WTF's up with BF2142?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF's up with BF2142?

So way back in Fall 2006, I picked up BF2142, expecting not a revolutionary game but just "more of the same" great gameplay, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved BF2142 and played it all the way to December, when my disk broke. Well, it's been eight months now, and I've finally decided to pick up a copy of Bf2142 again. I install it, then start it up, getting a notice that there's a new patch out. I download the 1.4 patch and install it, then go into multiplayer.

Holy cow - I find there are only 5 servers out. I think to myself, Bf2142 was never that popular, but there's got to be more than 5 servers - then I realise that maybe not all the servers have gone over to 1.4.

So I join one of the five 1.4 servers, all of which seem to be playing the new Highway Tampa map. I get five fun minutes of 2142 before I get kicked by Punkbuster. The Punkbuster window thing comes up, but instead of telling me what's wrong, it's blank. I join all the other servers, only to get the same thing happen - after 1 to 5 minutes, PB kicks me. After a few more tries, I get into a game for almost ten minutes before the game just crashes to desktop.

WTF? 2142 is suddenly unplayable. It worked perfectly fine in December but now I can't last five minutes without being kicked by PB without a reason or getting a CtD. Help?

You are tying to play the beta version of bf2142.

Comment

Do you recommend I uninstall and reinstall?

If so, what version should I patch to? Thanks. I really want to get back into the game, but if it keeps screwing up like this, back to 24/7 Jalalabad for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Windows2007 View Post

If so, what version should I patch to? Thanks. I really want to get back into the game, but if it keeps screwing up like this, back to 24/7 Jalalabad for me.
        No offence mate but you are the one that screwed up by downloading the wrong version.

But yeah, uninstall and install the previous version, im not sure which one that is, should be easy to figure out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Windows2007 View Post

You need the 1.25 patch. So no back to jalalallilallaibad for ya! :P

Comment

Also try a manual Punkbuster update, for all the details and the link to download the app, go to evenbalance's website! http://www.evenbalance.com/

Comment

Why didnt you just send youre broken cd with 5 bucks and get a new one btw? Thats what I did

Comment

Uninstall, Re-install and patch to v1.25 then manually update punkbuster and install pbsvc

Comment

I ran pbsetup.exe, but BF2142 still doesn't work, so now I'm uninstalling, reinstalling, and patching to 1.25. If that doesn't work, I'll try to manually update punkbuster. If that doesn't work, I'll be trading in my beloved RDX packs for some good old C4.

Comment

Originally posted by Windows2007
                    I ran pbsetup.exe, but BF2142 still doesn't work, so now I'm uninstalling, reinstalling, and patching to 1.25. If that doesn't work, I'll try to manually update punkbuster. If that doesn't work, I'll be trading in my beloved RDX packs for some good old C4.
                    Wise choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Natt
                      Uninstall, Re-install and patch to v1.25 then manually update punkbuster and install pbsvc
                      That oughta work. The reason you're only seeing 5 servers is indeed 'cause you loaded the beta patch 1.40, which hardly anybody is using.

Comment

omg u noob, u go77a liek inst4ll tha g4me and p4thc it and pwn t3h nubbi3s wiht ur vo55 omg 1337cake5.

Just patch to 1.25. 1.40 is a crappy beta. There are about 1600 servers in total.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippet
                          That oughta work. The reason you're only seeing 5 servers is indeed 'cause you loaded the beta patch 1.40, which hardly anybody is using.
                          Holy COW! Is that what it was?!?! Jeeze I feel dumb :shakehead:

It was like one day I was finding 1200+ servers to play and the next it was like only 3 servers?!?! I thought that was a little strange?

I thought maybe 2142 had lost all of it's players because there was a new online version of Myst had come out and all of the die-hard 2142 vets went over to do the Myst thing? It was the only thing I could think of?

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll patch back to the 1.2 patch thingie and see if that helps? I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

you need patch 1.25 not 1.20

Comment

I'm glad I didn't download 1.4

Comment

Working...
                              X