X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics in PICs...a rant

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***
    :cussing:this is a rant :blabla:

I love how in the POTD, people always complain about the quality of the pic.
    Did you ever stop to realize not everyone has a 16Ghz Quad-Core-Duo processor? With a 8gb video card? Or 24gb of system RAM? And 4Tb of hard drive space?
    Some of us are running outdated (read....more than 2 years old) computers. Maybe these picture takers are sacrificing quality for performance. I know I would.
    PS...you realize with all your shadow "increasers" and shadow "detailers".......that if you just turn shadows off (which improves performance), all you suckers who try and hide in them appear, to us primitives, as clear as day?

End of rant.
    Maybe those are the setting that let them play with the best performace and least lag.
    The quality isn't important. It's the content of the PIC they're looking for.

Annoying to say the least(your post, not the people you described in your post).

My PC is 2 years old and I run everything on high at high resolutions. So whats your point?

Comment

Originally posted by nadicus
      Annoying to say the least(your post, not the people you described in your post).

My PC is 2 years old and I run everything on high at high resolutions. So whats your point?
      My point is.....
      They get comments like....
      "It would be better if you turned AA on" or
      "This wouldn't be a bad PIC if the graphics were set higher."

That's great that you can run everything on high on an old PC. Not everyone can. So some have to live with low resolutions. That in itself doesn't make the POTD crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by DesmondLocke View Post

Did you ever stop to realize not everyone has a 16Ghz Quad-Core-Duo processor? With a 8gb video card? Or 24gb of system RAM? And 4Tb of hard drive space?
        Some of us are running outdated (read....more than 2 years old) computers. Maybe these picture takers are sacrificing quality for performance. I know I would.
        PS...you realize with all your shadow "increasers" and shadow "detailers".......that if you just turn shadows off (which improves performance), all you suckers who try and hide in them appear, to us primitives, as clear as day?

End of rant.
        Maybe those are the setting that let them play with the best performace and least lag.
        I'm guessing you submitted a PotD and a lot of people said it sucked? Well, if there isn't anything to draw someones attention away from sub par graphics within the pic, i.e. something really interesting or funny, then they'll pick on the graphics.

Anyway, in some PotD's graphics matter a lot, especially in games like Oblivion where you can get extremely beautiful or scenic pictures.

edit: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked:

Comment

My point is.....

That's great that you can run everything on high on an old PC. Not everyone can. So some have to live with low resolutions. That in itself doesn't make the POTD crappy.
          I do agree, not everyone can run with every option on. Some people just have to be rude. I am able to run with everything on now. But thats doesn't bother me cause i couldn't with bf2. I wanted performance with it cause of my crap gfx card. Doesn't bother me to see pics at low detail, even for POTD. People just have to ***** to fell better about themselves i guess.
          At least you submitted something, people can't take in well that was a cool picture, or a action shot,etc. Not everyone can have a up to par system, or have mommy and daddy buy them the stuff.

Jake, you can also take those :locked: and shove them where the sun don't shine.:shakehead:

Comment

i can run everything on high and i get decent not great FPS rates so i have most of my settings at medium so that i get better gameplay anyway who cares about the gfx ure stats dont say what comp u have and its stats it tells u the stats of how u play so there =P
            plus i go sniper most of the time now so when i aim for the head i dont wnt the frames to drop and i miss the shot so there is no point comprimising what i see compared to the amount i can kill =D

i play bf2 and high settings tho since i prefer the look of bf2 in high quality but 2142 in high settings to me dont look that good tbh there isnt alota detail in the buildings that i like looking at (main reason i get killed lol)

Comment

Another thing to consider is that if the POTD came from a Battle Recorder file, the person submitting it doesn't have control over the graphics, that is controlled by the server settings and what quality the BR file is.

Comment

"funny" potd's graphics don't matter. If you want one that's wallpaper quality or scenic, like this: http://bf2.totalgamingnetwork.com/fo...d.php?t=122844 it should be high graphics.

Comment

My point is.....

calm down man, the people that make those kind of comments are kids. kids who have never had to play superman on Atari. yeah, that was fun. graphics? if it weren't for your imagination you'd just sit there pissed that you spent your saved lunch money on something so craptastic.

Comment

End of rant.
                    Thank you. I see all these people say that and it's really annoying. I just ignore it but cheers for bringing it to our attention. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Skates
                      Another thing to consider is that if the POTD came from a Battle Recorder file, the person submitting it doesn't have control over the graphics, that is controlled by the server settings and what quality the BR file is.
                      BR quality settings dictate the quality of the animation and how well interpolated the events are. They have no effect on resolution or image quality. This is all determined by the client.

Comment

End of rant.

I agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                          BR quality settings dictate the quality of the animation and how well interpolated the events are. They have no effect on resolution or image quality. This is all determined by the client.
                          Didn't know that, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                            Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking, "huh, wtf why would the effects and textures be dependant on the BR file when you already have it on your own hard drive?" And what quality is enough to stop the "snapping" of aircraft, cause every time I watch a BR file the gunship doesn't turn smoothly, it "snaps".

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                              Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking, "huh, wtf why would the effects and textures be dependant on the BR file when you already have it on your own hard drive?" And what quality is enough to stop the "snapping" of aircraft, cause every time I watch a BR file the gunship doesn't turn smoothly, it "snaps".
                              Quality setting 3 is usually the most reasonable compromise between server performance and BR quality. Anything higher than 3 on a large server will usually cause noticeable lag. Anything lower and you start losing the smoothness of the recording, especially for fast-moving objects.

Comment

Working...
                              X