Question about in game names and buddylists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about in game names and buddylists

One of our admins banned a player in game because when he whispered to him his name came up different.

That player is now on the forum asking why he is banned. He says his buddylist name is one thing and his ingame name is different.

How does this work. never heard of it before.

Is he hacking or has he changed something and apart from being slightly non logical is legal or what?

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Catziggy
    One of our admins banned a player in game because when he whispered to him his name came up different.

That player is now on the forum asking why he is banned. He says his buddylist name is one thing and his ingame name is different.

How does this work. never heard of it before.

Is he hacking or has he changed something and apart from being slightly non logical is legal or what?

Any thoughts?
    Isn't that the well know name hack?
    However he does it, it conveniently prevents people from kickvoting him.
    You should ask him for his IP for "verification purposes" and then ban that too.

Comment

Sounds like he is taking you for a fool.

Keep him banned, name and shame him here (both aliases) and then circulate it to server owners

In my experience the name hack often goes hand in hand with another hack like aimbot, unlimited arty etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Myxx
        Sounds like he is taking you for a fool.

Keep him banned, name and shame him here (both aliases) and then circulate it to server owners

In my experience the name hack often goes hand in hand with another hack like aimbot, unlimited arty etc.
        Yeah. It's not like you can change your ingame name accidentially, and if you're a honest guy with good intentions, why would you wan't to change your name like that at all.

Comment

Interesting enough I can see that guy-with-movie-name exists as a BF soldier, while 3-initials does not.
          So if he was playing as 3-initials then it is a clear case, otherwise it is a bit odd.

But I would still apply occams razor and ban him unless he can provide proof of this bug. Otherwise everybody will use that story.

Comment

I agree. I checked his stats and his in game name plays often and has average stats although his medal percentage is quite high.

His three letter buddylist name has no stats.

Funny thing with the kick though. He couldnt be banned by his three lettered name that showed up but only his in game name. Thats usually the other way round isn't it.

Comment

I have a couple guys on my buddy list like this. I have asked them about it. If I am remembering correctly, they said it was because they were joining through Gamespy and the name in the buddy list shows up as their Gamespy name or something like that. This is not a name hack. They show up in game, on EA's stats, in 2142cc admin program, in the RCON player list and everything else as the name you see in the game. The only place it is different is on the buddy list, which really doesn't matter.

Comment

I am coming to the same conclusion. now. The punkbuster screenshots are clean and show in game name. HIs PID is the same on our server ban list as in his in game name player stats and the Gamespy answer sounds reasonable.

Punkbuster have yet to reply. I will see if anyone from there has a better answer otherwise it looks as though the ban will be lifted.

Comment

I think that is reasonable, maybe you could ask him not to use gamespy when playing on your servers?

Comment

Apparently he has never used it. He installed it along with the game like most people but has never used the gamespy network to join a game. Stranger and stranger

Opened tickets with punkbuster and EA now.

Some other player has replied to the punkbuster query (its forum controlled) with exactly the same issue for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Skates
                      I have a couple guys on my buddy list like this. I have asked them about it. If I am remembering correctly, they said it was because they were joining through Gamespy and the name in the buddy list shows up as their Gamespy name or something like that. This is not a name hack. They show up in game, on EA's stats, in 2142cc admin program, in the RCON player list and everything else as the name you see in the game. The only place it is different is on the buddy list, which really doesn't matter.
                      That is correct. I have a clan mate that comes up different as well.

He can be kick voted and banned from the server too, we played with that with him

Crunch
                      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Okay, I asked one of my clanmates who shows up like this on my buddy list but with a different name in the game. This is what he had to say:
                        When I installed the game, it asked if I wanted to install Gamespy so I could find friends and play with them online. I knew Dean had a buddy list in the game, so I thought I had to install Gamespy to get the buddylist. I hadn't really thought of soldier name yet, so I just went with a name I used alot in previous computer games. I had uninstalled GameSpy a while ago, and thought that my name was normal now, so... I really don't know what's up now, but I know it's not a hack. If there is a way to make my name my soldier name, can you let me know, cuz I have been telling everyone that it is my soldier name.
                        He never used Gamespy but it must have had something to do with installing it with the game. Even though he has uninstalled Gamespy, he still shows up with the one name on the buddy list and the other name in game, on stats, etc. I would unban the guy and not worry about it.

Comment

Its a bug that's EA's/Gamspy's fault to show their gamespy's username as their buddylist name and I've seen it occur when people installed Gamespy Comrad that it'd change their buddylist names to their gamespy name.

Comment

When you install gamespy comrade and add your game info and stuff, your buddy list name changes too, my ingame name is isaac3339 and when I installed Comrade when the game came out I registered as isaac331 and my name showed as isaac331 on the buddy list, but not in game.

Comment

isaac is right if this is the case you shouldnt ban him not his fault

Comment

Working...
                              X