X800 Pro
    1GB PC3200 Kingston RAM
    Averaging between 60 - 100 fps.

My old system was
    AthlonXP 2600+
    X800 Pro
    1GB PC3200 unbranded RAM
    Averaging between 25 - 40 fps.

So anyone with a similar spec to my 'old' system thinking of upgrading, I'm proof that it is worth it !

My gameplay just gone up another level

64x2>64>XP, too bad 64x2 is too expensive

Comment

How much is 64X2

Comment

It ain't worth getting the x2 right now because I heard peopel were having terrible performance while playing games.

Comment

what does x2 do anyways?????

Comment

Its a dual core processor. The 4200+ Athlon64x2 is around $555 on NewEgg.com

Comment

get another 512 stick and youll play on high.

Comment

I've been thinking of upgrading this old 32 Bit XP 3200+ to an Athlon 64, which would go along nicely with my 1.5GB of RAM and my 6800 GT OC, but once you introduce an PCI-E motherboard, you have to get a brand new video card, which shoots up the cost high as hell.

Comment

Interesting to know... I'm waiting delivery of a new mobo and Athlon 64 3200+ also... upgrading from a 2500+... hope the performance gain is as noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Flares
                    Interesting to know... I'm waiting delivery of a new mobo and Athlon 64 3200+ also... upgrading from a 2500+... hope the performance gain is as noticeable.

Yeah i went from a PIII 733 with no video card and 128mb of ddr 333
                    and im getting a 939 pin AMD 64 3500+ i hope I will see the difference.
                    And to say the least i went to pricewatch.com and got a video card with 512MB. Humm maby 85 to 140fps? o

Oh and 2gigs od ddr on the 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by Ownthink
                      I've been thinking of upgrading this old 32 Bit XP 3200+ to an Athlon 64, which would go along nicely with my 1.5GB of RAM and my 6800 GT OC, but once you introduce an PCI-E motherboard, you have to get a brand new video card, which shoots up the cost high as hell.
                      There no performance increase in going to 64bit, and 3200 is already pretty quick - I wouldn't bother, considering the extra cost involved.

Comment

so was it the upgraded processor or the new ram that made the biggest performance boost? (sorry, im not terribly familiar with amd's, i stick mostly to intels)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr-X
                          There no performance increase in going to 64bit, and 3200 is already pretty quick - I wouldn't bother, considering the extra cost involved.
                          Actually there is! There is no real benefit from the 64Bit side as all games are predominantly 32Bit as is Windows XP (Unless XP64). The Athlon 64 is miles faster for games than an equivalant Athlon XP, this is due to an integrated memory controller and a far more advanced core.

Totally different CPUs under the skin. Wish I had one.

Comment

I finished building my new PC last night... the upgrade from a XP 2500+ & KT7a mobo to A64 3200+ and MSI Neo2f mobo is astounding...! With the same graphics settings as before, went from between 25-70 fps to 70-100. Obviously turned the graphics settings up a little, just enough to keep it 50-100 fps.
                            Unfortunately can't use the 2x512mb ram sticks I had (mobo doesn't like 3 sticks or mixing single/double sided) so ordered another 1gb corsair stick the same as I've already got. Not the end of the world, just means I'll have to add the 2x512 in the spare downstairs PC I'm building to go with the.. 2500+, 256mb ram, 40gb hd, FX5700, 15" lcd monitor and wi-fi..

Comment

Originally posted by BF2_Joe
                              Yeah i went from a PIII 733 with no video card and 128mb of ddr 333
                              and im getting a 939 pin AMD 64 3500+ i hope I will see the difference.
                              And to say the least i went to pricewatch.com and got a video card with 512MB. Humm maby 85 to 140fps? o

Oh and 2gigs od ddr on the 14th.
                              The Venice Core 3500+2.2 actually OCs to 2.695 (2.7) which is better perfomance than the 3800

Good choice on the 939 in a year you can upgrade for buttons to a nice tried and tested dual core.

Comment

Working...
                              X