My 2cents on playing with cheaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2cents on playing with cheaters

Long time reader first time poster. (or second cant really remember)

First, I love the Battlefield series of games! I think the balance of speed and tactics/team play are just right for my tastes. Games like, ET QW, too fast and games like, GRAW, a little too slow. BF2 was the first MMO game I ever played, so things like hacking and stat padding were new to me. Now that I have found out what all of this stuff is, I have formed an opinion of it all.

Being a soldier in the real, I think these types of shooter games improve tactical decision making. In the game, when you make a stupid decision you are instantly reminded that you are an idiot and would be turned into hamburger. IMO, these games can be used as a training tool, which brings me to my point. If the games is played strictly by everyone without cheaters, it becomes more like a training tool because the game will provide you with more feedback as to what really is happening. So if you maneuvered around the flank of pinned down enemies using cover, and begin an assault on their position you should be rewarded with a successful destruction of the enemies. BUT, if the other players are cheating then these types of situations cannot occur because the other team has a HUGE unfair advantage.

Here is the other side of my opinion! Are you ready for this crazy idea? If you look at the wars being fought today, you will see that one side I.E. THE USA has a decided advantage in equipment. So, in the realm of my thinking when you are playing against a cheater or Cheater's it becomes a fight of a better equipped soldier (the cheater) vs a shoddy terrorist (me). This makes me fight that much harder and think even more to accomplish my mission. This gives me a healthy understanding of how the terrorist must feel when they fight against such a superior force. Whew!!!!

Now lets look at this from one more angle. STATS!!!!! Yes they are a great part of this game series. I love em, and so do most others. It gives us goals to play for. I earned every darn point I have ever made in these games. My stats are not that bad or that great. I have a feeling that they would be much better representation of my game play skills if I had never played with a cheater. That kind of stinks cause I would love to know my true K/D ratio if there was never a single cheater in the game. Also, its almost impossible to get some of these awards in our regular public servers. Like the pistol 7 kills badge I need to get some other medal that will get me promoted that will get me that next unlock I want.:laugh: But I will continue to play it straight because when I finally do get the dang thing I will know I earned it. That gives me a sense of pride that cheaters will never have. Even if you are the most l33t with stats, if you got that way as a cheater you will never have that great feeling of pride and accomplishment that you get from earning them. It is a shame really that more people don't strive to be just a decent person. I know most people who cheat are probably younger kids that don't really give a crap, but even still having pride in yourself is a super personality trait to have and these types of games would be a good start especially in this day and age.

I am done spewing my insane ideas on you all. If you read my post thanks!!!:yay: Feel free to give me some feedback even if it is extremely harsh. I think I can handle it.:cry:

I'm glad someone can come in terms with the cheaters

Theres that one psrt of the post that i don't really agree with. Once again it's the part where you compare (well you don't really compare, but anyways) BF with real war.

I'm sure if someone made a game, or even a MOD, where a major part of playing with the terrorist faction against the US army would consist of sitting in a bunker fearing that the cheater/technologically superior enemy bombards the heck out of you without you being able to do anything, no one would play it

BF is about fun, war is about inevitability and cruelness, cheating is about ruining the fun of others and being a sad little phucker because you are a sore loser.

Like i said, good for you if you can handle cheaters without pulling out your hair. Luckily i haven't met one yet. I think i'd just curse them to **** and change server.

Comment

I haven't often encountrered someone who I suspected of cheating but sometimes something happens that just doesn't seem right.

Just had a game on CG. Enemy walker was on the tracks just outside of Toll Station shooting people up so I jumped in the turret just past harbour flag and took aim. This walker blasted me out of the turret with the chain guns before I could get a shot off. Strange I thought so I tried again and the same thing happened. Dead before the rorsch had charged and shot. Happened three times in all. Now I beleive it's quite hard to kill a soldier sat in the turret when they are facing you as the turrets are shielded on the front. I always throw a few rockets in to destroy the turret.

Opinions?

Comment

The old war analogy

War is hell, but this is a game which just happens to have war as a theme.
        You wouldn't see cheating in RISK or Stratego as "an additional challenge", would you?

Like in all games / sports cheaters ruin it for the honest players. Look how Tour De France has become a joke.

Or look at TrooperJac´s example. If we knew the game to be cheatfree, then he would just have thought "D*** he is good".
        But now he sits there with the nagging suspicion that the other guy was cheating. If he encounters that often enough, he will just stop playing the game.
        And as more and more leaves the game will die.

Cheating is one of the few places where a zero-tolerance policy is appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by unisol_us
          Here is the other side of my opinion! Are you ready for this crazy idea? If you look at the wars being fought today, you will see that one side I.E. THE USA has a decided advantage in equipment. So, in the realm of my thinking when you are playing against a cheater or Cheater's it becomes a fight of a better equipped soldier (the cheater) vs a shoddy terrorist (me). This makes me fight that much harder and think even more to accomplish my mission. This gives me a healthy understanding of how the terrorist must feel when they fight against such a superior force. Whew!!!!
          So USA are hacking cheaters?

Other than my ridiculously low sense of logic, I agreed on the most stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Paudman
            Look at it this way: the USA suported terrorism ie "cheating" around the world for years, Ulster being a prime example when they funded the IRA.
            All of a sudden, some terrorist kills a few Americans in a pair of skyscrapers, and it's not cool any more.
            Dude, uncalled for. Can we keep the American bashing out of these forums?

Comment

I don't agree with your USA vs. Terrorist part. US soldiers can't do this.

Comment

Well back on topic......

I agree with the OP for the most part. To me anyone that cheats has no skills and couldn't hold their own if it came down to it. I personally think cheaters just like to see their name on top or something not knowing they still suck at the game. One example is when I took my nephew to laster tag and these three guys were running around shooting and covering their senors. Yes they were the top scorers at the end (and they were proud of themselves). My nephew was still in the top 5 and I told him he came in second. I made sure that the three guys heard me and when they gave me a funny look I just said I don't compare our stats with cheaters. I think they got a little pissed by the comment but oh well. I do the same for stats in bf2142 although my stats arent nothing to right home about. But on the other hand I could care less about stats as long as I am having fun:yay:.

Comment

In the end Stats ruin the game really. I agree with the idea of badges and medals, but no the ranking system and the fact that people are constantly cheating and hacking and bunnyhopping and spamming.......<endliss list of noob tactics> .......in order to boost their kill/death stats or stuff like that.....and for what?? It ruins the game for other people who actually earn their points. As a vehicle hunting engineer, every point I get HAS to be earned and its dam difficult when the repair point system is completely broken and you have a mediocre machine gun and no extra points for killing vehicles. I expect 5 points minimum for having the guts to run up to a walker spawnraping people and shooting its crotch vent with a Pilum!

Comment

Tell me about it!! Killing vehicles is no easy task and yet we don't get any reward for it! Yet a medic can rack up TONNES of points by just res-spamming people or using the nooby AK rockets. Or Support can rack up loads of Titan Defence points simply by grenade spamming a corridor!

Comment

Originally posted by NoobHunter
                      Tell me about it!! Killing vehicles is no easy task and yet we don't get any reward for it! Yet a medic can rack up TONNES of points by just res-spamming people or using the nooby AK rockets. Or Support can rack up loads of Titan Defence points simply by grenade spamming a corridor!
                      Are you absolutely certain that Engineers have no way of pointfarming?
                      <cough>Titan Guns</cough>

Some bonus points for killing amour as infantry would be nice, but it is probaly too complicated for dice too fix without breaking other stuff.

If you want points as an engineer, you need to get a vehicle.

Comment

The Titan Guns farming method I thought was fixed so that you couldn't get much from it. Besides it also requires someone to do nothing but sit in the guns which aint going to happen unless clan members collaborate. Engineers have it the hardest by far!

Comment

Originally posted by farmergiles
                          The Titan Guns farming method I thought was fixed so that you couldn't get much from it. Besides it also requires someone to do nothing but sit in the guns which aint going to happen unless clan members collaborate.
                          I think the 2734 threads about Titan gun whores says otherwise; )
                          And as far as I know the only limit is on unmanned titan guns.

Engineers have it the hardest by far!
                          The SMG is one of the best CQB weapons, mines will often get you free kills, the SAAW can literally ground gunships, the Pilum can kill tanks in one shot, you can retreat and repair you own vehicles etc.

I agree that the Engineers are the hardest class to play, but it is not that bad

Comment

The Engineers machine gun requires a good element of skill to aim and kill well due to its pitiful damage and uselessness at long range. But I'm getting the hang of it now.

The pilum only kills a tank in the rear in one shot and thats assuming you can get round the back of the thing without either been killed by said vehicle or gunned down by one of his infantry buddies.

The motion mines also on occasion get you free teamkills which is annoying. Also the mines have proven unreliable at times.....a shuttle once landed on top of them and parked and yet the mines didnt detonate!

The anti-air gun is very unreliable at been able to track! The gunship can outrun the dam things! I prefer just to use the anti air turrets or better yet, hit them with my pilum! It gives me a great buzz taking out gunships with a well aimed railgun shot - its like something you wanna see in Matrix Slo Mo!

The repair gun is near pointless, a lot of vehicles don't survive long enough to repair them and unless you are collaborating with the titan guns, you won't even be able to farm them! Takes ages to get 1 repair point doing it legitamately!!

Most reliable "non weapon" the kit has really is the Sonar. I never leave home without it, provides a nice early warning that a tank or walker or shuttle is incoming and even shows which way its facing so I know where to sneak around it!

Don't get me wrong, yes I know the many weaknesses the kit has, but that extra challenge and usefulness in a team (how many other engineers do you see its always medics and support EVERYWHERE) makes it WELL fun to play!! Who cares about stats and endgame points in the end? Though saying that I do get a buzz from having a bronze/silver/gold star when playing the kit beating medics!!

Comment

I started my career as an Engineer, so I didn't really feel that the points were coming in slow since I had not experienced the other classes much.

The secret of being an Engineer is stealth.
                              You do not face-off against a tank, instead you use the sonar to sneak around him and back-pilum him.
                              Or lure him into mines if he is the persistent type.

Same goes for the smg, it should be used like the shotgun.
                              Avoid anything beyond CQB.
                              I will use the grenades or Pilum before I try long range plinking with the smg.

Motion mines can detonate if run over by friendlies (or at least used too), but they will only track enemies.
                              I have very few team kills with the mines, they are not intended to be used like the old land mines.
                              An incredible amount of people would drive straigth up to a silo, just to discover that an engineer-bird had been there and laid a few eggs.

The SAAW is temperamental, but it has the great advantage over the AA guns that they will rarely know where you are. And the ability to jump out of a vehicle and swat a gunship is great.

The repair gun is to be used to keep your tank alive.
                              A Tank is the ideal engineer vehicle because it has the range and speed that allows it to retreat to safety when damaged.
                              And you know how those other back-piluming bastards think, so you know to keep your back covered

Don't get me wrong, yes I know the many weaknesses the kit has, but that extra challenge and usefulness in a team (how many other engineers do you see its always medics and support EVERYWHERE) makes it WELL fun to play!! Who cares about stats and endgame points in the end? Though saying that I do get a buzz from having a bronze/silver/gold star when playing the kit beating medics!!
                              Exactly.
                              I eventually overdosed on Engineering, but it was great laying in ambush near a Silo, wasting guys who had travelled across the map in their vehicle.

I don't really see it as having weaknesses, only some limitations that you can work around.

Comment

Working...
                              X