2nd number in drawfps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd number in drawfps

Ok, so you know about "renderer.drawfps 1" in the console to see what FPS you're getting. But there are two numbers. It seems pretty obvious that the 1st one is your 'current' frames-per-second (FPS). But what's the second?

Yes, I googled, even asked on IRC, everyone seems to think it's "average FPS", but it can't be. Why do I say this?

I have the first number pretty consistently at 80-90, and the 2nd consistently between 10 and 12. If the 2nd was an average, starting that low due to 0fps during game loading or something, it would STILL rise up towards 80-90 over the course of playing. It doesn't. It just fluctuates between 10 and 20 whilst my actual FPS never goes below 40 even at the busiest of times.

So, what is it? One guess is 'Server FPS', i.e. how many times per second the server is calculating the entire game state. It seems a reasonable figure for this as well.

I guess we'll never know for sure unless we get hold of a dev, remember to ask this one in the next dev chat .

-Ath, considering poking all the sites that erroneously say the 2nd number is the average.

possibly nothing at all just like the number 0 on the "Global unlocks" part of the server loading screen

if you notice servers with global unlocks may or may not have global unlocks on so the information there is prety much useles as is the 2nd fps number

but i think it might be somthing like how much it has changed(not entire fps) in the past what ever

Comment

i think its your ping but im not entirely certain

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Romano
        nah its not that my ping is always under 30fps on the servers i play and that second number is constantly 61

Comment

Think it is the average FPS

Comment

Glad this came up.

I was wondering the same thing. I read about it some where and I thought it was "average". But, as you stated there's no way it should flux between 12-20. When your getting 80's.

Originally posted by Vic Romano
            GJ! Trying to be helpful Vic. Good to see you have it in you.

Comment

Originally posted by livilaNic
              Glad this came up.

I was wondering the same thing. I read about it some where and I thought it was "average". But, as you stated there's no way it should flux between 12-20. When your getting 80's.

GJ! Trying to be helpful Vic. Good to see you have it in you.

Comment

Good ideas, but no, it can't be my ping, as I get 17ms minimum just across the DSL. Although I've seen Quake3 *under*state my ping before, but not this consistently. Also I really don't think it's "how much it changed recently", the figure is too constant for that.

I'm going with my "server FPS" theory for now, although I should check that with someone who's running a server with the status screen available where I understand it lists its FPS.

-Ath

Comment

2nd number is the delay between frames in miliseconds

Comment

Originally posted by Athan
                    I'm going with my "server FPS" theory for now, although I should check that with someone who's running a server with the status screen available where I understand it lists its FPS.

-Ath
                    that could be possible but then again if ya think about it, my 2nd number is always 61.somthin

so it cant be the servers fps. like i said its probably nothing, another thing that ea & dice forgot to fix before releasing

Comment

Wrong, its the number of miliseconds between frames. 1000 miliseconds per second so 16.7 on the second number = 60 FPS. Prove me wrong.

Comment

What about processor usage??? It was like that in JOTR.

Comment

Its delay between frames. End of discussion.

Comment

Pancakes is absolutely correct.

Comment

Its dropped frames. Although the video looks smooth to you, the video card will sometimes drop frames (if happened in BFV as well).

Comment

Working...
                              X