Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 5.8 Gave me a huge performance boost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 5.8 Gave me a huge performance boost.

Hey I wanted to make sure that everyone with an ATI card goes out and gets the new 5.8 Driver right away. I was running on 5.7 with an x800 pro and with all the settings on medium I was getting what I felt were not very good framerates: averaging around mabye 35fps with all settings on medium and 1024x768 resolution. I thought that seemed really low for my system but I just went with it hoping the upcoming patch would increase my performance. However I just installed the new driver and using the settings I was on before my fps went up to mid 60's on average. I then turned up the settings to mostly high and 1280 resolution and I still get about 50-60fps.

If you have an ATI card and your performance isn't quite what you feel it should be then upgrade your driver and see if it helps. It really helped my game performance.

System:
    Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    Asus P4P800 SE
    ATI x800 Pro
    2x512(Dual Channel) MB DDR333 Ram

Re: Catalyst 5.8 Gave me a huge performance boost.

Cool, well I want to know people with the X850 XT PE and the new 5.8 driver, what are the average fps you get with this card and the new driver? I was thinking of buying this card, so any info will be great.

Comment

Thanks, I was wondering what drivers to get with my x800xl... I guess i'm gona try these.

Comment

I have an X850 XT AGP (not Platnum), I was thinking of giving the new drivers a shot so ill post here if theres any major difference.

Comment

Installed them last night. I still have to give them a test run though. If they're as good as you say they are Aziel, then the Omegas are gonna be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Aziel
            Hey I wanted to make sure that everyone with an ATI card goes out and gets the new 5.8 Driver right away. I was running on 5.7 with an x800 pro and with all the settings on medium I was getting what I felt were not very good framerates: averaging around mabye 35fps with all settings on medium and 1024x768 resolution. I thought that seemed really low for my system but I just went with it hoping the upcoming patch would increase my performance. However I just installed the new driver and using the settings I was on before my fps went up to mid 60's on average. I then turned up the settings to mostly high and 1280 resolution and I still get about 50-60fps.

Have you benchmarked your old drivers vs. new drivers using a controlled series of tests or are you just guessing what your average frame rates are?

I have an ATI X800XL, and the new cat 5.8's only improved my 3dmark and Aquamark 3 scores SLIGHTLY...

To prove my point: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=801

Comment

Hooooowow! I love these 5.8s.

I installed them and cleared BF2's cache like from another thread on here. Wow. I turned up my settings to medium/high from medium/low and I get BETTER framerates! Still the same 5 or so minutes of first round lag but I just need another stick of RAM to fix that

Comment

I have an x850 XT PE and I run the game on max settings and 2x AA FPS never falls below 55. Id have to say I saw a slight improvement with 5.8.

Comment

Working...
                X