Support/Assault imbalance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support/Assault imbalance

As you all know the smoke grenade/infantry sonar unlock can't be resupplied. You only get one per spawn. It's useful sure, but not nearly as useful as the Support soldier's Infantry Sonar device. Which can be resupplied by the support soldier whenever it's destroyed.

This gives the support soldier 2 great reusable detection devices, the pulse meter and the Infantry Sonar. While the Assault only gets the single-use sonar/smoke grenade. I say either the Infantry Sonar should not be able to be resupplied, or the sonar/smoke grenade should be able to be resupplied.

I play primarily assault and we usually call for one support in a squad before the round begins. He is to carry Emp and IDS to take care of infantry and vehicles. Assaults shouldn't need to use anything but defib and rockets. I've seen this combo work wonders for a squad and is pretty much standard. I'm still yet to find a use for smoke and radar grenade.

Comment

The radar grenade would be useful if you could resupply it. I've used it before and it works well if you throw it over the place where you want it to scan, seeing as it scans while in-flight.

I also personally hate the PK rockets, you pretty much have to fire 3 to get a kill and it only works on the idiots that hug corners and the edges of buildings. I do better flanking or fragging than using the PK rockets.

Comment

When you walk BEHIND the smoke your practically invisible. You can also use it as a decoy as people tend to watch the smoke. Pop a smoke nade 20m away from you, dash in and you'll see that most of them will react a little slower.

Many people tend to sit IN the smoke which is as foolish as shooting your own foot.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverDragon
          As you all know the smoke grenade/infantry sonar unlock can't be resupplied. You only get one per spawn. It's useful sure, but not nearly as useful as the Support soldier's Infantry Sonar device. Which can be resupplied by the support soldier whenever it's destroyed.

This gives the support soldier 2 great reusable detection devices, the pulse meter and the Infantry Sonar. While the Assault only gets the single-use sonar/smoke grenade. I say either the Infantry Sonar should not be able to be resupplied, or the sonar/smoke grenade should be able to be resupplied.
          I see where you are coming from, but the assault guy can heal himself, which is arguably the single most helpful thing in the game in terms of staying alive. Perhaps the extra value of the support unlocks is just a kind of compensation for that...

Comment

The radar grenade would be useful if you could resupply it. I've used it before and it works well if you throw it over the place where you want it to scan, seeing as it scans while in-flight.
            See, now THAT little tidbit of information would have gone a long way towards realizing what uses this thing has. I didn't really try it out very earnestly, but never noticed that it scanned while in flight.

That said, I've done a little of what DoubleHelix describes and it works very very well.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchDude
              When you walk BEHIND the smoke your practically invisible. You can also use it as a decoy as people tend to watch the smoke. Pop a smoke nade 20m away from you, dash in and you'll see that most of them will react a little slower.

Many people tend to sit IN the smoke which is as foolish as shooting your own foot.
              If they can't see you, you can't see them. Also, if I see smoke by me I was back , crouch and get ready to fire because someone threw it to me for a reason.
              You still bring in a good point but it doesn't argue the fact why it can't be resupplied. This thing definitely should be resupplied (slowly) because anyone would rather take the PK rockets over them.

Now lets remember that it should be resupplied slowly. If this was resupplied as fast as normal grenades you can make your own commander UAV but with smoke!

Comment

the sonar smoke is just one of many unlocks for 2142 that are complete gimmicks or pointless.

Comment

I've noticed that if you throw the radar grenade over the enemy it tends to distract them fairly well. Mostly because when it bounces off of something and goes off to the side of the enemy group they tend to turn and look at it expecting a flanking enemy.

Also, name one unlock with no use what so ever?

Comment

Also, name one unlock with no use what so ever?
                    Accipiter

Comment

Originally posted by 193d DCAT1
                      Accipiter
                      Why would you say that? I think it's the Otus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgtl3lade View Post
                        Why would you say that? I think it's the Otus.
                        /disagree

IDS stuck to the Otus will spot cloaked recon sneaking to a flag. This is a good combo for a squad on FoB and Camp G if someone sneaks by the north hill and thru toll station. Not to mention enemies don't need to be spotted by the CO to be seen.

Comment

^^ Ingenious.

Comment

This entire situation is null and void if you actually play as a squad. Yeah the Radar/Smoke cannot be re-supplied, and yes the IDS can. If you have a Support on your squad he can be re-supplying his IDS whilst the Assault keeps him alive. I agree with several of the posts that the radar smoke is pretty useless, however, a regular smoke has many many uses.

Comment

Assault can heal them self... insta win

Comment

Working...
                              X