Dialup for BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialup for BF2

Well I have read threw these forums forever and everywhere you turn there are people getting semi flamed about asking techical questions if they are using dialup. I know the thing says its not supported but I have met some people online playing with it and they do ok.

Dialup is the only option I have since I can't get any company around to hook me up with something better(that I can find anyway, suggestions?). So If there are any Dialup users or computer gurus that can offer good suggestions that could possibly help my connection.

I can join matches and play around usually until around 10-12 players get in there and after a few minutes I get the there is a problem with your connection. I know dialup is the problem but maybe someone knows how to get more pop out of the lines or something.

I run a Intel Celeron 2.6, 1 gig or ram, and a Geforce 6800 vid card on Win XP. I have run such games as StarWars Galaxies and World of Warcraft with 100's of players around and done fine so surely there is way to get it to work somehow even if I can't use the vehicles.

Thanks,
    Remlinger

Re: Dialup for BF2

I have run multiple tests with 56k and BF2 and all have failed.
    In my best result I was able to maintain connection to a server but my ping was 850+ and there were no players in the server, as soon as I tried to move I was instantly disconnected.
    To the people saying that they can play BF2 in MP on populated servers, I call BS.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pirate. I myself have been on 16 player ranked servers and with up to 10 players maintained anywhere from a 165 to 460 ping while moving. Vehicles are a definite no no but I start to lag and crash after more than 11 or 12 join.

I could probally play with full 16's if I was getting all of my 56k connection. As it is now I only get 48000. Ive been trying to get the phone or cable companies to get me something with DSL but they are very uncooperative. Hopefully I will not be in the dark ages of gaming forever.

Comment

Try satelite. The dish companies are as fast as some cable co's. Even with less demanding games like ghost recon you can always tell when 56'kers join and we BOOT them. Sorry the lag ruins the game play. I know BF2 lags some anyway but with 56k it must suck!

Comment

Problem with sattelite (or all the sattelite interweb connections I know of) is that the sattelite only provides the downstream connection. You still need a dialup modem for your upstream connection**, and the upload speed and ping is critical to playing online games.

** Note: What this means is that you dialup as normal to request web pages, and then the page is downloaded at high speed via the sattelite connection. There may be other sattelite services that work differently however. I still don't think you'd be able to get decent ping times at all though with any sattelite service.

Comment

well even most high end cable ISPs provide crappy upload speeds. i for one have comcast cable with 4.6mbps download but only 300kbps upload. I cant wait for FIOS to get to Connecticut.

As for playing this game with a dial up i really donno. Even if you are able to maintain a connection to the server you game must lag so badly that it would not even be fun to play it anymore. You dont get paid to get higher ranks so once the game becomes not interesting anymore there is no point to playing it. I tried playing games with a dial up back a few years ago with games such as Rainbow Six Rouge Spear but i kept getting owned badly. Sometimes i would sneak up on people and unload my whole clip into the other dudes head but he would not die. minutes later when i hide far away from anyone i got shot only to find out that even though on my screen i was in a train my real body was running into the Wall in the main lobby. I also played Age of Empires 2 (still an awesome game) with dial up and sometimes it would be playable while other times it would lag so badly and every one, even my allies, would scheme to destroy me first just so the game would stop lagging for them. Yea Dial up sucks

And as for the 46kbps that sounds reasonable for dial up. 56k is maximum theoretical speed you can have with dialup under best conditions. you may have something close to this if you lived right next to your ISP and if you were their only customer. And dont fall for those "Accelerated Dialup" or what Netzero calls G3. Those only compress html and pictures from websites so they would open faster on the PC. This will not really increase your internet connection. Downloads, music, Games,will not play faster. Sorry but you are out of luck with dial up. Perhaps you can find a Dish ISP with reasonable upstream.

Comment

Yeah it blows I can't get any type of high speed stuff. I did check that satellite option out but its so expensive I really don't see going that way. Everything I have ever heard about the sat with gaming isn't to even mediocre reviews so maybe I'm just going to have to give this wicked game up.

It really plays ok with very little lag. I get some lag spikes occasionally that are very bad but they usually only last a few seconds. Its really not till I get to the 10+ people on the serv that it freaks out. Anyway thanks for all your very factual and helpful replies. Maybe one day sunlight and high speed internet will be pumped into my part of the country.

Comment

Don't under any circumstances get wireless (not sattelite). Wireless claims to be high speed but it is weak sauce all the way.

Comment

if he cant even get a DSL what company would bring wireless there?

Comment

I just saying. But hey, where I used to live there was no cable or DSL but we could get wireless becuase there was a radio tower nearby.

Comment

Wireless in the forest. because the rabbits and the squirrels need to check their email too.

Comment

Working...
                      X