Helo Rocket Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helo Rocket Tips

Okay, the only thing I havent mastered is Helo Kills with Rockets. I wasn't so good at it in Desert Combat.

I guess its about your angle of attack and being able to fire your rockets, but if your pitched down to low, you also ending up going into the ground when you strafe by.

I have a joy stick... any tips I should try doing for effective helo killing....
    I know I know, go play singleplayer and practice..

just looking for some pointers...

Try lowering the chopper and lining yourself up with the target. That or swoop, but know your limits as you swoop. Don't swoop too long, but then again don't make it too short. Generally I shoot them in a very slow swoop so I don't get my missles scattered, and if I can get away with it I'd lower the chopper to eye-level with the target.

Comment

Personally I like to hover the attack helicopter at a safe distance from an enemy tank/aa/apc/etc. and let my gunner (that is if you have a gunner with you) try to take out sed armor with the tv guided missile or gattling gun. If no gunner is present or this method fails, I typically orient myself anywhere from 50 feet to 1000 yards, depending on terrain and target, and start firing away with the unguided missiles. If the enemy is moving, you must be sure to lead your shots just a little if you are close and the vehicle is slow (and perhaps an inch or more on the screen if your target is faster or you are further away). There is no simple formula for getting used to the attack chopper and the unguided missiles. It takes lots of practice and trial and error to completely understand the choppers' characteristics and capabilities.
      There is also the technique of strafing a target-that is starting an approach from a hovering position once the target is aquired and terrain assessed for possible maneuverability-and swooping down over the target, orienting the nose of your helicopter to point just below the target (for your forward momentum will cause the rockets to overshoot if you don't compensate). I find this to be an effective measure to take when there is no threat of anti-air missiles or vehicles. If you ever find yourself in a server with me, hrpuffnstuff02, hop in my chopper and I'll try to show you a few things!

Comment

Speed is key. Ive played desert combat, eve of destruction galactic conquest, blah blah blah. Speedy attacks and precision are your friends. Ive always used a keyboard and mouse. I get much more control, at least I think so. Ive always loved the helicopter and still do. Using the rockets you just gotta hit em while moving forward really fast. I cant really explain my methods very well. I think I'm too used to the helicopter.

Comment

In, fire, out, especially when attacking a Tunguksa.

No gunner = stick to tanks or jeeps using quick attacking and then disapeering tactics, only go after infantry or those IGLA sites if you have very very good aim (practice makes perfect)

Gunner = Go after stuff from a distance if you'd like, or if you're copilot is smart, fly in close, then hover so he can get his hellfire missle off towards the target.

Number one rule = IGLA sites will kill you, as they are every where. They usually make you deaf in the process, and there are few levels with enough cover in enough places to actually hid from them.

IF you want tips for just how to make a strafeing run, first just practice flying over a target at a fairly low altitude. Make sure you have somewhere to hide if there is an emergency, and make it so you can fly over the target fairly quickly. then, do the same thing, just shoot missles at the right moment so they lead into the target. dont try to fly over to it, hover, tilt, shoot, fly away, as this is harder to recover from, and takes a good bit of skill to not crash into the nearest ojbect larger than you.

And don't sweat not being good in DC, DC physics suck ass... I sucked in DC, but was great in BFV and POE, and am good in BF2, and will be good in PR!

Comment

I Know everone will say "NO NO DONT DO THAT" but it works for me!

I use my rockets for aiming, i let 1 of and se where its gonna land and adjust as quick as pos then maybe let 1 more of to check. If the last one is looking on target i let rip hammering the fire buton till im empty or they die.

Yea i know its a waste of rockets but a helipad is alway only 40sec away! using this method i learnt very quickly how to aim and ican pretty much hit everything with my first "aiming shot" now!

Worked for me, give it a go )

Comment

i always aim using the horizontal line above the crosshair because the rockets shoot above to crosshair, so line them up vertically with the crosshair and horizontally with the line above the crosshair

Comment

1) Get low
                2) Go fast
                3) About .5 seconds before the target gets into the useless targeting reticule, open fire. (1 second if you like to play it safe)
                4) Enjoy 1 kill and the loss of 14 missiles!!

Comment

read Guide to the Attack Helicopters and Missle Sniping

Comment

I Know everone will say "NO NO DONT DO THAT" but it works for me!
                    I use my rockets for aiming, i let 1 of and se where its gonna land and adjust as quick as pos then maybe let 1 more of to check. If the last one is looking on target i let rip hammering the fire buton till im empty or they die.
                    I do something simliar to this....not really hammering out all of the missles right away, unless really close to a ground target. But when chasing down an injured helo, I'll fire one here & there to get an idea of where it'll hit as compared to my crosshair, the targets speed/angle, etc... Get a couple loose, get an idea of how far I have to lead my target, and then let loose...

But for attack helos, your best weapon is your gunner and his TV missle. TOOOOO many pilots fly 10' off the ground, nose down, and then wonder why the gunner isn't accomplishing anything. The machine gun in the cobra blows, unless on infantry, and the gun on the MI-28, while better, still isn't his #1 weapon.

Hover, make sure your nose it up, and let him do his thing. A good gunner will know all about repositioning the missle with his left click in mid-flight, and will be deadly to other helos, not just ground targets. 1 shot kill to a BH or attack helo. My gunner and I took out the opponents attack helo 3 times in a row last night, all from distance, and all by TV missle. We flew around cautiously untill we found him (or teammate spotted him), and then we took him out....

The pilots' missles don't do as much dmg as you'd like. As previous posts go, watch getting so locked onto the target that you end up making a crater in the ground - nail him as many times as you can and still pull up, turn, and repeat...the 2nd pass will usually close the deal...

Comment

Originally posted by Fig
                      And don't sweat not being good in DC, DC physics suck ass... I sucked in DC, but was great in BFV and POE, and am good in BF2, and will be good in PR!
                      no they didnt they were good i can fly a chopper irl so i know

choppers in bf2 handle like a fatchick in a bath of jelly (which i dont know about)

Comment

im a perty good heli pilot.....i get lots of people saying "damn your perty amazing with that thing." but they are prob just newbies . anyways. the artificial horizion is a good indication (at least in the cobra) of where your rockets are going to go when your not flying level. if your moving forwards or backwards use this alont with the reticule to predict the flight of your rockets. it really just takes lots and lots of practice. eventually you will get good at it. also, 1 on 1 heli vs. heli combat is a VERY good way to inrease your rocket aiming and flight skills at the same time. at least if your fighting someone who doesnt suck with a heli

Comment

1 on 1 heli vs. heli combat is a VERY good way to inrease your rocket aiming and flight skills at the same time. at least if your fighting someone who doesnt suck with a heli
                          yeah, and remember, as important as landing your missles is your ability to dodge his... swaying side to side is a big help, and in most 1v1's, having the height advantage is a big help..

Comment

1v1 it is all about who can use a tv missile and who can't. Other than that, just maintain the high ground in a copter duel.

Being sneaky is also helpful. Most times, one of you will see the other first. If I'm doing the seeing, I'll sneak in behind and just wait for him to go for a flag hover or for him to start smoking from a stinger hit, then I go in for the kill. While doing all that waiting, the gunner has at least 1 tv missile opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFinger

choppers in bf2 handle like a fatchick in a bath of jelly (which i dont know about)

ROFLMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X