I think I'm screwed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm screwed...

Ok, here's what happened. Today I thought I'd install the 1.40 beta patch. I downloaded the patch, made a backup folder of Battlefield 2142, and patched the original folder.

It was weird, because it said "This will install v1.25 on your PC", even though I downloaded v1.40. I went ahead anyway. It finished patching.

So I launched the patched BF2142.exe from the original folder. "Windows cannot access the file etc you may not have permission. Note that I'm running XP.

So I thought no problem, I'll just delete the original folder and replace it with the backup one (1.25). I find out I can't delete the damn folder either!

I can't rename it, delete it, do anything with it.

So I thought I'd launch BF from the backup folder. That works, but when I enter a server it kicks me saying I have modified content.

Now I start thinking I'm screwed. I try patching 1.25 over 1.40 but it says you have a newer version and exits.

What do I do? How do I delete the folder if I don't have permission?

using the command prompt? im not so u|3er1337 with that command thing but its kinda weird did you protected the folder in some way?

Comment

u r the administrator right?

Comment

Yeah, I'm the admin. I didn't use any command prompt :|:

Comment

Originally posted by BallaAce
          Ok, here's what happened. Today I thought I'd install the 1.40 beta patch. I downloaded the patch, made a backup folder of Battlefield 2142, and patched the original folder.

It was weird, because it said "This will install v1.25 on your PC", even though I downloaded v1.40. I went ahead anyway. It finished patching.

So I launched the patched BF2142.exe from the original folder. "Windows cannot access the file etc you may not have permission. Note that I'm running XP.
          Is the original folder the one that is now 1.40?
          Maybe you should try using the shortcut instead of the exe, there are a few parameters added there.

So I thought no problem, I'll just delete the original folder and replace it with the backup one (1.25). I find out I can't delete the damn folder either!

I can't rename it, delete it, do anything with it.
          Have you done a reboot? Otherwise it could be something from your failed attempt before that locks the folder.

So I thought I'd launch BF from the backup folder. That works, but when I enter a server it kicks me saying I have modified content.

Now I start thinking I'm screwed. I try patching 1.25 over 1.40 but it says you have a newer version and exits.

What do I do? How do I delete the folder if I don't have permission?
          Reboot, and remember that a complete reinstall with patching and NS doesn't take much more than an hour, most of that unattended. So you might be better of doing that

Comment

If you can't rename, delete etc, then there is a process etc that is still using it. A reboot should work.

Comment

Working...
            X