No announcement yet.

No more ranked server selling from us..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more ranked server selling from us..

my 2 associates and I operate 3 game server provider business'.

Beginning Sept 1, 2005 we are discontinuing the sale of BF2 servers
    alltogether. We are tired of complaints by our customers concerning EA's
    ridiculous ranked server settings, most notably the 'minimum players to start'
    setting.

We feel that EAs over eagerness to control its ranking points system
    by basically punishing the overwhelming majority of honest players
    has gone too far for too long. We had hoped for more communication
    from EA, and have made several attempts to get clarifications to future
    changes in rules all without response.

So, on Sept 1, we will be shutting down a minimum of 56 Ranked servers,
    possibly more, depending on the billing cycle dates of our customers..

We realize this is a small amount overall of the ranked server total, and
    EA will probably not care a single bit.. however, we cannot continue to
    support EAs deep pockets by buckling to their silly rules, which in return
    only hurt our customers. We have offered our BF2 customers a free month
    of service with the game of their choice.

Perhaps in the future, when BF2 comes out of beta stage AND if their
    ranked server rules and limitations have become reasonable, we will
    re-continue sale.

Unfortunately this is the same thing I told our Ranked server provider. That is if this stupid, idiotic minimum players doesn't change that his BF2 ranked server business would go down the toilet. Hmm I wonder if you are our ranked server provider you didn't say what company name you are?

We have a ranked server and it can take hours upon hours to get the minimum of 10 people to start a game then soon as it starts it is full. People just don't hang around to wait for it to start, get bored then leave. We have had over 30 people join then leave before a game starts, its extremely frustrating and very annoying that we pay big $$$ for a ranked server for this boredom.

We have persisted with it but if it doesn't change by the end of this month we will have to decide to stop having our own ranked server because we are paying for a server that can take hours to fill and start a game and its not enjoyable to say the least.

EA are the dumbest business I have ever come across and makes you wonder how they make multi billions of dollars with their complete lack of understanding of the market and their complete idiocy.

« R²» Capt. HKS
    Founder, Senior Admin, BF2 Ranked Server Admin (Raging Rebels Ranked 1.02)

Comment

Servers

Well I have three ranked servers that are full every evening. If one's empty, i get on it with a couple of mates, and within approx 30 mins you have 10 people. Once you reach about 15 people the server fills up very quickly.

I feel sorry for your decision to stop the sales of ranked servers purely because a few clients can't be arsed with filling their own servers. The minimum 10 people is there for a reason, to avoid stat padders. I agree with this entirely.

Also, juding by the amount of server admins out there that are complete and utter twats and have no previous experience of running servers before, i'm not surprised.

Currently, the most pathetic actions of admins i've seen:

1) kicked an enemy jet pilot for repeatedly bombing a flag point the admin was trying to capture, the admin called it "camping".
      2) kicked a whole group of players (spread over both teams) because "they were to good".
      3) kicked players because they accidently TK'd the admin.
      4) kicked players because they didn't pick him up in their vehicle.

+ many more

New game, new server admins with NO previous experience.

Comment

LOL you say they are full every evening but what about in a 24 hour period? Full for say 6hrs is hardly full 24/7 We also get on with our clan and even invite other clans to get on. But those ocassions where say only 5 of our clans guys get on it make take hours for it to fill. Though like you said once it starts it usually fills to capacity in 10mins or less.

You can't seriously believe that the min player deal is a good idea to stop stat padders. Who gives a flying f.ck about stat padders, only noobs do who care about stats above anything else. Their gay stat padders have ruined the game for legitimate gamers of which 99% are legitmate so EA make some dumb rule to punish the legit gamers to stop the gay gamers.

Obviously there are many, many others that have a problem with this minimum and this guy is shutting his business for this reason and he has 50+ servers not 3.

LOL I like your determination of what admins do. I'm an admin and have been an admin of websites/game servers for a long time so I'm not a 1st time admin of a new game. We will kick people who take off in vehicles by themselves after people repeatedly asking for a pick up because that is ignornant and noob gameplay which we do not tolerate. We also kick people who camp because anyone in the BF community knows its the ultimate noob to camp mains, especially uncappable mains until last flag.

You forgot to mention the noob commanders who fly jets and rape the mains they get warned then not kicked but banned because that is the ultimate ignorant noob stlye of gameplay. Its hardly teamplay and doesn't win the game for your team.

I and we however do not kick people because they are skilled and maybe owning you, only noob admins do this. We do kick people for tk'ing anyone not just admins, but only if it was tk'ing on purpose, no respected/good admin would kick for an accidental tk.

Noobzilla is not the only BF2 ranked server provider saying they are shutting the Bf2 ranked server side of their business, many more are following suit and many more will because customers are angry and unfortunately the server providers are copping the brunt of this anger which costs them not EA.

« R²» Capt. HKS
        Founder, Senior Admin, BF2 Ranked Server Admin (Raging Rebels Ranked 1.02)

Comment

Originally posted by Redh3lix
          Well I have three ranked servers that are full every evening. If one's empty, i get on it with a couple of mates, and within approx 30 mins you have 10 people. Once you reach about 15 people the server fills up very quickly.

I feel sorry for your decision to stop the sales of ranked servers purely because a few clients can't be arsed with filling their own servers. The minimum 10 people is there for a reason, to avoid stat padders. I agree with this entirely.

Also, juding by the amount of server admins out there that are complete and utter twats and have no previous experience of running servers before, i'm not surprised.

Currently, the most pathetic actions of admins i've seen:

1) kicked an enemy jet pilot for repeatedly bombing a flag point the admin was trying to capture, the admin called it "camping".
          2) kicked a whole group of players (spread over both teams) because "they were to good".
          3) kicked players because they accidently TK'd the admin.
          4) kicked players because they didn't pick him up in their vehicle.

+ many more

New game, new server admins with NO previous experience.
          you have shown your ignorance all in one post..

<snip>
          I feel sorry for your decision to stop the sales of ranked servers purely because a few clients can't be arsed with filling their own servers..
          </snip>

Try 60 unsatisfied customers.. I hardly call that a 'few'.

<snip>
          The minimum 10 people is there for a reason, to avoid stat padders. I agree with this entirely.
          </snip>

Well then, you sir are a total IDIOT. Punish 99% of the players by
          making them wait and wait and wait, EVERY game, trying and hoping to
          get enough players so a game will start..? Just so that the less than 1%
          of those stat exploitors cannot do their deed? Wow. you sir are dumber than
          you probably realize.

<snip>
          </snip>

Most all of my customers come from other games, and were highly
          successful with their previous servers, a few of which were Top 10s
          from time to time.. and ALL of which are mature adults who dont play
          those silly games you mention.. but nice try.

Heres a stat for you..

96 EA Battlefield 2 Servers - 1 Month Cycle - 23 Games Played.

Comment

Originally posted by Noobzilla
            Heres a stat for you..

96 EA Battlefield 2 Servers - 1 Month Cycle - 23 Games Played.

This statement speaks VOLUMES.

I can only hope we get a banded effort with all the Ranked providers, a unified effort may just help change things.

Munson

Comment

Originally posted by Munson
              This statement speaks VOLUMES.

I can only hope we get a banded effort with all the Ranked providers, a unified effort may just help change things.

Munson

Highly unlikely.. because EA is so caught up on their precious ranking
              system. Instead of incorporating simple fixes to thwart exploits in the
              game, they instead decide to enforce silly rules, totally unheard of until
              now, like the minimum player to start a game setting. Had these settings
              been reasonable, say 4 players, instead of 6-8-10, we would probably see
              a lot more evenness amongst game servers.. instead you have a select
              few who get ALL the activity while the remaining 90% of servers go unused.

And to top it all off, the idiots didnt put in a favorites server list in their
              browser.. This is AMAZINGLY SAD. A much anticipated, sure hit with
              online gamers DOES NOT HAVE A FAVS LIST? WOW. Had a favorites list
              been included (yeah, I know they say its coming soon..) this would most
              definately helped the overall picture, evened out players.. instead what
              you have is basically a huge number of players playing on 'Official EA' servers
              which in my opinion are the worst ones out there..

BF2 is a huge disappointment to game server providers, I can tell you that
              without question.. I have spoken to at least a dozen of them, ALL of which
              are dissatisfied.. and ALL of them are tired of being hammered with
              complaints, and requests to do something about it.. I expect more than
              just the 3 I know of for sure to soon stop selling BF2 servers..

Stats are fine and dandy, and all, but stats are NOT something a company
              should impose on ALL players, especially when MOST of the people I know
              who play this game, could care less about what rank they are.. But in order
              for EA to make a little more money on the side, they have now engaged them-
              selves in the server rental business, and forced ALL purchasers of BF2 to
              play along with them, and their stupid rules, or else.

This game is still in Beta form, anyhow.. they just wont admit it.. but hey,
              what better way to get a few hundred thousand PAYING beta testers, eh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Noobzilla
                Well then, you sir are a total IDIOT.
                You sound like a nice fella, maybe we should meet up for a drink????

I'm not saying the stat system is any good, i'm saying in order to make it function legitimately, the 10 player minimum is necessary and I understand why they have introduced it, and I agree with it. Like yourself, I don't particularly give a damn about the stat system, but many people do, and take pride in their achievements, plus it adds a little extra to the game. Kids like the fact that they earn't their medals and ribbons. I'm presuming you have no respect for this by calling them "noobs" because they give a damn.

As a business perspective, and from reading your stats regarding server use, I agree that it's not in the customers best interest to continue.

I presume at least 90% of these people who have servers also have websites with a registered user base of more than 10, be they clans or communitys??

Comment

good luck with your business

Comment

An alternitive method is to sell BF2 server with the unlock all weapons already enabled....

thats NOT against the EULA, and it's no less moral then EA bunk'n us in the min players jazz, so FSCK'EM

Munson

Comment

Originally posted by Munson
                      An alternitive method is to sell BF2 server with the unlock all weapons already enabled....

thats NOT against the EULA, and it's no less moral then EA bunk'n us in the min players jazz, so FSCK'EM

Munson
                      yes, I know.. but all the little stat whores are playing ranked servers.

I have 30 unranked servers, and all are virtually empty 24/7..

So, on one hand, you either get a RANKED server with silly limitations that
                      only harm the admins chances of having a decent server, or you go unranked
                      which nobody wants to play on at all..

In 3 weeks the server browser will be shrinking by at least 56 servers,
                      and more than likely all the unranked ones as well.. around 100 total.

I know EA doesnt give a hoot.. but I can rent UT2004 servers all day
                      long and not have to put up with EAs gestapo, nor have my email box
                      flooded with complaints..

We are fed up with them.. They are only the publisher, remind you.. why
                      they are in the coding, rental, and these other aspects of limiting the game
                      for players is beyond me.. EPIC is so easy to do deal with, its like the
                      differance between night and day.. Those Swedes at DICE picked the
                      wrong publisher.. This game will probably stay the same way for at least a
                      year... stagnet servers.. and the player base will dwindle..as people get tired
                      of playing the same ole maps over and over..

I still have 45 UT99 servers going, that game came out 6 years ago..
                      which is ancient in game years.. but yet, people love the hell out of it
                      because new maps and mods come out for it every day.. and NO BS or
                      interferrence what so ever from the publisher.. BF2 had great potential,
                      hard to see a company like EA letting go of their precious control.

Comment

BF2 has forced the PC gaming community to spend millions on PC upgrades and complete system replacements in a lot of cases.
                        Shame it will all be used on COD2 in a couple of months time.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk-dogz
                          BF2 has forced the PC gaming community to spend millions on PC upgrades and complete system replacements in a lot of cases.
                          Shame it will all be used on COD2 in a couple of months time.
                          damn John Madden! if he had signed with EPIC we'd ALL be enjoying
                          unlimited BF2 action right now..and more than likely never even heard
                          of a RANKED server.

Comment

just name your server "Karkand 24/7" and see how it's gonna fill up...then just change the settings to play other maps (but not the server name), and once your server is full there is a big chance it will stay up full for days to come.....

Comment

I have several customers that have already done that..

mixed success...

with no favs or buddy list in this game it really hinders the ability
                              of a good admin getting his server noticed..

most people do like I do... load the list.. look for lowest ping that isnt
                              full and hop in..

Comment

Working...
                              X