2142's longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2142's longevity

With 2 forum members quitting today, and BF2 having twice the servers and players as 2142, 2142 has been dying slooowwwlyyy ever since it came out. So with *glances at Total bar at top of page* QW, Crysis, FFOW, and CoD 4 coming soon (not to mention BF2, which is as old), what's going to happen to 2142 players if they don't migrate to some other game? Are they going to be end up like BF:V, with 255 servers, 502 players?

I hope not. 2142 has pretty much dominated my gaming time since it came out. I haven't put this kind of time into a single game EVER. While if it came down to it, I'd be grateful to still have people to play, it'll be kind of sad if I'm looking over my crosshairs at the same 500, day in, day out. =P

Comment

I think Battlefield 2142 will be the BF:V of this generation, people will play it a bit, but then most will go back to 2 after a while.

1942 has 747 servers, 1264 players
      Vietnam has 256 servers, 498 players

It seems like every other BF game will be more popular than the ones between it, why, I don't know, probably because of the new game engine.

Comment

With all of these new releases coming from EA and other companies combined with the lack of support it will receive from EA i think it will end up exactly like BF:V did.

Comment

At least I have BF2, but it'll never be the same as 2142, better or worse.

Comment

I certainly hope not, I play this game every bit as much as I have in the past.
            I think it still has a strong and loyal fallowing. I have noticed some old faces leaveing, tho'. But I've also noticed some new faces aswell.

It could use some new maps, for sure. It's up to the EA/DICE team to keep it alive and interseting.

Comment

Originally posted by Erhardt
              I hope not. 2142 has pretty much dominated my gaming time since it came out. I haven't put this kind of time into a single game EVER. While if it came down to it, I'd be grateful to still have people to play, it'll be kind of sad if I'm looking over my crosshairs at the same 500, day in, day out. =P
              I'm with you, brother. This is the first game I've ever been any good at, the first game I've played online multiplayer and the first game I've played for hundreds and hundreds of hours!

I love so much about this game, but it is starting to get old.

I've tried Bioshock (it's great) but it's not a battlefield game. I've tried Company of Heroes (it's great) but it's not FPS. Same with Supreme Commander.

Out of the new games coming out, I'd say that COD4 looks most attractive to me as well as Crysis and Team Fortress 2. ET:QW has had really poor reviews from our community and that concerns me. MOH:A looks fun, but I'm interested in modern or future war after BF2142.

Comment

I think this is my most played online game for me, too, it'll be really sad if it dies. The other games I played mainly online was SWBF2, and I wasn't involved in the community at all, and I'll admit, I did put many hours into Runescape, but those 2 don't come close to what 2142 is to me. (especially Runescape - bleh :dead

Comment

2142 could use an actual expansion pack, not just a booster. It would bring players back and advertise it more.
                  But I doubt that would happen, DICE are busy elsewhere apparently.

Comment

Yeah, it's sad but the decline of BF2142 was predicted almost immediately after it was released. Maybe the community had expected too much, or DICE didn't deliver enough, but either way the game certainly fell short of expectation in the opinion of many BF2 veterans (myself included) and game reviewers. Over time I have grown to appreciate 2142 for it's own merits and all-in-all it is a really good game and I hope that at least the community will remain alive and active for a few more years.

I still get back into BF2 now-n-then and can see why it has such a bigger following; it's more in the spirit of a traditional FPS than 2142.

I think 2142 has too many gadgets with all the scanners, motion mines, cloak, stabilizer, netbats, etc... and the custom loadout system gives the ability to create too many variations so it's harder to compare stats-for-stats at an even level which inevitably lead to the many wars of words about "Ooh you're an RDX spammer", "Ooh you're a Voss whore", and so forth. For just about every single weapon (and even equipment) in 2142 you can find a thread about it in the forum starting with "Damn [insert your choice of weapon/equipment] whores!!!!". 2142 has definitely attracted a different crowd than BF2, whether that's good or bad is just a matter of opinion, but what's not in dispute is the fact that this crowd is much smaller than the crowd playing BF2 and the crowd is getting smaller too.

Having said all that, I just want to reaffirm that I'm a big fan of 2142. And just like others I have played 2142 more than any other FPS and will probably continue to do so for at least the next year since I don't see anything coming out soon that will drag me away from 2142:salute:

Comment

I wouldn't buy a 3 map booster, because that didn't work out well for BF2, but I loved BF2 special forces. Northern strike was a 3 map booster, Do people still play that much?

Comment

i wouldnt mind shelling out for a booster pack or expansion pack right now.........
                        but 3-4months down the line i think it will be a diferent story. as i find myself playing 2142 less and less.

i got bioshock and REALLY like that, but its not 2142!
                        games im looking forward 2 are team fortress 2, crysis and COD4 if the demo blows me away!.

tbh ive spent most of my gaming time either playing on my wii, and ALOT of hours playing with ds. Plus theres a great line up for wii this winter and a few ds games that look gd. so only time will tell if ill still be 2142'ing it at Xmas...........but this game will never be un-installed! its to fun for that:nod:

Comment

I once said the same thing about BF2.

Until BF2142 came along.

Comment

2142 has been dying slowly, mostly because:

1) People are getting sick of the chronic glitchers/hackers, or getting sick of reporting them and having nothing be done.

2) Mods take forever to come out and are still full of glitches, and there is never communication as to "how it's going."

3) K/P servers remain up so people can stat pad

4) NS was a total flop, and most people felt it was a 20 dollar money grab at best.

5) Titan gameplay is extremely laggy even with a decent video card, without titans, it's just BF2 with walkers.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartanAdam View Post
                              2142 has been dying slowly, mostly because:

1) People are getting sick of the chronic glitchers/hackers, or getting sick of reporting them and having nothing be done.
                              M'eh... pretty much what you'll get with ANY popular game.

2) Mods take forever to come out and are still full of glitches, and there is never communication as to "how it's going."
                              Not that I disagree, but... what's to do? It's not something DICE or EA control.

3) K/P servers remain up so people can stat pad
                              They'd definitely be doing themselves a favor if they actually slapped a few knots on a few heads regarding this.

4) NS was a total flop, and most people felt it was a 20 dollar money grab at best.
                              Define "total flop"? Also... $20? It was $10 and worth every penny.

5) Titan gameplay is extremely laggy even with a decent video card, without titans, it's just BF2 with walkers.
                              I've never doubted some people get lag in Titan, but in all the rounds of Titan I've played, I've only ever seen maybe 4 rounds with noticeable lag, and of those 4, only 1 round where I found it bad enough to classify as "annoying".

Comment

Working...
                              X