why does punkbuster hate this game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does punkbuster hate this game?

punkbuster seems to mess up so much with this game yet i am still waiting for my first pb error with bf2 and 1942 after years of playing.

however it seems like my pb for 2142 is encountering serious error closing down, -you have been kicked for no punkbuster active- every 2 weeks. its like this annoying reacuring ritual of having to reinstall over and over every other week.

seriously if they can make 2 other bf games that work perfectly with pb wtf is up with 2142?

(never happened before 1.25)

Originally posted by jackal22
    seriously if they can make 2 other bf games that work perfectly with pb wtf is up with 2142?
    You know, I'd never thought of that but you're right... I had 800 hours in BF2 and can not recall a single time when I got a punkbuster error... come to think of it... the game did crash often without any error messages so maybe punkbuster was just as crashy back then but now 2142 actually show you the error messages?... Just a guess.

Originally posted by BallaAce
    Pwnt?
    No, juvenile.

Comment

Ive never really got alot of pb errors

Comment

Just download the punkbuster updater. I hadn't had a problem since updating every week.

Comment

lol, k il update

Comment

Make sure PnkBstrA.exe is running in your processes. If it's not running you'll be kicked out of servers just after you join.

Comment

I've found that PnkbstB seems to be the problem area for this game. This is the process I use as a "workaround" and while 2142 still freezes up on occasion (or in every round I play that evening if it's having a bad day...I wish this would actaully fix something but it just seems to delay the inevitable) This fix seems long but it really only takes about 10 seconds or so to do.

Open Admin Tools ---> Services

Ensure PnkbustrA is running

Start BF2142
              Load into the map you wish to play and spawn into the game

Alt-tab (yes I know this isn't always a good thing with 2142 but I've not locked-up in a long time)

Right-click on PnkbustrA and "Restart"
              PnkBustrB should now be showing

Right-click on B and "Start" (If it isn't already started)
              Right-click on B and "Properties"

On the first tab there's a drop down box that says "Automatic" change it to "Manual"

On the third tab (at work atm can't recall the name off-hand) You'll see three drop down boxes. Change each of these from "Take no action" to "Restart the Service"
              Set the time til restart to "0" minutes
              Click Apply

Alt-tab back and enjoy

...like I said, I still freeze up occasionally but *shrugs* it's not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning of 1.25 when I couldn't play for more than 5 minutes. Figuring this out took about 3 weeks for me so now I can only wait and hope for the new patch so the game can break in a new way . I have updated pnkbustr and that doesn't seem to change anything for me.

Comment

i take it your using vista?

Comment

I had to start playing with the firewall disabled...seems to stop most of this crap.

Larry

Comment

Yeah the thing that really bugs me is that if 2142 messes up I can then start bf2 and that will run for hours without any problem. I've reinstalled everything associated with the game and find workarounds then it works until a new pb version comes up i have a whole new problem to deal with, angers me to no end. Somedays i just wanna pitch the disk out the window.

Comment

PunkBuster hates every game.

Comment

And have you actually noticed, That Punkbuster inconveniences just about everyone, except ONE group of people, the hackers ?

Punkbuster = Punkhelper.

Comment

i think that most of you whiners don't understand what Punkbuster does to help us. Instead you only notice what doesn't work right. A gaming world without Punkbuster (or equiv.) quickly becomes hax world and loses the gamers...

Comment

Originally posted by AndySnipe
                            PunkBuster hates every game.
                            QFT! :shakehead:

Originally posted by sonicpixel
                            i think that most of you whiners don't understand what Punkbuster does to help us. Instead you only notice what doesn't work right. A gaming world without Punkbuster (or equiv.) quickly becomes hax world and loses the gamers...
                            There's a difference between whining & having tech problems caused by PB that make a game unplayable.

Playing with hackers > not playing at all.

Comment

right well ok this is odd now, when i join some servers i get a warning saying

'warning server is using an older version of punkbuster'

what is that all about? i thought there was only one version that everyone had to use?

Comment

Working...
                              X