What about 4 gigs of RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about 4 gigs of RAM?

Any benefit with 4 Gigs or is 2 sufficient? I can get a good deal on 2 more 1 Gig sticks but will BF2 run / load any better with 4 Gigs in total?

maybe load a bit faster....

Comment

Anybody here playing BF2 actually have 4 Gigs or RAM on their gaming machine? My computer runs / loads fast now but was just wondering if there is any advantage with going for more.

Thanks.

Comment

[Page Down]Negative

Comment

4 gigs of RAM is pointless if you are running xp 32-bit. It will only read 3.12 gigs, plus if you don't have a top of the line cpu it can actually bottle neck your system a bit. But if you have xp-64 then 4 gigs is DAMN good. It's what I run and I am the first person loaded every time I play!

Specs:

AMD 4000 San Diego (OC'd to 2.53)
          ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe
          4 gigs PC 3200
          Maxtor 250 gig
          Maxtor 200 gig
          ATI x800XT
          Windows XP (64-bit Edition)

Comment

My Win XP is not 64 bit and honestly I'm not sure if CPU is 64 bit. (See my sig for Computer specs). Based on what I listed can you tell if my CPU is a 64 bit CPU?

EDIT: Yes it is a 64 bit CPU just checked.

Are you sure my Windows XP will only support 3.1GB of RAM?

Comment

There will be absolutely NO advantage over 2gbs using 4gbs. BF2 barely EVER utilizers 2 at the moment (I don't even think it ever fills it).

Think about it... its like having a bucket of water thats half full, and then getting another one just so it can sit there with no purpose.

Originally posted by alextaylor29
              Are you sure my Windows XP will only support 3.1GB of RAM?
              Yes.

Comment

yo my clanmate airbourne run 4 gigs of ram. he is in the freaking game before my **** is done optimiziming lol. seriously he is the first person in the game every time wich really helps us as he is an amazing pilot and can get to the air vehicles first.i think he plays everythig on high or ultra high cant remember, but if you can afford get it,it wont hurt any.

Comment

4 gigs won't do anything. Next time you play BF2 for a while, leave the game and ctrl+alt+delete and click on the performance tab. Under commit charge at the bottom right, the peak # will tell you the most amount of ram your computer has used since it booted up.

Comment

OK good input everyone. Sounds like 2 Gig's is fine and thanks Buenamos for that performance tip I will try that.

Comment

Funny I'v never been beaten into game even with 1GB in the past. I'm running an FX55 @2.6GHz San Diego core with 2Gb's of OCZ RAM and 2x 6800 GT's. Yes if you run xp-64 you might see a performance increase but only on a venice and or san diego pc. The performance would indeed be loading times and responce times. FPS wouldn't increase unless you went from like 512MBs of RAM to 4GB's then you might notice a difference. Remember though Windows XP 64 is the only OS that can handle that much RAM and the Venice and San Diego is the only core that will run the memory at its rated speed.

Comment

2GB is enough for BF2 alone, even though it doesnt use all of it.

Although the more memory you have, the more things you can have open at the same time.

Comment

Gamewizard Processor Speed not just GH'z but just the FSB/HTT has alot to do with what you can run and you cannot run. Naturally a 2.6GHz FX55 Processor will run faster then a 1.8GHz 3000+ Venice core. Just depends RAM is more of how much you can do rather it runs the processes good or bad normally depends on the processor. For example you may start up Adobe photo shop and 3dsmax and run them both while they are both running they may appear sluggish.

Comment

The only time 4GB of ram is actually useful is if you are using 3d modeling programs and things to that effect, otherwise 2GB is more then enough.

Comment

at four gig of ram couldnt one run BF2 on a ramdrive this may hlp the performance i think just an idea

Comment

Working...
                              X