Anyone running Windows2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running Windows2000?

just want to know if anyone is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on their rig? Any downfalls to this OS compared to XP Prof SP2?

From what i hear...Windows 2000 is more for professionals or business people and is not recommended as much for games

Comment

Hi there.

I'm running Win 2000 pro SP4, no problems at all.
      In fact, I used it to play games for years now, and I don't feel the need to upgrade to Win XP right now.

When you install BF2 you get a warning saying that the game is tested on Xp only, but that's all.

I'm also responible for LAN parties in my office, where we have 12 PC running BF2 on Win 2000 pro / server, works fine.

bye

Comment

Originally posted by Snake101
        From what i hear...Windows 2000 is more for professionals or business people and is not recommended as much for games
        Lol, no. Windows 2000 pro is what XP Home and PRO are built on its exactly the same, many would say its better.

All XP is is win2000 with a stickle brick interface and a few updates thrown in like support for hyperthreading etc.

btw the only difference between XP Pro and XP Home is Pro can join a windows domain and has a built in administrator account. (home can't)

So no Win2000 is fine for games in fact in many ways its better because it doesn't use anything like as much system memory as XP does because of all XP's 'bloatware'

Comment

I'm running it on win2000. Nio problems wqhatsoever. In fact I'm not encountering a lot of te things other users encounter, but that may be due to hardware.

Comment

Win2K, SP4 no problems. It throws a warning (as mentioned above), but it runs just fine.

One thing to note, BF2 doesn't report it's memory usage right in the perf meter. Although it says something like 700MB to BF2, it's actually using 1.2GB.

Comment

Get rid of your 2000 now. At least update it immediately at microsoft.com and get your antivirus running. theres a new ubber virus ****ing up 2000 users all over the country. Its breaking news on CNN. This thing is the biggest weve seen in a long time. Its taking out networks left and right, already hit part of CNN.

Comment

Win2k is working great for me.

Comment

Working...
                X