Fixing VOIP functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing VOIP functionality

It seems to me like whilst akward to set up often, there VOIP in battlefield does function, and if you find the right squad it works great as a team aid, however I think 99% of trouble people are having, is fixable, just purely poor automatic settings on EA/Dices part.

You will notice on a server that works with VOIP, if you've left your microphone set up how it usually is (for teamspeak, yahoo, skype etc etc), that you are really quiet to all other players, for some reason, battlefield 2 has taken it upon itself to sample your audio at about 20% quieter than usually. Meaning you may find it always akward to use both at the same time, or one will tend to be too quiet / loud. However let us concerntrate on fixing battlefield so that works improving gameplay ten fold.

1. Goto battlefield 2, options / audio
    2. Ensure VOIP is enabled!
    3. Set Transmit and Recieve volumes to 100%
    4. Enable MIC boost gain.
    5. Turn microphone threshhold to 0% (this is 9 times out of 10 the problem as the setup wizard wangs this up high and crops alot of volume off).
    6. Click microphone test, and speak into your microphone, the threshold bar should show a long green bar as you speak, and it will playback what you have just said, ensure this is easily audible. If it is, then great, when you now press your VOIP ingame, you can feel confident that people should be able to hear you ok.

[EDIT] if you find it too loud or distorted, then do the below but try set the volume lower instead of 100%.

7. However, if the test is still a bit quiet, not uncommon, as I've found with a few microphones I've tried.
    8. Go back into windows (you can do this before you load battlefield and should need to do it only once). and click START, then press Run... and type sndvol32 (enter).
    9. This will bring up the windows volume settings. You should see a microphone setting right away, however this is simply playback, which should be muted anyway (you don't want to hear yourself). So the volume can be left as is, INSTEAD, press options / properties. Press the recording radio button, then OK.
    10. Ensure the microphone has the "select" tick underneath it, and that the volume is set to 100%.
    11. Re-enter battlefield and repeat the test, you should now find it nice and clear. Ready for action.

12. One final tip, especially if you prefer to play on speakers than headphones and find it sometimes tricky to hear others amdist the sound of guns and bombs . Got battlefield audio options and try turning down the effects volume to 80 or 90%, but leaving voiceover to 100%, then turn your speakers / headphones up with their master volume up a bit, this should help you hear others easier, even when the action is hot.

Good luck!

I'll be hearing you on the battlefield soon.

The Doover

If none of the above works, this fixed mine. Basically my voice was not registering at all because my name in-game wasnt showing. Click start-->run-->dxdiag. Click the sound tab and turn your hardware acceleration down to basic.

In all honesty VOIP is one of the worst voice programs I have ever used. It has so many bugs in it, Im hoping for a major update or for a new program.

Comment

I don't think this is it, I think it's server side. I've tested about a million things with regard to voip not working consistantly and it still fails.

I suspect Linux servers don't enable the individual client voip routes. It appears random as you get different results depending on when you join.

Comment

Re: Fixing VOIP functionality

I guess I should look for another application for my voice in BF2. The Voip configuration application doesn't even work. Never did, in 3 or 4 BF2 re-installs. It crashes upon clicking save, and never registers my voice. I use KOSS SB45, and it works great with MSN messenger, Skype and other applications. People can hear my voice in BF2, but they tell me it is weak, and there is nothing I can do about it as I can't tick the mic boost feature.

Believe me, I have read so many pages on this problem, tried so many tips and walk-through's, and I have come to the conclusion it simply will never work for me, so I won't bother with it anymore. If I ever join a clan or something, I will most likely start using Teamspeak or similar apps instead, anyway.

(I am not complaining)

Comment

This is actually some useful information. Considering 95% of the people I squad up with that use their mics cannot be heard. We should maybe get a sticky, for each case when my 3 buddies were having the VOIP problem, this guide worked for them. Stickkky

Comment

well put

Comment

I am having VOIP problems...when I tried the above solution, I could not check the "Enable MIC Boost" box. Anyone care to help? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by >MOB<AquaSponge
                I am having VOIP problems...when I tried the above solution, I could not check the &quot;Enable MIC Boost&quot; box. Anyone care to help? Thanks.
                What type of headset / mic are you using? Is it USB??

I had the same problem with setting up my headset / mic to use VOIP and could not enable the Mic Boost.

In the BF2 Options set up, I found out that everything was trying to go through my SoundBlaster II card and not my headset! So I just made the change in the options folder to use the USB Platronics headset and bypass the Sound Card.

I know, I know you pay all that money for a sound card, but if you want VOIP to work properly, and you have a USB headset / mic, then make your headset the main setting and you should be all set.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Comment

I use a standard mic and mic boost is unavailable in windows and in BF, also I have to literally give my mic a blowjob to be heard ... maybe a new mic is in order?

Comment

Mine worked for about a week and then broke. I was going to try to fix it but ended up in a few groups where no one sopke english when using it. Now I don't even bother to fix it, I just run vent and chat when friends are playing.

Comment

I have no problems with voip right now but if some1 needs help i will give it.

Comment

Working...
                      X