Textures??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textures??

up close my textures look fine but from a a distance they look blocky?? sort of like its made up of little squares, anyone know why this would be??

Its so your computer doesnt crash, unless you dont want to be able to move because it has to render all the textures.

Comment

But why does it also do it in game? I thought the effect would only be in the editor, but it looks horrendous in game.

EDIT: Hrmm, made it look a little better by messing around with the LodSwitchDistance on the general ground properties. I still get some bad discolored squares on the ground though. Is that an environment map problem or just bad implementation of textures on the editors part?

Comment

I figured out that half of my problem was just a really bad looking color map. What is really bothering me though is the texture filtering in-game with custom maps.

For example, look at the difference between these editor shots, and then the in-game shots. (EDIT:quality was downgraded during upload, so that editor shot isn't the best reference. But, trust me when I say that the detail is wonderful whilst I edit)

editor (note how you can actually see the tiling of the textures)

In game (now note the large pixelation that continues until I'm right down on the ground)

I don't think I've ever seen texture filtering that bad in a video game. Also, those screens were taken with 4xAF and 'high' texture and texture filtering settings.

Comment

Anyone? Anyone?

Beuller?

Comment

Rumour has it that you have to generate LowDetailTextures or something, which are displayed at a distance (rather than displaying the DetailTexture in a really blocky manner).

try looking for LowDetailTextures options and things in the editor.

Comment

Hi.I have the exact same problem,Thx for a sullotion.
              //Perell

Comment

have not had a lot of time to mess with the editor yet but you may want to play with these texture tweak options:

Top Tiling
                Side Tiliing
                Low Detail Type

Also this was posted on TMT:

As far as I know it seems something in the editor is extremely picky about which textures you can combine. Its almost like - Each texture, detail and color, has its own dimensions and tile settings, and by mixing the wrong ones together, one of them gets completely ignored.

But, without a complete list of the different settings and variables and what they actually effect, its hard to tell what it really is. My best guess, would be

First - Try keeping the same detail texture, and mixing it with different colors, to see how they turn up, and vise-versa, use that color with different details to see how it looks.

Second - It could be one of the options/variables at the Terrain Creation stage - Scale, and Low-Res Size.

If all else fails, youll just have to create a simple work-around untill to final editor is out. High density undergrowth - use something easy to render so you can give it a long view distance without cutting on FPS to badly, ei - no-sway grass, or a small rock mesh with high density will give it a gravel look. Some light low fog might not hurt.

In the tweak bar - Next to the tweak tab select the map tab, expand "Light Settings". I was able to give one of my maps an entire red glow over everything, something like that might help. Plus it has options to change the color of the fog if you choose to use that option.

Comment

"Second - It could be one of the options/variables at the Terrain Creation stage - Scale, and Low-Res Size."

Barely found out 10 minutes ago that this was my problem. Nice tips though.

Comment

Working...
                  X