Lag when playing a new map?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag when playing a new map?!

Um...when the server changed map,I will lag about 1 to 2 mins,afrer that I will be fine...
    Can any one solve my problem?

I am guessing that your computer doesn't cache all the graphics at once when you enter the game.
    This could be due to insufficient amounts of RAM or video memory.
    Try turning 360 degrees when you spawn, to force it to load all objects in your vicinity.

This guide has some useful tips for performance tuning: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_1.html

Comment

How much RAM ya got?

Ps wow you have a similar name as me..

Comment

haha, mazee fanclub... lol

Comment

What peoeple experience as "lag" in game can be the cause or result of a nunmber of things.
          I will go though some of the basic ones for you.

1. Your ping is too high. If your ping is high then what you see on your screen will be out of sync with what the server is doing. IE you will get "lag" in the true sence of the word.
          Your ping is the time it takes to get from your PC to the server and then back again, or vise versa. IE the lower your ping the better.
          IE, if the server thinks two players walk round a corner at the same time, but player1 has a ping 100ms higher than player2, than player1 will only know about the enemy 100ms later than player2. This may not sound like a lot but it is a huge disadvantage.
          To help keep your ping low, try only playing on server in a similar geographic location, IE dont play on a North American server if you live in Europe.
          When I am are choosing a server to play on, I always use the "advanced" tab and select 50 in the latency field.

The geographic location is not the only thing that will effect your ping.
          Bandwidth & utilisation on your internet circuit can also play a big factor, I wont go into great detail, but the simple answer is to stop all other downloads, especially P2P & Torrent downloads as these will kill 2142 a lot faster than anything else.

In your opening post you said that it was only the first few minutes of playing on a server that was causing you issues, so your ping is probably not the cause, but its good advise to keep in mind.

2. Your Frames Per Second [hereafter FPS] are too low.
          Your FPS are how often you graphics card can refresh the information on your screen. IE the higher the better.
          FPS is effected by 2 main factors
          A.) How good your graphics card is, IE GPU core speed and how much Video RAM you have [and what it's clocked at].
          B.) How much work you are asking your card to do, IE screen res, dynamic settings and AA etc.

Fixing this is normaly quite easy [if time consuming].
          When you go into the game, press the "grave" and in the console that has popped up a the top of the screen type the following

renderer.drawFPS 1

then hit enter. This will display two red numbers in the top left hand conrer of your screen.
          The first is your FPS, the second number is the time inbetween frames.

I would recommend that the first number never goes below 25 as this will cause you to get "video lag". This is where your PC and the server are in sync, but because your graphics card cannot keep up you and your PC are not in sync.
          When running around [in your prefered server size] you should try to get 40+ FPS, so that when there is a lot of activity going on, or you go inside the titan, your FPS does not drop below 25.

The way to fix this is to get a better graphics card, or lower video setting in the 2142 options until your FPS is stable.

3. Your CPU is running too high.
          If your CPU is running at 100% then the 2142 game engine is trying to calculate more than it can handle.
          If this is the case then you have to start turning down all the settings in the game, both Video & Audio.

4. [And this is probably the one that is causing you the issues] Not enough system RAM.
          2142 uses around 1.5Gb of memory. Memory is made up of RAM & Pagefile. Pagefile is your PC hard drive pretending to be RAM.
          The 2142 game engine needs to load all the information about the map, vechicles, buildings, players, guns etc out of the compressed cab files on your hard drive into memory. The more is can load into RAM the better your game will perform.
          Any game data that is loaded into pagefile will take longer to accessed by the game engine and therefore cause "lag".
          Verki suggested that you spin round 360 degrees, this will cuase the info from pagefile to be pushed into RAM and therefore should perform better.

Unfortunatly there is very little that can be done within software to improve this. The only real option is to get at least 2Gb of RAM.

Sorry!

I hope this info helps.

DocM

P.S. If you want more info on any of this, P.M. me

Comment

Originally posted by venny View Post
            haha, mazee fanclub... lol
            Hell no Too many fan club here already :shakehead:

Comment

Working...
            X