KingOfKhaos - Help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingOfKhaos - Help me!

I wanna OC my card a little bit, because I think it can handle it. I run 60°C with BF2, CS:S, Steam, Xfire, TS, Aim, and Fraps all running at the same time (see this here: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6997/stuff3hg.jpg). Now I don't know what speeds I should raise it to and I would like some suggestions that you think would be safe. Here is my OC panel http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/1077/oc9ej.jpg.

I'm not KoK, but I think I can help you a bit. It doesn't matter what processes are running in the background when you're trying to OC. And since I have never messed around with an nVidia card, I'll have to tell you from the ATi standpoint. I think you need to get Rivatuner, if you already haven't, then open up the 3D view (I'm assuming it has that) and start upping your clocks a bit by bit until artifacts, or weirdly-colored dots start to appear. Then you want to lower your clock a bit, and the card should be stable at that overclock.

Comment

Yeah I know the processes don't matter, I was just showin you how hot my card gets with all that stuff running. I guess I could try uppin it bit by bit until I get some artifacts and stuff. If my card starts to heat up, what temperature should I stop at?

Comment

Heh, sorry I didn't reply right away, I had a short hiatus from the boards as McAfee severely crippled my system and I had to re-format. But I'm all good now.

What is safe depends purely upon your setup. The best way to go about OCing is just to bump it up slowly...very slowly. I'm talking 5-10mhz at the most per try.

In your case, I would play it safe and if you're happy with the FPS and stuff stick to stock speeds. While 60*C doesn't sound like that much, its actually pretty damn hot (140*F). This is usually approaching the safe operating temperature of an processing unit. The max on a P4 (a notoriously hot running chip) is 90*C (194*F). Mine hovers right about 50-60 and is still considered warm. *EDIT* Might I add that although it says 60*C there, perhaps you just started the games. Starting a game, versus playing a game are two different things. Rendering 3D games is much more demanding on your GPU then rendering the still frames of a menu.

Now, if you want to go ahead and try, I say go for it, but remember the higher the speeds, the higher the heat. I'm in the process of replacing my X850XT PE's stock cooling with a much bigger unit because it recently has come to my attention that it has been throttleing back (reducing speed) because it has been running so hot (most hardware does this now to prevent perment catostrophic damage).

In all honesty I would wait for the new patch, and perhaps the next driver release from Nvidia before getting all antsy to crank your card past stock. The Ultra should compare to my X850, and even with it reducing its speeds, I'm getting 60-70 FPS in-game. So once I take care of this heat issue, I'm guessing I will be getting 70-80 FPS.

Comment

The almighty KoK (lol @ kok)! Yeah I think your right, I'll just leave it at stock because I haven't gotten any studdering at all since I've had it, and I run 40-60 fps constant even in artillery strikes so it's fine.

Comment

Working...
          X