Wireless and BF2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless and BF2142

I've been running wireless a while and quite frankly, I've had enough. I lag up not often, but enough to make a gamer go crazy. I sit on around 60-70% wireless.

I'm thinking of switching to wired, just for a more steady and reliable connection.

Is it worth going wired? or should I just stick with wireless?

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

On one hand, I too believe in the "wired is better" myth, so I have my gaming PC connected by wires.
    On the other hand, when I compare pingtimes from my wired PC with those from my wireless laptop, I get less than 5 ms difference.
    Both are connected to the same wireless router.

Cant you just connect a cable directly to the router, and test for yourself?

Comment

The Router is in another room to my computer I use.

Comment

Originally posted by AndySnipe
        The Router is in another room to my computer I use.
        Well obviously it would not be a permanent solution, but I have often had a cable running through the living room when I needed to get my XBOX online.

You can get ethernet cables in lengths of 20+ meters.

Comment

I could put it through a wall :/

Comment

I game wireless almost regular.

Works fine for me. Even when connecting to a us server ( Europe player )

I get a disconnect now and than.

Comment

I could put it through a wall :/
              Yes, but before you pull out the sledge hammer, you might want to test if there is any improvement to be had.

Personally I ended up buying this, I am sure there must be something like it available in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                Yes, but before you pull out the sledge hammer, you might want to test if there is any improvement to be had.

Personally I ended up buying this, I am sure there must be something like it available in Australia.

Thanks for all your advice Vreki!

Comment

Thanks for all your advice Vreki!
                  No problem
                  It occurs to me that if your lag occurs at random, then it might be because other devices interferes with your network, like cordless phones or other WLANS.
                  In Denmark these thing all share the 2.4GHz frequency, but that can vary from country to country.

So while cyberzomby seems to have little problems, that may simply be because there is less disturbances where he lives.

There is of course no guarantee that going wired will fix you problem, so that is why I recommend trying it out before investing too much time and money

Comment

I'm on wireless, not exactly the fastest (Around 2mb so say the ISP) and i get no lag atall, i only suffer from FPS lag (Not much longer xD)

If it's more convenient for you stick to wireless otherwise go to wired, at least you'll know you have a much stronger connection.

Comment

I'm going wired.

Comment

Ive used wireless and a wired connection to play 2142 and have to say that it laggs badly through wireless but plays perfectly through wired so its gotta be a wired connection to play it!

Comment

Been using wirless for a few years now, from counter strike to 2142 and I havent had any problems with it. Make sure the router is a good one (belkin pre-n are awesome) with good coverage and range.

cheers
                          dex

Comment

Been wireless 100% of the time at home for about 20 months now and never noticed any connection problems that the wired machines didn't have too.

I get about 30-80ms (using the ingame ping monitor on score list) most of the time. I'd still prefer to use a wired connection because it's just more reliable, but I don't really think I've been lacking anything on wireless (yet!)

Comment

Working...
                            X