Anyone have 5.1 surround? HELP ME PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have 5.1 surround? HELP ME PLEASE

I just got some logitech X-540s 5.1 speakers and can't get the surround sound to work. I'm using high sound setting, I have my sound driver's card set to 5.1. But it seems like bf2142 is only feeding me 2.1 sound, because when I turn on my speaker's matrix mode it spreads the sound out like I do when I listen to songs because they are 2.1 sound.

I tried hardware and software render setting in BF2142 but neither change anything. I loaded up crysis MP beta and the surround sound seemed to work fine because when I turned on matrix mode my back speakers turned off, so it didn't like me turning on matrix mode when I was already getting 5.1, the matrix mode is only for music and stuff thats in 2.1

You could try deleting your profile as that would reset your sound/video/controls to default. When you log into 2142 it will recreate a new folder, then set your ingame settings.

To delete the profiles folder go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Battlefield 2142\Profiles

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
      You could try deleting your profile as that would reset your sound/video/controls to default. When you log into 2142 it will recreate a new folder, then set your ingame settings.

To delete the profiles folder go to:
      C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Battlefield 2142\Profiles
      I checked my sound config file and theres no option like surround sound off or on, lol.

Comment

Delete it anyway it cant do any harm. Have you checked to see if 5.1 is selected in the windows sound opions?

Comment

yes it is. Which speakers do you have?

Comment

I dont use speakers, I have 5.1 headphones. The principal is the the same as all my settings are for 5.1 speakers.

Do you have the latest vista drivers for your soundcard?

Comment

I dont use speakers, I have 5.1 headphones. The principal is the the same as all my settings are for 5.1 speakers.

Do you have the latest vista drivers for your soundcard?
              yes.

Comment

Did you try deleting your profile? did it make any difference?

Comment

Did you try deleting your profile? did it make any difference?
                  I just reinstalled game, used a new profile with all default settings, still 2.1 sound. I edited the "AudioSettings.setProvider "hardware" with 1 infront of the line and set the file as read only so battlefield could not edit it and tried my game again and still no 5.1

I did some more research and think the problem has to do with the "BF2OpenAL.dll" file

I'm thinking I would need to get a x-fi or similar card to get 5.1 in a game thats not fully OpenAL in vista.

Comment

I had this problem for a long time before I realized my Fade knob was set all the way to the front channel.

I've also had my front/rear channels in the wrong jacks, since Creative sought fit to do away with those helpful color coded jacks in the X-FI.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm screwed unless I buy a X-Fi card, because those are the only cards that can run direct sound games in vista. However, newer games such as crysis and others are full OpenAL so oh well for battlefield.

Comment

oh you are running vista. That could be the problem. I'm not taking the plunge until at least SP1 comes out for it.

Comment

A service pack has nothing to do with it, XP supported both directsound and OpenAL, with vista they changed some things around, so directsound is no longer accelerated so you don't have more then 2.1 sound with games that use directsound while your in vista, a lot of new games such as crysis and even counterstrike source have full OpenAL support so they can run accelerated on vista. Thats why I have 5.1 sound in certain games.

Heres a link for more accurate info since I'm still figuring things out: http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

Comment

Check the manual/website to make sure 2142 supports 5.1 sound for your card/software. I have 5.1 speakers, but my (onboard) 5.1 is not supported.

Comment

Working...
                            X