8800 Ultra and widescreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800 Ultra and widescreen?

Ok, so I got an 8800 ultra. Major expense, but so far awesome card - runs at 1600x1200 and 8xAA 8xAF smooth as smooth can be.

I have a widescreen monitor on the way. 1920x1200. Yes, NOW I read about all the problems with BF2142 and WS.

Has anyone tried (and succeeded?) in using the scaling options (ie. turning it off) of the 8800 to show 1600x1200 with black bands either side? I've read that it doesn't work...

Thanks for any info.

I have read about the WS 'fixes' and they don't really sound very good... I'd rather stick with 1600x1200.

Quake Wars handles WS...

8800 Scaling Issues

There is a patch that I found on the NVIDIA site to solve this. The patch isn't perfect but it does usually allow scaling to work. It isn't in the drivers download section at the site, I'll look and see if I can still find the link. Without this patch 2142 with my 8800 GTX would always run scaled to monitor resolution even if you tried to change the setting in the nvidia control panel.

With XP see this:

With VISTA this is supposedly solved in the latest drivers.

I am using the XP fix I linked above. I do know that certain programs after they are run will render the fix inoperative and you have to reboot to make it "take" again. For the most part with the registry fix things work with black bars for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Elementalist
      I have read about the WS 'fixes' and they don't really sound very good... I'd rather stick with 1600x1200.
      The Widescreen Fixer solution seems to work outstandingly well so far for most folks. Sonic Pixel is the only one I know of so far that's had an issue with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erhardt
        The Widescreen Fixer solution seems to work outstandingly well so far for most folks. Sonic Pixel is the only one I know of so far that's had an issue with it.

http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/
        Does this one not have the panning fluctuations or zooming weirdness described elsewhere? Wandering crosshairs or warping soldiers?

Comment

http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/
          I'm sad :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Elementalist
            Does this one not have the panning fluctuations or zooming weirdness described elsewhere? Wandering crosshairs or warping soldiers?
            The worst thing I've seen using it so far is when I zoom back out to a normal view from the crosshairs is there is sometimes a 1/10th of a second moment "hiccup", and that doesn't even happen all the time. I'm running it on 4 different computers, 2 really high end, 2 more in the middle, performance-wise, all the same story. Looks and works great.

However, there ARE a few people I've noticed posting on the boards here who've mentioned the panning problem and some more troublesome zoom issues. I've been fortunate enough to not get hit by them, I guess. :hmm:

Comment

However, there ARE a few people I've noticed posting on the boards here who've mentioned the panning problem and some more troublesome zoom issues. I've been fortunate enough to not get hit by them, I guess. :hmm:
              Well, I tried it last night with my new Dell 2707 and I do get panning and zooming weirdness, enough to go back to 1600x1200.

Luckily the Dell is awesome and the 1:1 pixel mode means if I start the game on 1600x1200 it comes up with black bars either side and runs beautifully

Thanks Dell!

Didn't have to fiddle with NVidia's (apparently broken) scaling options on the 8800.

Comment

Working...
              X