Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome shadowing!

I was playing a demo file with battlerecorder when I noticed this:

The shadows cast by the crane are being cast on the spinning blades of the chopper! I just thought it was a cool attention to detail.

Happy Gaming!

The shadows in general are awsome, but the shadow quality is horrible... :laugh:

Comment

Thats true, they are quite blocky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathazar
        Thats true, they are quite blocky.
        Like somebody make them from tetris

Comment

hahahaha

Comment

Reason their blocky is because the textures are rather small for everything. The bigger textures are for things like Helos or planes or cars so on so forth. On map terrain textures are rather small. Reason... I would get laggy if everything was high. Now could everything be made so it wasnt blocky like that.... YES! however it would either lag your game really bad. or just be so large no one would want to download that mod or update.

Comment

Originally posted by RDF_RiSbO
              Like somebody make them from tetris
              LMAO so true

Comment

Originally posted by TAW_DaSniper
                Reason their blocky is because the textures are rather small for everything. The bigger textures are for things like Helos or planes or cars so on so forth. On map terrain textures are rather small. Reason... I would get laggy if everything was high. Now could everything be made so it wasnt blocky like that.... YES! however it would either lag your game really bad. or just be so large no one would want to download that mod or update.
                I see, I noticed that the shadows are extra blocky on carriers.

Comment

Yeah I love the shadow effects on gulf of oman.

Comment

Gulf of Oman, imo, is the best map.

Comment

I hate having a shyte pc, shadows look like poo for me.

Comment

i dont think i even have shadows

Comment

Originally posted by TAW_DaSniper

having more detailed textures wouldnt cause network lag at all...it might slow your pc down.

The shadows are pixelated presumably because at some point they exist as a texture map. The pixelation is of the shadow maps is probably more to do with the shadow raytracing engine limitations rather than limitations of texture sizes (every pixel of the shadowmap requires at least one ray to be cast, maybe more). The shadow maps are probably black and white and probably dont take up that much ram anyway.

Increasing the resolution of the shadows wouldnt need bigger game files...just an increase in the precision of the raytracer. Idealy you'd want per-pixel shadows...but that'd kill anyones pc. Shadow maps can very realistic...when some figures out how to do a real-time gaussian blur on the shadow map...

Comment

Working...
                          X