why do people rent out servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people rent out servers

i was just wondering what advantage you get out of renting a server, as it costs a fair amount i think, so why would someone do it

thanks for any comments

our server
    our rules
    i had a server together with a friend in bf2
    thats the reason why we had our own server

Comment

Originally posted by stockypotty2
      i was just wondering what advantage you get out of renting a server, as it costs a fair amount i think, so why would someone do it

thanks for any comments
      The cost doesn't seem that bad, I think? My Internet Services (The folks who sponsor this site) will rent you a 32 person ranked server for something like $80 dollars a month.

That's not too bad IMO. I'd probably rent a server if there was a reliable operator in Australia...

A big part of the draw for me would be to run the map rotations that I'd like, instead of what is available on the public servers. I really prefer conquest maps over Titan, so I'd love to have a server that did a rotation of *all* of the Conquest maps (not just Gibraltar - Cerbere - Tunis that you see on a lot of servers) with maybe a day or two a week of NS maps thrown in.

One downside of having your own server would be admin'ing it though, I think. Without good admins a server can become total chaos...

Comment

ummm the advantage to renting a server is because those your renting from have better server machines, better internet connections, etc.

to run something out of your own house or whatever. you would need a probably 10k dollar machine, a very high end internet connection [ a business line from you local provider]. and then to top it off. if you can get a ranked license from ea [ which is monthly fee as well] to keep it ranked. obviously the costs to do this on your own would be alot more then just forking over 80 - 200 dollars a month.

obviously you can see why people rent servers then buy their own.

also even if you rent a server from someone. you can set your own map rotation. you dont need to have your own to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattsville
          The cost doesn't seem that bad, I think? My Internet Services (The folks who sponsor this site) will rent you a 32 person ranked server for something like $80 dollars a month.

That's not too bad IMO. I'd probably rent a server if there was a reliable operator in Australia...

A big part of the draw for me would be to run the map rotations that I'd like, instead of what is available on the public servers. I really prefer conquest maps over Titan, so I'd love to have a server that did a rotation of *all* of the Conquest maps (not just Gibraltar - Cerbere - Tunis that you see on a lot of servers) with maybe a day or two a week of NS maps thrown in.

One downside of having your own server would be admin'ing it though, I think. Without good admins a server can become total chaos...
          gamers.co.nz is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Most Aussie clans are using them. They are NZ but you still get a low ping. If you do get a server can I be admin?

Comment

People like to feel important.

Comment

^ you always get one

Comment

Originally posted by Oz_Ryder
                http://www.gamers.co.nz/gaming/index.html
                Most Aussie clans are using them. They are NZ but you still get a low ping. If you do get a server can I be admin?
                Coolness thanks for that!

How is the ping for you from Queensland out of curiousity?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattsville
                  Coolness thanks for that!

How is the ping for you from Queensland out of curiousity?
                  Those servers are horrible to play on,VERY bad rego. Using walkers on it isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmmmmy View Post
                    Those servers are horrible to play on,VERY bad rego. Using walkers on it isn't too bad.
                    That's the reason I ask, actually. I've played on some NZ EA servers and the ping isn't too bad, somewhere around 70-90 ms which is playable. But I prefer 50ms or less personally.

Since I am playing out of Sydney which is probably the closest geographically, I gotta imagine that the further you get out of Sydney, the worse the lag would be?

Comment

People rent servers mostly in a clan environment. Unless you come up with a unique idea for a clan/community (highly unlikely) or have a group of the best players in 2142 that decide to form a clan (even more unlikely), the only thing that really separates one clan from another is what servers they have and how popular they are with the public.

Bottom line, it's a way to avoid unpleasantness with the occasional bad admin and a great way to recruit new players into your clan.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd View Post
                        Bottom line, it's a way to avoid unpleasantness with the occasional bad admin and a great way to recruit new players into your clan.
                        Exactly. Also, may I add, it is a way to make sure you don't have to deal with the occasional smacktard that comes along. How many times have you been on a server and just wished an admin would get rid of the teamkiller, spawn camper, guy glitching in the titan etc... Of course you could always leave and find another server, but if you have a good squad that you've been working with for a couple of rounds, why should you have to give that up?

Comment

Working...
                        X