RAM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM question

At one point, I had 1.5 gb of ram, but at the time, I borrowed a low-lantacy stick from a friend of mine to see if BF2 really benefited from just 1.5 gb of ram. A week later I had to give it up, but BF2 ran fine. I then recently managed to get a new set of ram (OCZ ram, 2-3-3-6), but when I added the OCZ + a old stick of 512 that I thought was 2.5-3-3-7, my timings went to 3-3-3-8 =X

So..what is better? 1.0 gb of low latancy ram @ 2-3-3-6, or 1.5 gb of ram thats sitting @ 3-3-3-8? This is mainly for BF2 and WoW performance, but I know both games benefit from extra ram. But...I was told by a few good friends to stick with the low latancy. Days later, I like the stablity, but the random studdering is annoying XD;

Tough question really. I would imagine the difference in Latency timmings only amounts to no more than 1 FPS???? Whereas and extra 512MB will help loading times/switching to windows etc.

I would go for the extra RAM. Do some timedemo tests to test the FPS difference.

Comment

Is you Gfx card 128MB? If it is reducing texture and terrain quality to low will cure the stuttering. Medium need min of 256MB Vram to run stutter free.

Comment

I would say more ram is better. This game uses a lot of memory. There's of course certain performance gains when using high quality memory, but having 2 gigs of normal ram is better than having a computer with fast ram still running out of memory. Best thing of course is to get 2 gigs of HQ ram.

btw, you can try to overclock normal memory as well. Kingston, Corsair or any good brand can operate with faster timings easily.

Comment

3-3-3-8 Is not bad latency at all, I have 1 GB at that latency because I overclock my RAM. But I'm getting some more RAM soon, at least 512, but more likely 1 GB.

Comment

Working...
          X