Anyone have tips on playing commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have tips on playing commander

I just started playing commander today, and wanted to know if anyone who has expereince in it can give me some pointers. A guide would be great too... And one I was the commander when two medics on my side and a troop on the enemies side teamed up on me as I was giving orders. The enemy would kill me, the medics would revive me, and the enemy would kill me again. I finally bunnyhopped away and killed all three in my anger, allowing them to kick me. What should I do in that situation? I wish I had gotten their names.

Hell no I stay way far away from that apply button...

Comment

BEG teamates to make squads
      (you cannot command if no one is there to follow)
      do not fight yourself - stay back (hidden and lead)
      learn the maps- do not send squads on LONG trips

Comment

OK, thanks. I got some more questions. Are the only things that I can do is give orders via the right click menu, Scan, Artillery, UAV and Resupply. Or are there are things that I don't know about. What gives you command points? Just kills from artillery and resupplying people, or by giving commands and spotting enemy?

Comment

Originally posted by davespil
          OK, thanks. I got some more questions. Are the only things that I can do is give orders via the right click menu, Scan, Artillery, UAV and Resupply. Or are there are things that I don't know about. What gives you command points? Just kills from artillery and resupplying people, or by giving commands and spotting enemy?
          You don't get any points for arty kills, or giving commands. As said before, your commander score is your team's average + ur teamwork points + ur kills - ur tk points.

Comment

-As a commander you want to keep track of where your squads are attacking, or if your team doesn't have any squads watch general troop concentrations to see where most people are attacking. Keep this areas lit up with UAV support as much as possible. The time between a UAV expire and being available again is only a few seconds so there should be near constant coverage. I hate when you get a commander that just sits there not using that thing, it helps alot as a soldier.
            -The Scan button is fairly useless, it lights up all enemies on the map with a red dot. Right click near any dot and click spotted. That will show a flashing red icon that can be seen by anyone and you can watch that spotted enemies movements. It works for finding snipers or if you want to see where most enemies are, but the red dots go away pretty quickly.
            -Artillery is a double edged sword on FF servers. It takes 15 seconds from telling it to fire until the first shell hits, and often team mates ignore or don't see the red icon on their minimap. If enemies are launching attacks from a CP and no friendlies are around it can do serious damage. Can also be used to take out enemy aircraft, but with the 15 second delay the planes could easily have taken off by then.
            -Supply crates repair/supply/heal team mates. If your artillery gets taken out you can land a supply crate near it and it will repair it. They're easily destroyed and can be used by the enemy too so it's good to be careful with those. I usually use them to repair assets and deploy them when my team asks for them.
            -When squads request arty/supplies/UAV a yellow icon comes up on the commander screen, right click near it and click either Accept or Reject.
            -The key to being a good commander is to watch where your team wants to attack (it's pointless and counter-productive trying to force people to do what you want, or to join squads when they don't want to) and give them all the support assets you can. In most cases a squad leader will want to designate their own targets but if they ask for orders be sure to give them some.

Comment

Nice pointer, I lost two pairs of boots trying to run to so outlandish place. LOL

Comment

I was ooking around at see if there was any help for new commanders out there and i found this short but (i thought) good guide.

hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
                  BEG teamates to make squads
                  (you cannot command if no one is there to follow)
                  do not fight yourself - stay back (hidden and lead)
                  learn the maps- do not send squads on LONG trips

Yep everything he said was right on!!!

Comment

Don't give orders. Just be a UAV/Arty/Spot bot. People are smart enough to make the right choice if you give them the information. If they aren't, they won't follow your orders anyway.

Comment

Does anybody even dare to look up in the Tips and Tricks section nowadays?!

Comment

-Put UAVs in the middle of two spawns (hit around both flags if ya can) that way you dont waste it on just one flag.
                        -Never put art anywhere near any players, getting 10 points down for a tk is just not worth it.
                        -Supply drop repairs uav, satilite (used for scan), and art. So just drop a supply on them if ya need them repaired.
                        -Always give UAV to ATTACKING players not defending. Giving it to a defend squad is kinda useless (they should know where they are being attacked from).
                        - Always give the squad leaders what they ask for (just right click on the throbbing yellow dot and hit accept). Accept for art, that may lead into tks.
                        - I believe giving less commands to individual squads is more effect overall.
                        - Try to stay as active as possible, I just hate when i see a commander sitting around at the outpost. What a puss.
                        - If you do give out orders to squads make sure it is the most effect. Unlike what the other person said "dont tell them to go across the map" I DO suggest that you have them go to the spawn where the LEAST amount of enemies are. Otherwise you just feeding the defenders kills and no one wants a mutiny.
                        -Also i suggest giving the uav to the attacked flagg with the LEAST amount of soldiers. If you give it to the one with alot of soldiers it becomes kinda cleche and doesnt do them much good becusae they will prob own anyway. The flagg with 2 or 3 guys on it needs the UAV, for they arnt going to be able to take a couple hits and just bounce right back like a larger consintration could do.

Thats all, hope it helps. GGS and GL

Comment

Id also look at what bird said, seems as though he put some time in that thread.... NJ on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JarEme
                            Don't give orders. Just be a UAV/Arty/Spot bot. People are smart enough to make the right choice if you give them the information. If they aren't, they won't follow your orders anyway.
                            I have found that if you have 3 squads generally 2 of em will follow you general direction and 1 will ignore you. (this is infact very frustrating for the commander as they blow it for the rest of the team by not working with the other squads and refusing to see the bigger picture)

As a regular commander my pet hate is squads not watching the map and ignoring "Move Artillery!" warnings. Nothing worse than freindly fire when you warned them but the just walked right into it anyway.

Anyway Tips: (obviously some have been said already)

- Just be commander don't try and fight as well.
                            - Be an engineer and hide near your radar etc... then you can fix yourself if you need to. (try to keep supply drops for your frontline men)
                            - Gotta have squads, resign and pick up ya gun if they won't form at least two good squads.
                            - Scan, Scan, Scan - be sure you know what the other team is going for.
                            - Don't direct your men into heavily defended flags, come back to that one and direct them to seize the least defended positions.
                            - Keep the distance short if you are going to issue orders.
                            - If you want them to atteack a flag and as the crow flies it means going through enemy held areas, use MOVE to show them a path to scout around the enemy so they can get where you want them and still be alive.
                            - After each battle/capture get the supplies drop in fast for repairs.
                            - Use the arty as soon as it is ready, always use scan or uav to be sure you are not wasting it, watch the friendly fire.
                            - Use UAV as soon as it is ready, again use a scan to position it well and give your mean good situational awarenesss.
                            - You can also use UAV to show your team undefended flags, send a message like "Undefended flag check UAV position"

Hope that helps.

Comment

And if you need a place to hide, just take a heli get it in the air and then go into the passengers seat. The heli will just continue to rise until your only enemy is the path of a 747 cargo plane.

Comment

Working...
                              X