a better comp than the dell config for only 934 bucks. My proccesor beats the P4, my memory is on par, and i got a much better vid card than a 6800. Don't buy from companies, always build a comp, all you get from a company is cool cases (not dell, like an Alienware maybe) and a brand name. I would go for these specs:

Mobo: At least a Nforce 4 PCI-e motherboard, got mine for 84 bucks on newegg.com
                CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or a 3500+
                Memory: Atleast 1 gigabyte, memory is cheap now, got my 1gig stick for 80 bucks.
                Hard Drive: 160-250 GB hard drive, i got a great deal on a 250GB hard drive, it was only 125 bucks.
                SOund Card: If you care about sound get at least an Audigy 2, but sound cards arn't too much better than integrated.
                Video Card: X800Pro-X800XL for ATi, from nVidia, a 6800-6800GT.

And the rest is all stuff that you should configure like optical drives, mouses, keyboards etc.

Comment

I have a monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse. All I need is a computer. Heres what I'm thinking,
                  AMD Athlon 64 3200+
                  eVGA 6800GT 256MB
                  160GB SATA HDD
                  Apex Black Case w/ 420W PSU
                  Some Abit motherboard
                  1GB OCZ Gold Ram
                  Sony DVD Burner
                  SB Live 24-Bit???? <-- would get better but I dont have the best speakers.

Comment

Check out www.ecollegepc.com

I got:
                    AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 3200+ Venice
                    Motherboard in my sig
                    MSI GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-E x16
                    2 GB Corsair PC3200 RAM

For 1076, free shipping and no tax. They have really good prices...check them out.

Also, I haven't had any problems at all with it, or else I wouldn't even recommend them to you.

Comment

thats cheapo i may end up with that

Comment

I got all my components at Newegg.....but that other place looks ok too.

Comment

self building is fun depending on one's comfort level with that. You might try www.cyberpowerpc.com if you are looking to get a built system. I've bought a PC from there before as well as at least 6 people I know. No one ever had a prob.

Comment

dell i love for laptops, but if u want a desktop, self built is pretty much gonna be cheaper, that coupon is only gonna really be worth it when u get really expensive, like a xps 600 or something. dell desktops have parts only dell can replace (powersupply etc) pretty much forcing u to buy from them when u replace or upgrade, so thats kinda screwy. only bad thing is that when u self build, u dont get a warrenty, unless all the parts are individually covered. as for difficulty of building, its not that hard. theres a lot of good guides out there. try ign gear's department, they had a pretty comprehensive guide. the think eludes me however...

Comment

cyperpowerpc is a little expensive...i just recently built a new system 2 weeks ago and checked out that site and the one i recommended a few posts up. ecollegepc.com > cyberpower.

Comment

Working...
                              X