is my new rig worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my new rig worth it??

do u think spending $823 on this system is worth it??

AMD Black Diamond System

Motherboard Asus A8V Socket 939
    RAM KingMax 256MB DDR400 PC3200
    Hard Drive WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache
    ROM 52X CD-RW/16X DVD-ROM Combo
    Case DP6A ATX Mid Tower (Black)
    Video Card ASUS V9520-X 128MB
    Sound Card Onboard Sound
    Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech Optical Mouse
    Speakers AOpen SoundSphere 2.1

CPU
    Athlon 64 3000+ $612
    Athlon 64 3200+ $661
    Athlon 64 3500+ $695
    Athlon 64 3800+ $823
    Athlon FX 55 $1435

do u think that this is a good deal? i've already got a X800XL, so i dont care about the gfx that it comes with, but what i am concerned about is if an AMD mobo will support AGP slots?? btw, the money value is in Canadian Dollars

should i add $50 to bump it up to a 4000+???

Re: is my new rig worth it??

ok u need more memory, one AGP slot. no PCIe. as for the CPU go with the 3200 or 3500 cause if you go any higher its no point just a waste of money seeing u got a good video card. see if u get the 3200 then u can buy more ram which u need. i would say thats not a good deal at all u can find a way better deal on Tigerdirect.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper_13
      ok u need more memory, one AGP slot. no PCIe. as for the CPU go with the 3200 or 3500 cause if you go any higher its no point just a waste of money seeing u got a good video card. see if u get the 3200 then u can buy more ram which u need. i would say thats not a good deal at all u can find a way better deal on Tigerdirect.ca
      i already have a gig of ram on my other computer, so ram isnt a problem for me....

Comment

Originally posted by S_t_a_l_i_n
        i already have a gig of ram on my other computer, so ram isnt a problem for me....
        why dont u just buy parts u need?? doesnt that make sense youll save alot of money

Comment

go pci-e and id get a 3500+ it works very well, and buy a better vid card, like the x700 or the 6600GT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by matthab
            go pci-e and id get a 3500+ it works very well, and buy a better vid card, like the x700 or the 6600GT!!!
            why would he buy a new video card if he baught a X800xl. thats just a waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper_13
              why dont u just buy parts u need?? doesnt that make sense youll save alot of money
              Exaclty!

NOt sure where you are buying your stuff from.. but newegg.com is far better pricing than what you have listed there.

This is the CPU I have.

Comment

okay, okay, seems u ppl dont understand the whole story....

my mom is opening her own business, and she needs a computer, a crappy one that costs around $500. so i thought, y dont i give my old computer to her, and buy a new one for $800?? of course, i would swap hardwares here and there so that i have the ones i need for my gaming, therefore i cannot buy just one or two spare parts and put them together, SO I NEED A WHOLE PC!! and to Hyp3r, the cost is in canadian dollar, and the whole thing together costs $823, not just the cpu, if ur wondering where i got these...

The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH CHEAPER THAN NEWEGG!!!

okay, maybe i put one too many much in the sentence above, but newegg u hav to pay for S&H which would cost more money, and i dont even think they deliever to canada, where as canada computers, i can walk into their store and get what i need without any worries!!

Comment

Can you have them knock off the price of the RAM and video card since you don't need it? That would give you the funds to get what you really need.

You need 1GB of RAM for gaming these days and I would definately go with the 3500+. BTW - I love that motherboard. It all depends upon what components you already have that can be used in the new rig. A power supply will be important and so will the faster hard drive is yours is older.

EDIT
                  Just read your other post. Just get 1GB of RAM and you will be happy. A Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
                    Can you have them knock off the price of the RAM and video card since you don't need it? That would give you the funds to get what you really need.

You need 1GB of RAM for gaming these days and I would definately go with the 3500+. BTW - I love that motherboard. It all depends upon what components you already have that can be used in the new rig. A power supply will be important and so will the faster hard drive is yours is older.

EDIT
                    Just read your other post. Just get 1GB of RAM and you will be happy. A Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS would be nice too.
                    the 256mb ram listed is for my mom's computer.....as i have said before i already hav a gig of ram...

Comment

Originally posted by matthab
                      As he already has a gfx card I'd say go for the skt 939 3700+ san diego. OC's nicely and the full 1mb of cache is great in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
                        A Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS would be nice too.
                        The HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold PCI Dolby Soundcard is an amazing soundcard too, cheaper then the Soundblaster. Need damn good speakers to really appreciate it though.

Comment

thanks, but i dont need those, im really just in for the CPU and Mobo, the rest crappy stuff is for my mom's computer, which doesnt need high demands!!

Comment

THe mobo is great so long as it is the A8V Revision 2 so that the PCI/AGP locks work properly for overclocking.

I see your whole point now and why you are aiming high on the CPU. Definately try to get the newest core (Venus I think) with the updated memory controller and SSE3 instruction. (The SSE3 stuff is more marketing than anything else.) The 1MB cache version is the best by far.

(\__/)
                            (O.o )
                            (> < )

Comment

The Venice core is for 512k cache whilst San Diego has the 1mb.

(Damned typos)

Comment

Working...
                              X