Guidelines for Server Admins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidelines for Server Admins

Since this a hot topic as of late, I figured a thread about the guidelines all server owners should follow was desperatley needed. I am placing this in the public forums rather than the Server Owners forum because i feel this information is important for all to see. You never know who might decide to undertake hosting a public server.

First off anyone can be an admin, but not everyone is capable of undertaking the resposibility an admin actually has. The problem is that most people think that being an admin is purely for kicking and banning people. Some more the latter than others. An admin is more of a referee in a sports game. You are there to enforce the rules, but not interfere with gameplay. Too many admins use their personal agenda to influence gameplay on their servers. This is the root cause of most of the complaints in this forum. With that being said lets get to the guidlines:

1. Most important!!! Be fair. Hold your clanmates and yourself to the same standards as you would the people who play on your server.

2. Be very selective on who is an admin for your server. Does the person rage quit often or destroy PC equipment while gaming? Probably not gonna make a good admin. Interviewing and playing with prospective admins is a good idea. Admins should be level headed and not easily proned into verbal arguments.

3. Keep the rules to a minimum. By this i mean your clan/personal rules. Always uphold EA TOS and ROE, but try to limit the add on rules. The more rules you have means the more work your admins have to do. Not only do more rules interrupt the flow of the game it also makes an admin's job unbearable. They spend must of the time enforcing the rules and little time getting to play. Designate some core rules and stick to them.

4. Be the bigger man. If players on your server see that you follow your own rules, they will respect you and be less likely to break the rules. When a need for administration arises ALWAYS use your admin tools. I can't stress this enough to people. When you warn via 2142 cc or in game admin people know you mean business. Never argue with players via ingame chat. This leads nowhere and might cause some embarrissing chat logs to reappear at a later date. Keep it simple. Be proffesional about it.

5. Enforcing the rules. These is a problem area for admins. People get that itchy ban finger and use it way to much. Always warn players first. Using the in game scrolling text as a warning does not count! We all know that if you not looking at the chat at that instant you are not gonna see it. Sometimes people don't know they are breaking the rules. Most will stop and continue playing. Use you admin tools to properly warn people. This also lets others on the server know that you enforce your rules and have the power to do it. My rule is warn twice then kick. If they return for more then a temp ban is well warranted. Another good idea is to limit who has the ability to ban and only make it availble to those who can use it wisely.

Speaking of bans, it is absurd the amount of people that get banned from servers in the BF series. I am not talking about cheaters, glitchers or stat padders. IMO those are really the only people that deserve a permanent ban. I am talking about all the lame, stupid, idiot, and childish bans that people come to this forum and complain about. People say that this community is dying. Well we are doing it to ourselves. Every person that gets needlessly banned is one less that can't play on your server. Thats one more person who gets a negative attitude towards clans and the game in general and walks away. Kind of like shooting off your own foot and then complaining that you can't put your shoes on.

I myself am an admin, i take a different stance on some subjects but the basics are still the same, good guidelines anyway

Comment

Good guidelines, but the people here with servers already know and the people acting like fools on other servers will never see it lol.

With that said, there is some behavior that requires immediate banning w/ no warning whatsoever. These are the people who TK b/c they didn't get the gunship or because someone didn't realize they needed meds. Stat padders also fall into this category as do people who feel the need to use racial slurs in the in-game chat. I'm sure there are more people who deserve to have nowhere to play, but these are the main groups that will get the ban stick on my servers.

It's not as much of a problem in 2142, but in BF2 there is ramptant force TK'ing, TK for vehicles and other intentional TK's. All these people should know better than to behave like that and if I could ban them from all game servers I would.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd
        Good guidelines, but the people here with servers already know and the people acting like fools on other servers will never see it lol.

With that said, there is some behavior that requires immediate banning w/ no warning whatsoever. These are the people who TK b/c they didn't get the gunship or because someone didn't realize they needed meds. Stat padders also fall into this category as do people who feel the need to use racial slurs in the in-game chat. I'm sure there are more people who deserve to have nowhere to play, but these are the main groups that will get the ban stick on my servers.

It's not as much of a problem in 2142, but in BF2 there is ramptant force TK'ing, TK for vehicles and other intentional TK's. All these people should know better than to behave like that and if I could ban them from all game servers I would.
        Agreed, good posts here.

2142 is such easier to admin, you actually get some game play in. But BF2, geeez forget it if it had jets in it. You had to babysit more than play.:wall:

Comment

I ban often.

Our server rules are pretty simple: No Teamkilling, No Stat Padding, No Filthy language, No Aircraft Ramming, No stealing vehicles and most of all DO NOT DISRESPECT MEMBERS. That seems to be the biggest problem. Seriously, why do people start kick votes vs the home clan? Thats pretty much SUICIDE. If one person does it, I will kick him. If he comes back and does it again, BAN. Even worse is disrespecting admins. If I warn you (!w randomnoob NO RAMMING!) and you make a snotty remark (I'll ram you all I want noob!!!111) then its the ban hammer for you. Its simply absurd the amount of admin abuse and kick votes vs members I get.

I don't regret any of the bans I have made. You might say "But thats one less person who will play on your server!" I say "Thats one less NOOB to RUIN my server!". If they get disheartened and quit playing 2142, thats their problem, not mine.

Comment

I agree with your post but differ on the ban issue. We have rules clearly displayed on the loader screen, in game and on the forum so there is the highest probability that if someone disregards say the "no base rape rule" they either do not understand english or just don't care.

On the gibralter server especially one run of baseraping can unbalance the whole game and we might get people bailing and not returning if they keep getting repeated spawn deaths.

This is about the only occcasion where we don't warn and just ban. Taking the effort to warn someone a couple of times would probably result in several more needless deaths.

As stated on our web site several times. Don't let the other 32 players (the other side of course) suffer cause of one non english speaker/or idiot wanting to get cheap kills and disrupt the game.

Otherwise thats a great post.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin View Post
              I DO NOT DISRESPECT MEMBERS. .

QFT. People are so damn rude to admins. Suprisingly so, sometimes for no good reason. Apparently they dont like being warned/kicked for breaking the rules. Often you'll find if you have to kick one clan member for breaking rules, the rest of them will start with the insults. Not all clans admittedly, but that's my experience. Still, there are some nice people out there, somewhere?!:shock:

Comment

Oh yea, theres tons of nice people out there.

It is a fine line to admin and keep the server going. We implemented the "No Uncap attack" rule because too many new people would never come back to our server from the constant raping. We would get complaints all the time via E mail about how they like the clan, but there was no way to play because of the rape. Now we get complaints that if your not good enough to fight out of a rape, thats your problem

I think the important thing is to be fair and understanding and follow your own rules. Ive kicked some of my own clan a few times and I am harder on them than the non clan because THEY KNOW THE RULES! No one loses sleep and everyone gets along and I usually dont have to worry about it again.

I find that a warn - kick - ban works well. Sometimes if it is out of control, I will use the !say command and say that the warns are through and kicking for the offense will now start. Once two people are kicked, it usually settles down and even the kicked come back and have fun.

Now as far as the community dying because of server admins, I can see some instances, but I disagree with that because I pub and see all the non-admins being smacktards and its just not fun. I have found I have had more trouble with non-admined servers than vice versa. If someone pays for this game and there are over 1,000 servers to choose from and they keep getting kicked/banned from them; I would start to think that maybe it is me and not the servers.

Good post. I liked it. Some good points brought up too.

Crunch
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin View Post
                  I ban often.

Seriously, why do people start kick votes vs the home clan? Thats pretty much SUICIDE. If one person does it, I will kick him. If he comes back and does it again, BAN.
                  this is also what give us clan admins a bad name.. if you have the kick vote enabled then you are denying all non clan players the right to use the games funtions.. if anyone want to kick vote against any member of our clan they are free to do so without any petty mindedness "WE ARE GOING TO KICK YOU COZ YOU KICK VOTED AGAINST MY BUDDY" is in my view a form of admin abuse. To run a fair server you have to treat everyone equally and if one of your clan memebsr are doing something wrong then he should be able to recive the same treament as everyone on the server. I have kicked CsA clan members from our server before for continully breaking server rules. You cant have one rule for visitors and another rule for your clan members.. that is where it goes wrong.

Comment

I think the thing is that *most* clans don't break their own rules. In my experience our members are quite good at reminding other members and guests that they are getting too far into the uncap or doing something that is not allowed. This happens seamlessly on TeamSpeak and players in the server wouldn't have the slightest clue that it was happening.

The kick votes usually come about not because of clans breaking their own rules, but because someone is a poor sport and doesn't want the person being voted on to be able to kill them anymore. Usually the people who get voted against are skilled and have high scores and often get accused of hacking by the people starting the vote. I see what you're saying, but I tend to be on the other side of the argument. Now we don't kick people for kick votes simply because the kick votes never work, but I have to agree with servers that do kick for that.

Comment

When a kick vote is started, if it is someone on my team that started it I will try to jump in their squad and talk to them in VOIP to find out why they started the vote. If they are on the other side I'll ask them through a whisper in chat. Kick votes can be annoying and yet can also sometimes help you know to keep an eye on someone.

However, if we have one player constantly starting kick votes, I'll warn him to knock it off and just play the game. If he continues I'll kick him as it is annoying to see a kick-vote constantly popping up.

Comment

Originally posted by Catziggy View Post
                        I agree with your post but differ on the ban issue. We have rules clearly displayed on the loader screen, in game and on the forum so there is the highest probability that if someone disregards say the "no base rape rule" they either do not understand english or just don't care.
                        This right here is one thing that really bothers me and its that for some reason a lot of admins just think because the rules are "clearly" displayed they think people are going to read them. The loading screen is probably the best bet, but if your like me I am usually up and getting something to drink and I hardly bother reading anything on the loading screen.

The in game text is useless. No one is going to sit there and read all the rules people post simply because they are playing the game, also saying the rules are in the forums are also completly useless because 98% of the players will never even see the clans website let alone the forums.

I'm not saying you Catziggy are the problem as I don't even know the server you run, i'm just saying as a general rule a lot of server admins think when people are breaking the rules on their server the first thing they think is "oh that guy must be stupid, he can't read" blah blah blah.

I also find warnings and admin console chat useless. All to often players miss these while playing, because they simply arn't looking at that part of the screen. I know I am focusing on the game at hand and rarely even notice the chat. Its one part I wish would of been implemented better. Maybe something a little more noticable somewhere else instead of just in with the rest of the clutter.

When I had a server going *back in the day* I really kept the rules on the low. I found a lot of people found our server to be a good time as most were tired of being kicked and banned for just dumb reasons.

I'd also like to agree with PSI. Good god BF2 is just terrible these days on the admin side.

Comment

Originally posted by leaffan29
                          This right here is one thing that really bothers me and its that for some reason a lot of admins just think because the rules are "clearly" displayed they think people are going to read them. The loading screen is probably the best bet, but if your like me I am usually up and getting something to drink and I hardly bother reading anything on the loading screen.

The in game text is useless. No one is going to sit there and read all the rules people post simply because they are playing the game, also saying the rules are in the forums are also completly useless because 98% of the players will never even see the clans website let alone the forums.

I'm not saying you Catziggy are the problem as I don't even know the server you run, i'm just saying as a general rule a lot of server admins think when people are breaking the rules on their server the first thing they think is "oh that guy must be stupid, he can't read" blah blah blah.

I also find warnings and admin console chat useless. All to often players miss these while playing, because they simply arn't looking at that part of the screen. I know I am focusing on the game at hand and rarely even notice the chat. Its one part I wish would of been implemented better. Maybe something a little more noticable somewhere else instead of just in with the rest of the clutter.

I'd also like to agree with PSI. Good god BF2 is just terrible these days on the admin side.
                          Yeah we found it easier to warn, then kick, then time ban. Perm ban for purposely TKing.

The thing with BF2 it was easier to warn cause it lasted longer in game and a person would see it. 2142 forget it, not going to happen.
                          I know per the old BFROE warning,kick, then time ban was the correct method that most used. But 2142, its kind of hard since it really doesn't have a ROE/ROC.

I know what i liked, before it was patched, game admins could enlarge the text in the msg sent to players, such as warnings with BF2cc. That was great, but players that wanted attention messed that up of course.

I am also like you leaffan29, i am either getting a drink,or some gum while its loading. I am sure alot of people ar like that also.

Comment

Pause works well if people aren't paying attention. Then their eyes are locked as they wonder what the hells happening. Nothing better than unpausing and seeing all the base rapers run for their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd View Post
                              I think the thing is that *most* clans don't break their own rules. In my experience our members are quite good at reminding other members and guests that they are getting too far into the uncap or doing something that is not allowed. This happens seamlessly on TeamSpeak and players in the server wouldn't have the slightest clue that it was happening.

The kick votes usually come about not because of clans breaking their own rules, but because someone is a poor sport and doesn't want the person being voted on to be able to kill them anymore. Usually the people who get voted against are skilled and have high scores and often get accused of hacking by the people starting the vote. I see what you're saying, but I tend to be on the other side of the argument. Now we don't kick people for kick votes simply because the kick votes never work, but I have to agree with servers that do kick for that.
                              yea most clan dont break their own rules, I kicked a clan member who thought he wasnt in the uncapp and argued the toss.. when non clan members see clan member in the uncapp they think its ok for them to do it... 9 time out of ten you just tell them on ts etc..

as for the kick votes.. i do agree that its over used to elivate someones frustration at being owned but if a clan memeber is allowed to kick vote against non clan members then why shouldnt it be the same the other way round... Kick votes hardly ever work and if a person continually kick votes a clan memeber and the server is full, that person will be the first one to make way when a clan memeber wants to join. but to kick them just because they kick voted against you or your clan member is childish.

Comment

Working...
                              X