Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A noobish question

Hi there.
    I just bought a new computer, which has onboard graphics, but the dude who sold it said it had an agp slot in it. So the other day I bought an agp graphics card, but it dosn't fit into the computer, its too tall. I remember someone else posting somthing similar, and many of you said it was coz he needed a pci-e card. Is this the same with me? I have no idea what a pci-e card is.
    Thanx

Re: A noobish question

pci-e is the new slot that is replacing the AGP slot. They look very similar, but here's a pic

The top card is AGP, while the bottom is PCI-E. AS you can see not very different, but different enough that they don't fit in the same slot (even if they did it wouldn't work).

make sure you are sliding the card completely into the AGP slot. It should line up with an opening in the back (you may need to remove a cover plate with a phillips head screwdriver). If you could take some pics it would be much more helpful.

Comment

Also I believe a AGP connecter on the motherboard is brown while all the other slots are white for the PCI cards. Normally there is only 1 AGP slot and it is closest to the processor.

Comment

Thanx. I had a look at some other forums. someone suggested cutting the case, or cutting the backplate on the card to make it fit. would this work?

Comment

you shouldn't have to cut anything to install an AGP card. There should be a little plate that just unscrews and slides out.

and yes, the AGP slot is slid further back than the other slots and is brown (usually) instead of white

Comment

thanx but you seem to have missunderstood me. The card is too tall, and wont fit into my small case.

Comment

Never heard of that problem before as most cases with AGP slots are deep enough to handle a video card. I guess you could trim the tab off the backplate of the card. Only problem is you'll most defiantely not be able to return the card if something goes wrong.

Comment

Thats what I thought. I'm reluctant to do it

Comment

I think he means he has a AGP card that takes up 2 slots because of a huge fan on it. If your case doesnt' have a slot directly under the AGP slot then you might need to modify the case so the fan can fit and blow air out from under the card.

Comment

I'll have a go at modifying the case. If that don't work i'll try trimming the card.

Comment

I found out the reason. It's because the company that make the machine (RM) want to rip ppl off bymaking them buy their own type of cards which will fit. However, I can cut down the card I've got to make it fit. Thanx 4 ur help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                        I found out the reason. It's because the company that make the machine (RM) want to rip ppl off bymaking them buy their own type of cards which will fit. However, I can cut down the card I've got to make it fit. Thanx 4 ur help guys.
                        That's F*cked up dude

Comment

Working...
                        X