Playing BF2 Without the CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing BF2 Without the CD?

Does anybody know how to play BF2 without the CD? My flight got cancelled but my bags are in Boston. I've got the shakes and need to play BF2.....

Re: Playing BF2 Without the CD?

You sure this is allowed?

If it is then pop to GCW for a fixed image.

Comment

Playing without the cd is illegal in most cases and considering the fact BF2 don't run without the CD its impossible

EDIT: (I Believe)

Comment

Originally posted by BoozeHound
        Playing without the cd is illegal in most cases and considering the fact BF2 don't run without the CD its impossible

Not illegal to run without the DVD(in this case), it may be illegal to copy it.
        In this instance it is possible to run BF2 without the original disk, as I said with a 'mini image'.
        This can be mounted in Alcohol etc, what I meant was whether it's allowed on this forum.

Comment

We have no issues with people if they want to make a virtual image since you actually need to own the game to make one, however **** cracks/patches are definitely not allowed.

Moved to Client Support.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate
            We have no issues with people if they want to make a virtual image since you actually need to own the game to make one, however **** cracks/patches are definitely not allowed.

Moved to Client Support.
            So how do i make an image? And if I need the disk to make an image than this is moot. I'll have the disk back tomarrow, i just want to kill today:evil:

Comment

Using an emulator is ok I believe....but I don't know how to do it. The CD/DVD is only necessary for logging on to the account server. You can remove it once that is done and play disc free.

Comment

Yeah, just get Alcohol 120%, put in CD1 -- Make an image of it in ISO format -- Download DAEMON Tools, mount the image and play without the CD in the drive. The image is just a 'digital' version of the CD, so it still has all the files, etc and DAEMON makes the PC think it has the CD in the drive. So no need for cd cracks or anything.

And no, it's not illegal unless you downloaded the game or something.

Comment

You can create your own mini image, but unless you know how to make one you'll end up with one that's gonna take up a lot of valuable hard-disk space.

Pop along to this forum(hope this is allowed), they are dedicated to running games without using ones valuable original.
                  Concentrate on the image side, rather than the 'backup' information.

http://www.fileforums.com/

Comment

is there any real advantage to using a image of the disk? ive done it in the past with games that i KNOW load off the disk as they go...but im not sure about bf2...does it load off the CD while you play?

Comment

It's only for people who don't want to put in the DVD each time they want to play. the game doesn't IMHO load items from the DVD ((i think!).

Comment

This is where it gets complicated, once upon a time you could choose to to a partial install or a full install.
                        A full install meant you didn't need the disk, a partial meant information was retrieved while the game was running.

This meant you got a lag, the time it takes for the CD/DVD-ROM to spin up yada yada.
                        To optimise loading when the game is running, everything is installed to the hard-drive.

Why is the disk needed then? Purely to check you have it.

Comment

I'm a mini-image kinda guy. Been doing it with all the Battlefield games. It allows you to load soooooo much faster

Comment

Originally posted by BoozeHound

1 If you own the original you are allowed by law to make a backup copy

2 BF2 DOES run without the cd , I dont use mine

3 you need an image of your disk and progies like Alcohol 120% and Anti-Blaxx

Comment

I use Daemon Tools.

Absolutely amazing tools. All of my CDs and DVDs have only ever been used once for installation (or twice for the occasional re-install).

I don't think CD checks should be necessary for online only type games like Battlefield 2.

Look at UT2K4...they removed the CD check in one of their patches. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X