Omega or Cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega or Cat?

I was reading around about how so many people switched to the omega drivers.... and it totaly boosted their performance... is this true?

It may increase your fps, but thats not technically what its designed to do. It does however get rid of the catalyst control panel which, although looks pretty, is a system hog (i heard it used 40mb of ram on one guys computer). You will see a performance increase if you dont have a lot of memory in your system. I recommend Omega non the less since it cuts out all the crap and just gives you what you want. It also includes some soft mods for certain ATi cards.

I say go get it.

Comment

I have yet to try Omega drivers. I have not read many good reviews or feedback about them to make me use them over standard drivers from the ATI webpage.

Hopefully there will be more feedback about these drivers and their performance.

Comment

the new omega's made my game crash about an hour into playing. same thing happened to the cat 5.7's and the omega 5.6's. i rolled back to the cat 5.6's and i have never had any problems.

so i conclude that the catalyst 5.6's are the best for BF2 (at least for me)

Comment

I myself prefer Omega drivers. I personally get better performance with better IQ. Omega optimizes his drivers specifically for gaming while the official Cat. drivers are just general and configured to best perform on a variety of systems running different applications, games, etc.. I am currently running the Omega 5.7's and they have never crashed on me yet. Also the ATT that is included is a good overclocking program if you like to overclock.

Comment

I've used both, but never did a technical comparison. I only use the Omega's to Softmod a 9800SE to open the extra pipelines and for OCing. You can download the ATI drivers w/o CCC from their site too. Omegas are just ATI's drivers tweaked, but won't blow you away in Fps gains.

Comment

ΟΜΕGA...for sure

raise fps, more smooth than 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 cats

Comment

I got crashing to desktop issues with the demo when i used the omega's - i forget which version, whatever the newest was at the time. then i tried the catalyst 5.6 and it worked like a charm - i never had any video issues. i updated to the 5.7's last night, however, and i've had some crazy issue where i'm blinded by this gray prism effect shooting out of anything particularly active on the screen (choppers, tanks, lav's). so i'm going to have to rollback to the 5.6 tonight. it's actually cool looking, whatever the issue is called, but i just can't play while it's there...

Comment

Omega drivers are just 3rd party drivers based off of ATI's main drivers (thus his releases are usually 1-2 weeks after the ATI release).

Some people cry instability issues with ATI's drivers, and while I've never had an issue with them, I don't doubt it either, as alot of people tend to overclock their video cards.

The performance difference is most likely going to be minimal at best. Even the maker of Omega drivers has said the average FPS gain is less then 1, however some people claim to have more (which again, I don't doubt).

The real difference is that Omega comes bundled with a bunch of stress and overclocking software to get the "most" out of your card. Other then that, not a whole lot of difference.

So I say if you experience crashes, or lock up with standard ATI (check their release notes for known issues) then use the Omega drivers. But please remember when you uninstall the old ones, to clean them as well using DriverCleaner3.

Comment

Has anyone tried teh DHZeropoint drivers put out by driverheaven?

Comment

Cannot say I have, sorry.

Comment

My gut feeling tells me to leave well enough alone with the ATI drivers from their official site. I have an x800 Radeon with 2GB of RAM. Something tells me I will see little to nothing if I use Omega drivers over the official ATI drivers.

If someone out there is running the same card and RAM I am and sees a performance gain, let me know, but I don't want to risk it for little or no gain.

Comment

havnt tried not sure if i will

Comment

I downloaded the omega drivers, and I tried BF2 and it flickered then closed, im going to stick with the cat drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick
                              My gut feeling tells me to leave well enough alone with the ATI drivers from their official site. I have an x800 Radeon with 2GB of RAM. Something tells me I will see little to nothing if I use Omega drivers over the official ATI drivers.

If someone out there is running the same card and RAM I am and sees a performance gain, let me know, but I don't want to risk it for little or no gain.

Using the X800Xt with 2gb ram, A64300_ Sb Audigy 2. I see no difference using the omega, but thats because I have a load of ram. I just prefer the omegas because they cut out all the crap, and they have better options for advanced users

Comment

Working...
                              X