AA vehicles & hitting airborne threats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA vehicles & hitting airborne threats

I've really been trying to find out how to use the AA vehicles effectively lately and to say the least, they're not very effective.

Well not against jets....but I can kill a transport helicopter 90% of the time, attack helicopters that stay in range about 60% of the time and jets...like ****ing 0.01%.

Against attack helicopters I always use the missiles for as long as I can before they fly off or find me out. If you start with the cannons they can see where the tracers are coming from and turn to face them and kill you. Usually I'll lock on and wait to see if they throw flares if they don't I fire one missile which will miss when they hit the flares then reacquire a lock then unload the last 3 missiles. If I manage to hit them with at least 2 missiles I'll try to finish them with the guns because often they'll fly away when taking that much damage so getting the kill before they've gone to repair is important. If only one missile hits wait for the reload and try to keep him on lock.

Now I've killed enough helicopters that I've lost count but I can tell you how many jets I've managed to actually kill with the AA vehicles....4!!!

After at least 5 hours using the AA strictly to hunt helis and jets that's all I've got. Killing jets is god damn impossible, I read some post that say you should only hit jets with your missiles when they're flying DIRECTLY away from you but how often does it happen that a jet does this without carpet bombing your ass? The very first jet kill I got it just happened that the fella was making a run right at me and I was looking right in the direction he was coming from just by coincidence, unloaded all four missles and he blew up about 20 meters in front of me. Ah but after that....all he had to do was drop flares while releasing his bombs and I didn't have a chance to kill him the rest of the round. I've tried as many methods as I could think of to shoot down a jet, leading the target, following the target right smack dab in the middle of the cannon crosshair while firing the missiles, firing single missile shots, firing just before you have a lock, firing all 4 missiles at once...none of it is effective.

Another thing I've noticed is that the heat seekers have this really annoying tendency to miss your target that you have locked and go right off to hit a friendly air unit that's not even visible within your view, this has happened a dozen times already and I've TK'd a couple of folks like this. There's absolutely nothing you can do about this....I learned real quick not to fire the missiles when two helis are fighting or a friendly jet is dog fighting the enemy jet but it ****ing sucks when you fire some shots at a lone target with no friendly air units in sight whatsoever and then watch some of the missiles make a sharp left turn then all you see on your screen is "team vehicle damaged!" WTF???

In one game I had barely joined the server and within 2 minutes I had like -21 from trying to shoot down a Su that kept coming to our main base and bombing ****. I never saw any of the helis or jets or whatever it was that I kept hitting with my missiles...it seems like I had better luck hitting friendlies than I did hitting the ****ing enemy.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about this but maybe someone can tell me or find out, I think that when you switch to the F2 position in the AA vehicles you no longer appear as a target on the enemy jets bombing HUD. This seemed to work as I had alot of instances where enemy jets were just flying around me without doing anything whereas they would usually come in for a bomb run but I'm hesitant to think this now cuz there was one jet whore who would still bomb my ass while I was in the F2 position. I dunno.

For some reason using the tunguskas targeting screen makes clouds in the sky glare really bad, why??? I can see just fine with the bradley but I don't even try to use the tunguska on Dragon Valley because the whole sky is just glared all up and I can't even see anything in the air. I tried messing with all the gamma contrast brightness settings in game and on my monitor but nothing reduces the glare enough. =\

Oh yeah and when you use AA vechiles always play as support! the guns and missiles run out really fast so what ya gotta do is when you're runnin dry switch to F2 and pull out your ammo bag and it'll rearm the guns and missiles...this is extra beneficial because unlike the engineer repairing a tank you don't have to give your vehicle away on the mini map since you're still in it while it's rearming.

Thanks, I'm having hard to master the AA vehicles. Every missile I fire usually misses.
    When you got a lock in him - should you aim over/under/left/right or directly on him when you fire the missile?

(btw i hate the tunguska because you can't see the road in front of you in F9 mode)

Comment

Originally posted by Foxen
      I'm having hard to master the AA vehicles. Every missile I fire usually misses.
      You’re not the only one, I to find it hard to hit a thing with the AA. Not quite sure how to master it.

Comment

I normally aim one of the AA missles ahead of the aircraft and then one right at it.

Comment

Originally posted by TechniK
          I normally aim one of the AA missles ahead of the aircraft and then one right at it.
          Yeah aiming ahead gives less time for your missles to reach the target. Stinger sights are my best friend on maps like Dalian plant with multiple heli's between 4 (or 6) fairly close flags.

Comment

my missles always it my target not one missle misses

Comment

Dont bother trying to shoot down jets with ground AA, the only way you can hit them is they flew for the first time and fly in straight lines without dropping flares, but that rare.
              Solution: Fly a jet your self,
              OR
              Get out of the suicide tower you are driving, be it Carrier, 2-missile turret or AA vehicle, you are good as dead in the first two and 95% dead in the third (unless its a bomber).

Comment

I won't fire missles until the aircraft is flying away from me. I get alot more hits that way. Unless its a chopper, then they pretty much always hit. You also have to wait until they drop flares or fire only 1 rocket, they'll flare, then wait to reacquire lock and fire the rest.

Comment

I had an amazing AA game the other day. (43 Air kills with the Mec Anti-Air Vehicle). The trick seems to be rather simple. The missles are "heat" seeking. Where's the hottest part of a jet/helicopter? The rear.

Don't fire at the enemy air assets when they are flying towards you, you'll miss 99.5% of the time. Wait until the jet banks away (to come back for another pass), or flys by (track it overhead to keep the lock). If you fire at just the right moment so the missles are in flight as the jet turns its tail pipes towards you, your almost guarenteed a hit....or at least, a much higher % chance of actually hitting your target. (Its still very difficult to hit a skilled pilot, as they almost never bank continuously in one direction...but against novice or average pilots, its quite effective)

This of course assumes you have proper support to avoid being tv missled 500 miles away.

Comment

I like tank hunting in the AA vehicles, it can be deadly. The suppression created by the exploding rounds hitting a tank make it very difficult for the enemy tank to fire back. As a supply guy, you are the driver, get a buddy to be the anti tank class and sit in the 2nd position. The driver will constantly resupply the AT guy with rockets.

Go look for a tank, when you see one, the driver should fire at the tank. The suppression makes it very difficult for the tank to shoot back. Your AT guy will now have a wonderful opportunity to take out the tank with AT rockets. This combo is deadly!

Driver gets damage kill assist, supply points, and kill assist.
                    AT guys will get the kill more often then not.

Comment

Working...
                    X