Fighting Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Commanders

Saw this in another thread, didn't want it to stray off topic so I'm asking for inputs from others. A few servers will not allow Commanders to fight.

I personnally don't see a problem with it, to an extent. I have helped my team on numerous occasions fighting as a commander, especially defending the titan. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

Agreed, but only if the commander can multi-task as you said. A ****ty shooter and a ****ty commander are nothing but a detriment to the team.

Comment

No, infact on our server (tacticalgamer.com) we don't allow it. It wouldn't occur in a real life, thats for sure. You don't see general betrayus fighting, now do you? But in this context, a commander needs to have his eyes glued to the command screen, constantly sat tracking and keeping the squads up to date on where everything is. If a commander is just out fighting, he simply cannot perform his job. So, I don't see why it would be tolerated on any server. If someone is commanding and fighting, they're probably not commanding. They're probably just using the tools to boost their own gameplay.

Comment

Only if
        a) The server is nearly empty and one man would make a difference
        b) He's defending the titan with either guns or APMs, so he doesn't have to do much actaul fighting

Comment

Well, I'd vote for a "very limited fighting" option. I agree with BBJ to a point, but I find that you can help the team a lot even while commanding effectively by being very narrowly focused in any fighting you do. I may take a minute while assets are recharging to hunt down a lone spec-op or sniper type, or cap a back flag that is empty. I will often command from an armored vehicle at a back flag, and have often been well-positioned to waste a squad trying to be clever. The other option is to watch helplessly as the raiders steal a tank and trash my base- that would hurt the team more than my spending 30 seconds killing a few guys. Of course, titan defense support is easy while commanding- the sentry gun lets you know it's time to look around and see who is coming to dinner, or you can place APM's and listen to the titan's intruder warnings.

(Note that I also hop out of any vehicle I might be in and hand it over if a team-mate wants to take it into battle.) I've even, on occasion, brought an armored vehicle up to a squad in need, handed it over, and gone to ground again.

Would I get kicked from TG for bringing a tank up to the front? Or killiing a spec ops on my base? If so, I'd say you're being a little too strict about it. It's not about helping my stats (which would be futile, since I'm not an exceptional player, and never will be.) It's about the stat which is, IMO, most important- the team's win.

Comment

Only if he really needs to defend his position, or the server has 16 players or less, and requires every fighting ability possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
              Only if
              a) The server is nearly empty and one man would make a difference
              b) He's defending the titan with either guns or APMs, so he doesn't have to do much actaul fighting
              yes yes yes i agree.

Comment

Only if he needs to defend his position.

Comment

Generally the commander isn't helping your team at all when fighting, since he can't command if he dies. Small servers are ok though.

Also I think it's OK that the commander uses the titan guns to a certain extent when their team has the situation under control.

Comment

Don't care TBH :|:

Comment

Originally posted by RottnJP
                      Well, I'd vote for a "very limited fighting" option.
                      Im for that, I have two examples:

1. Commander that is defending the titan.

2. Commander defending closest flag to main base like on Tunis Harbour.

Defending a point doesnt distract too much from helping your team.

Comment

There are very few people who can do both, effective commanding and fighting at the same time. So, generally, I'm against fighting commanders, except to defend their commander assets, to defend the non-capturable home bases, or to defend their titan using the titan guns.

I wish Dice had designed the game such that commanders are automatically placed in a "command tower", without any guns. In turn, Dice should have given them a few more tools and tactical weapons for commanding.

Comment

Originally posted by wastedandwounded
                          yes yes yes i agree.
                          Definately the only time he should be fighting

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadjesus View Post
                            No, infact on our server (tacticalgamer.com) we don't allow it. It wouldn't occur in a real life, thats for sure. You don't see general betrayus fighting, now do you? But in this context, a commander needs to have his eyes glued to the command screen, constantly sat tracking and keeping the squads up to date on where everything is. If a commander is just out fighting, he simply cannot perform his job. So, I don't see why it would be tolerated on any server. If someone is commanding and fighting, they're probably not commanding. They're probably just using the tools to boost their own gameplay.
                            Good points, but remember, BF2142 is not real life. I am very well versed in real military life being in the USAF myself.

I never realized how many people were against fighting commanders. I consider myself a good one. I will usually stay back on the titan as an engi and keep the titan guns manned, occasionally podding down to fix assets as they get damaged. Once the enemy infiltrates our titan, I go on a defensive in the hallways but still manage to provide support (uav,supplies, spotting) to any request and monitor the sat track. Never had any complaints yet.

btw, The real Commanders I have had in the real military have always wanted to fight, and most do. THEY ARE PILOTS!!! LOL!!!:laugh:

Comment

If I'm commander -

Conquest mode - I go recon, chuck a couple of APMs down and sit tight at main spawn/uncap

Titan mode - Stay in the Titan. If our reactor room gets breached I will go in and prone so I can chuck down first aid kits whilst still commanding.

IMO since BF2 the commander role should have been made so that you can't fight, and a re permanently stuck on the commander screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X