Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The specified video mode is not supported. Game will now run in software mode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The specified video mode is not supported. Game will now run in software mode.

I know you guys have gotten so many of these help threads on this problem, but I've tried everything in the previous threads and nothing is working for me. All of my drivers are up to date, and I ran dxdiag and my d3d works fine. I've tried d3d and opengl and get the same message each time. I've tried in windowed and all that. I've tried all of the things you guys have posted previously. Please help? I'm trying to play cz. I REALLY want to play this game.

Here's my system:

XP Pro SP pack 3
    Intel Pentium 4 1.40ghz processor
    Nvidia gforce2 go 32mb video card
    1.00 gig of ram

Oh sorry if this wasn't supposed to go in this place of the forum. Can someone move it to general? That is, if you want to. Thnx

Thanks in advance

Re: The specified video mode is not supported. Game will now run in software mode.

That is a pretty weak computer. Even so, you should be able to play in d3d/opengl.
    Try forcing the game with the -opengl or -d3d launch options.
    Try installing an old video card driver.

Comment

Re: The specified video mode is not supported. Game will now run in software mode.

I tried both of those things and neither worked. Is it just impossible for me to play this game?

Comment

I used to play cs1.5 on a 800 MHz cpu with a geforce1 with d3d or opengl, even though I had problems activating these modes.
        But cs1.6/cz is heavier than cs1.5, and you really have an old pc. Still, I suggest you try searching for a very old driver (like maybe one that came in a CD with your graphics card) and a very recent nvidia driver. Alternatively you can also try an omega driver.
        Your problem is the game not recognizing your geforce2.

Comment

I can't guarantee this is your problem, but generally this is caused by a refresh rate error.

Namely, the game will try to start up in a mode that your card either doesn't natively support or a mode that has specifically been disabled. Often the resolution is correct, but your card supports it at a different refresh rate. Other times, on widescreen laptops, the specific resolution isn't available on that system.

This is what I'd try: Open Steam, then Right-click on CS:CZ and select the "Properties" button on the context menu. When that dialogue box opens, go to the "Launch Options" box. You'll need to know the width, height and refresh rate of your desktop at this point. For my 1280x1024 @ 85hz mode, I'd enter the following in that box:

-w 1280 -h 1024 -refresh 85

Given that you have a GF2Go, I'm assuming this is a laptop, most of which run at 60hz refresh. Still, to check what mode your desktop is, right-click the desktop, select "properties" from the context menu, select the "Settings" tab, click the "Advanced" button, click the "Adapter" tab, click "List all modes" and your current settings should be listed there.

Anyway, I'd try matching those settings to what your desktop display is and see if it will run like that. If not, then I'd try this:

-w 640 -h 480 -window

For further command line stuff you can try, use this link:

Hope that helps!

Comment

Wow ok so it turns out that Microsoft game me the WRONG video drive to start with when I first installed windows. So, I went to Dell and found the right one, installed it, and now CZ is FINALLY WORKING!!!! Woohoo! I'm so happy. This game is so much fun with all of the objectives and stuff. Anyways, installing the new driver didn't just help with that, but it made all of my other games stop crashing. ie CSS and UT2004 and stuff like that. Thanks guys for all of your help! ^_^
            BTW I had tried to go to dell before, but they gave me the wrong driver the first time too. That's why I was having so much trouble.

Comment

lol how the hell did they fuck up?
              Anyway, have fun with your game.

Comment

Haha yeah. Thanks, I will

Comment

Hi nighthawk

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

After reinstalling the driver for my graphics card I had no success. Typing -w 1024 -h 768 -refresh 60 for launch options however did the trick for me. Cs loaded first time in openGL mode

Cheers

Jon.

Comment

What the hell :O
                    How could simply switching resolution help?
                    CS always stars for me, i just can't switch to OpenGL mode. Other modes are too laggy to play...

Comment

i have an answer. just goto this link and download it. the link is http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/Opengl95.exe .open it. command prompt will open and close automatically .then try the game . if it works reply to me at jeyadosstimothy@gmail.com

Comment

mann! ive tried evry freakin thing to work my cz but no use,except the driver thing korg told about..plx help

i got the followin
                        nvidia geaforce 7300 gs
                        1.5 gb ram
                        pentuim 4,2.8 ghz

Comment

Working...
                        X