Two total noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two total noob questions

all right, this is actually a bf2 post but the 'totalbf2' forum is taking forever to send me my activation email and I don't want to wait anymore...

I'm new to PC gaming. My friend just helped me build my PC and I've finally got everything up and running. I installed BF2 and was able to open it just fine. For some reason when I open the 'multiplayer' tab I get no servers at all showing up in the server list. I did online registration if that makes a difference, still nothing? Something I'm missing here? I'm sure its something really obvious but...

So I thought I'd try singleplayer just to finally see my comp in action. It gets through the whole load of the map just fine but as soon as it gets to 'loading client data' or whatever that says, it just crashes to my desktop.

I'm a total novice and I'm really lost here...

any thoughts?

i know that servers not appearing probably has something to do with you not having updated to the latest version. not sure what that is for bf2, but that should be your first move. then you should make sure that your punkbuster is up to date, if you are playing on non-cheat servers. finally regarding servers not appearing, it is often something to do with selecting a broader array of filters, ie don't restrict your search too much or it won't give u any love

sorry can't be of more help, good luck!

Comment

^^^^what he said

check that you have the latest patch installed and imho the only server filter you should check is "ranked"

as for the ctd, well, welcome to the wonderful world of DICE games.

Comment

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot

How do I check to for updates?

Comment

1.41 is the one you want.

Comment

Update: the crash problem def appears to be related to my sound setup. I was hopin I would be able to run the sound through my external firewire interface but BF appears to not like that.

Which brings me to another question. anyone else here have trouble getting the sound to work their ASUS motherboard?

I have an ASUS a8n32-sli deluxe and I'm gettting no sound at all

Comment

Originally posted by jgrif08 View Post
              Update: the crash problem def appears to be related to my sound setup. I was hopin I would be able to run the sound through my external firewire interface but BF appears to not like that.

Which brings me to another question. anyone else here have trouble getting the sound to work their ASUS motherboard?
              With regards to both questions, are we talking no sound at all in windows, or just in BF?

Because if it is the former, then I suspect that it might be a driver problem.
              Did you remeber to install the motherboard drivers? They are needed by the onboard sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki View Post
                With regards to both questions, are we talking no sound at all in windows, or just in BF?

Because if it is the former, then I suspect that it might be a driver problem.
                Did you remeber to install the motherboard drivers? They are needed by the onboard sound.
                With my firewire interface I get sound not only on the windows level but when I first open the game (intro, menu music, etc)

The sound on my MB does not work at all, not even on the windows level. A friend who is much more competent than I with PC's helped me build it and yeah we installed the drivers. He's coming over later to look into it cuz he said it's def a driver problem...

The game does not crash when I switch the default sound device in Windows to the MB's sound, I just have to play in silence... not fun...

Comment

With my firewire interface I get sound not only on the windows level but when I first open the game (intro, menu music, etc)
                  You probaly know a lot more about sound devices than I do, but could it be because music and prerecorded sound uses other parts of the card than actual sound effects?
                  Like MIDI versus Wave. I have no idea what they use nowadays.

Is you card able to emulate a more standard soundcard?

The sound on my MB does not work at all, not even on the windows level. A friend who is much more competent than I with PC's helped me build it and yeah we installed the drivers. He's coming over later to look into it cuz he said it's def a driver problem...

The game does not crash when I switch the default sound device in Windows to the MB's sound, I just have to play in silence... not fun...
                  I think the best cause of action is to let your friend fix this, it is so much easier when you can get your hands on the system.
                  I dont suppose you disabled onboard sound in the BIOS?

ETA: How about a non-BF game? Download a demo of one of the newer games and see if the firewire device works with that.

Comment

sound is not disabled in BIOS, no.

We googled the issue and apparently it is a rather common one with my model of motherboard... lucky me...

ETA: How about a non-BF game? Download a demo of one of the newer games and see if the firewire device works with that

I'll give that a shot

Comment

As for where to get the patch. I recommend u download gameshadow.. It scans for games on your pc and it will let u know if ur games are outdatet. With 1 click u download the patch. Unlike websites, it will not make u wait to download and it will not limit ur download speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X