EADM --> a donwgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EADM --> a donwgrade?

I really don't get EADM. Why did they "downgrade"?

I never really had any trouble with EA Link.

Now, here are some pronblems I have encountered...

Everytime I boot my computer up, when EADM loads during the startup, it NEVER connects. It has an error saying that there is no conncection and to check my Lan or whatever. I can tell that the reason it does this is because it is trying to load EADM and connect BEFORE my Windows has even connected to the intertnet. It is attempting to connect while while there is still an X on my connection icon in the bottom right task bar. Once the computer is finished "starting up" and the connection is all good, I have to close the error box and restart EADM and it works. It's like this program is starting up TOoooo quick- compared to EA Link did because I never had this problem before.

Now the other frustration... for some reason I was not able to start the game. (click on the shortcut and nothing happens) I know about the Sticky here for that and have been sucessfully fixing that when this happens, however it is now doing it when I boot up XP or Vista and the compatibility fix wouldn't work this tim. I tried everything and finally decided to reinstall the patch to see if that works. (Sometimes had sucess with reinstalling the patch in the past with other issues) But for some reason none of the downloads are in the cache file and All of my downloads had to be re-downloaded. I also went into the old folder (EA Link) but it has absolutely nothing in that folder.

Does it delete everything in that folder when it upgrades to EADM? That is where I expected to find my original download still in tact inside the cache folder.

So to make it even worse, the ONLY way I could re-download all of my patches and games was to Uninstall- because it gives no option to install or download, only PLAY. Even after I uninstalled, it still says PLAY. I had to click on that and then it finally said I could re-download.

anyway, enough of my rant. I used to be able to re-install any patches or whatever without uninstalling. Plus- I had to re-download everything, which is ridiculous that it couldn't keep the original download from the EA Link folder. Now I'm reading about the 6 month thing..... what gives EA? :shakehead:

This is EA we are talking about, shouldn't that explain it all :|:

Comment

It's hard to understand all the decisions that big companies make in order to... accomplish things... or whateveer it is they do, until you work in one. Sometimes it's difficult even after that.

Comment

Clicking on the small red x should get rid of the downloaded content, when you install EADM in a different location then the old EA Link it will attempt to remember the downloads you have from EA Link. Sometimes this works sometimes it does not.

It can be a bit confusing at times but I do enjoy the accellerated download rate. You can keep EADM from starting on setup under settings. Also to make sure your computer is connected to the internet on startup set a static ip address for your internet connection 192.168.x.x/10.x.x.x and that private ip should stay assigned to your PC on every reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecatter
          So to make it even worse, the ONLY way I could re-download all of my patches and games was to Uninstall- because it gives no option to install or download, only PLAY. Even after I uninstalled, it still says PLAY. I had to click on that and then it finally said I could re-download.
          For future reference, you won't need to uninstall to re-download if it gives the option to play. Just a little registry tweak and you can do it.

An Admin needs to sticky the link so others don't have to do needless work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. TheHeartSmasher
            Clicking on the small red x should get rid of the downloaded content, when you install EADM in a different location then the old EA Link it will attempt to remember the downloads you have from EA Link. Sometimes this works sometimes it does not.

It can be a bit confusing at times but I do enjoy the accellerated download rate. You can keep EADM from starting on setup under settings. Also to make sure your computer is connected to the internet on startup set a static ip address for your internet connection 192.168.x.x/10.x.x.x and that private ip should stay assigned to your PC on every reboot.
            Thanks for the help guys. I did have to download again because after I installed EADM the EA Link folder had nothing in it. It wasn't even a problem of it remembering where they were, it completely deleted everything in EA Link folder. Why I have no idea, but it is empty now.

Thanks also for the registry tweak. This just proves my point further how ridiculous this program is that we either

A. have to do a registry tweak, :shock:
            or
            B. have to uninstall the game :shakehead:

In order to re-download the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecatter
              I really don't get EADM. Why did they "downgrade"?

I never really had any trouble with EA Link.

Now, here are some pronblems I have encountered...

Everytime I boot my computer up, when EADM loads during the startup, it NEVER connects. It has an error saying that there is no conncection and to check my Lan or whatever. I can tell that the reason it does this is because it is trying to load EADM and connect BEFORE my Windows has even connected to the intertnet. It is attempting to connect while while there is still an X on my connection icon in the bottom right task bar. Once the computer is finished "starting up" and the connection is all good, I have to close the error box and restart EADM and it works. It's like this program is starting up TOoooo quick- compared to EA Link did because I never had this problem before.

Now the other frustration... for some reason I was not able to start the game. (click on the shortcut and nothing happens) I know about the Sticky here for that and have been sucessfully fixing that when this happens, however it is now doing it when I boot up XP or Vista and the compatibility fix wouldn't work this tim. I tried everything and finally decided to reinstall the patch to see if that works. (Sometimes had sucess with reinstalling the patch in the past with other issues) But for some reason none of the downloads are in the cache file and All of my downloads had to be re-downloaded. I also went into the old folder (EA Link) but it has absolutely nothing in that folder.

Does it delete everything in that folder when it upgrades to EADM? That is where I expected to find my original download still in tact inside the cache folder.

anyway, enough of my rant. I used to be able to re-install any patches or whatever without uninstalling. Plus- I had to re-download everything, which is ridiculous that it couldn't keep the original download from the EA Link folder. Now I'm reading about the 6 month thing..... what gives EA? :shakehead:
              So why dont you just go into your startup menu and disable it at boot, so it opens instead not at boot, but when you want to play 2142

Comment

Well, I guess I will. It's not really that big of an issue. See, I only boot into XP when I play this game since I had so many issues playing in Vista. Therefore, I always kept it to login when it boots by default because I always started the game right after booting up.

I never had a problem with this until the upgrade to EADM. This is one of the minor problems with the new EADM, but it is an issue that wasn't there before.

Hence- another piece of evidence that EADM is a downgrade.

Comment

Well...i dont like it either and i'll tell you why, because its stupid and when i had a problem with bf 2142 and had to reinstall, you know how its supposed to say that you downloaded a patch and all...........well i didn't and i had alot there and nothing ever shows up..even after reinstalling it

oh and i have vista.

Comment

Working...
                  X