5.1 headset, EAX, and BF2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 headset, EAX, and BF2142

Does anyone have experience with playing the game with EAX and 5.1 headsets?

I'm getting into more squadplay so VoIP is essential and using VoIP with my current 5.1 speaker setup causes sound leakage and makes it hard for my squad mate to hear me. I have a decent Sennheiser 155 headset but the positional sound just does not compare to a true 5.1 speaker set.

So if you are playing with 5.1 headsets is the positional sound close enough to a true set of speakers?

FYI, a 5.1 headset is one that has actual multiple speakers in them versus simulated 5.1.

I don't have any experience with a real 5.1 setup, but I do have EAX and a pair of "5.1" headphones. I do think it gives me an edge with sound location and hearing that guy trying to sneak up behind you. However, my headphones hurt my ears (physical pressure on my head, not the volume level) if I wear them too long (more than 2 hours straight) so I often just use my 2.1 speakers.

I pretty much just broke out the headphones for all the clan matches or when I needed to be quiet while playing, but they do work well in my experience. I have the Turtle Beach EarForce HPA I think and they do have multiple speakers in them.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd
      I don't have any experience with a real 5.1 setup, but I do have EAX and a pair of "5.1" headphones. I do think it gives me an edge with sound location and hearing that guy trying to sneak up behind you. However, my headphones hurt my ears (physical pressure on my head, not the volume level) if I wear them too long (more than 2 hours straight) so I often just use my 2.1 speakers.

I pretty much just broke out the headphones for all the clan matches or when I needed to be quiet while playing, but they do work well in my experience. I have the Turtle Beach EarForce HPA I think and they do have multiple speakers in them.
      I've heard good things about the EarForce HPA... thinking of getting that one myself. A true 5.1 speaker set is simply awesome for location sensing but you do have to turn up the volume enough until you hit the sweet spot... unfortunately by then the volume is loud enough to be picked up by the mic when I talk. I used to have a 2.1 set but tried out 5.1 and never went back. The only thing with the 5.1 is that you need a decent amount of space to position the speakers properly (especially the side/rear speakers)... and you do have to tune it to your specific set up but once done... nothing beats it.

I'll always have my 5.1 speakers but will put on the headset only when i want some serious squadplay or when it's too late in the night. Hurting the ears is actually a good thing for me though... it tells me it's time to step away from the mouse/keyboard and go get some fresh air:nod:

Comment

Originally posted by DeathEngineer
        I've heard good things about the EarForce HPA... thinking of getting that one myself. A true 5.1 speaker set is simply awesome for location sensing but you do have to turn up the volume enough until you hit the sweet spot... unfortunately by then the volume is loud enough to be picked up by the mic when I talk. I used to have a 2.1 set but tried out 5.1 and never went back. The only thing with the 5.1 is that you need a decent amount of space to position the speakers properly (especially the side/rear speakers)... and you do have to tune it to your specific set up but once done... nothing beats it.

I'll always have my 5.1 speakers but will put on the headset only when i want some serious squadplay or when it's too late in the night. Hurting the ears is actually a good thing for me though... it tells me it's time to step away from the mouse/keyboard and go get some fresh air:nod:
        Do not, i repeat, DO NOT get the Earforce. I had that headset, and about three months after I bought it the elastic gave out. I emailed Haupage asking what I could do, if they would send me a new strap (the thing just screws in!) and they said they do not offer any replacement parts, I would have to buy a new headset. So I did... just not a Haupage one! $100 down the drain.

Otherwise, I could never get the darn thing to resemble anything near 5.1, and I'm much happier with a simple 2-channel HP headset I bought after Haupage gave me the big F. U.

So NO!!!!!! Stay away from those things unless you are ultra gentle with your pereipherals! And no, I wasn't rough on them--they snapped while I was wearing them!

F Earforce and F Haupage, I'll never buy anything from those guys again.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyC View Post
          Do not, i repeat, DO NOT get the Earforce. I had that headset, and about three months after I bought it the elastic gave out. I emailed Haupage...
          Haupage? I was referring to the Turtle Beach Earforce HPA:

Are you talking about the same headset.

Comment

i use bit less expansive SL-8793 Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Edition headset together with X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatality Pro Edition and it works very well

Comment

Originally posted by Nawiedzony
              i use bit less expansive SL-8793 Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Edition headset together with X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatality Pro Edition and it works very well
              Have you ever played the game with a true 5.1 speaker set? If yes then how does it compare?

Comment

yes, i have a true 5,1 speaker set, there awesum, the sound it great and so realistic, love them.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd

One of these days you should try the game in a true 5.1 speaker setup (if you haven't already) I think you'd be quite surprised at how much more emmersive the sound really can be. I'm still getting a 5.1 headset for those moments where I just can not use my regular 5.1 setup, but most of my time will definitely be spent with the full speaker set.

I'm trying out the Ear Force HPA2 and it fits me better than my Sennheiser 155. If the EarForce hurts your head then you defnitely want to stay away from the Sennheiser because the 155 clamps down on my head like a vice:dead: The Ear Force is quite comfortable for me to wear even for hours.

Originally posted by runduderun
                  yes, i have a true 5,1 speaker set, there awesum, the sound it great and so realistic, love them.
                  [edit] Oops sorry, runduderun, I thought your reply came from NawiedZony.

So how close does the Medusa come to your speaker set when it comes to hearing not only where the sound is coming from but also from how far away?

I'm having a real hard time tuning the Ear Force to produce the sound for the right distance... sure I can hear a sniper on the left.. but I can't quite make out how far away he is. With the 5.1 speakers I can come pretty close to figuring how far away a shot is coming from.

Comment

yh like i said its great, you can hear the direction they are commin from and yes even the distance, even though for anyone it is hard to tell properly how far away it is from

Comment

I use the MEDusa's and X-Fi Fatality FPS, I am very pleased with the sound they deliver.

To be hobnest I coulnt play games without a 5.1 setup, the ability to hear whats going on around and behind you is a great advantage.

I appreciate that 5.1 headphones are not as good as 5.1 speakers, at least this way the girlfriend have to listen to all my noise.

Comment

Working...
                      X