starting cs again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting cs again

so i used to play CS a lot back when 1.5 was popular, but once 1.6 came out i stopped for whatever reason. I'm looking to get back into it again but i'm confused by the different versions and what exactly needs to be done. Basically, i just want to play whatever the newest multiplayer version of 1.5 is.

According to the valve website, there's just CS, which looks like 1.5 (im assuming it's 1.6), CS source, which looks real similar but with better graphics, and CS condition zero, which i think is 1 player. Which should i get?

Also, if i get HL2 will i be able to download CS for free? Or is it a completely separate game?

I'm also a little confused about what exactly steam is...we didn't have that in 1.5. Basically if someone could just give me a rundown of exactly what i need to do to play some fucking CS i'd be a happy man.

thanks

Re: starting cs again

CS1.6 is the newest vanilla CS. CS:CZ has both single-player and multiplayer. I think it's slightly more polished than CS1.6 is, but the user base is tiny by comparison, so if you want server options, stick with CS1.6.

HL2 will not grant you access to CS for free. However, you can buy (from the Steam store) stuff like the VALVe complete pack that has both, but is a bit spendy if you don't really care for the other games.

Steam is VALVe's distribution platform / update manager / game launcher / anti-cheat solution / buddy list all wrapped into one. You can purchase games digitally, and play them from any computer you log onto your Steam account from (but you can only be logged into one location at a time).

If you still have your CD key from when you played half-life/cs1.5, you can just input it directly into steam and it'll automatically download everything you're entitled to. If you lost your old CD key, here are some links.

Anyway, if you want old-school CS1.6, it's $10 here:
    Play the world's number 1 online action game. Engage in an incredibly realistic brand of terrorist warfare in this wildly popular team-based game. Ally with teammates to complete strategic missions. Take out enemy sites. Rescue hostages. Your role affects your team's success. Your team's success affects your role.

For CS:CZ only, $10 here:
    With its extensive Tour of Duty campaign, a near-limitless number of skirmish modes, updates and new content for Counter-Strike's award-winning multiplayer game play, plus over 12 bonus single player missions, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero is a tremendous offering of single and multiplayer content.

For both CS1.6 and CS:CZ (along with Day of Defeat), $15 here:
    The Steam Spring Sale is on now — find great deals on thousands of games!

For CS: Source only, it's $20 here:
    Counter-Strike: Source blends Counter-Strike's award-winning teamplay action with the advanced technology of Source™ technology.

For every version of CS, $30 here:

For basically everything VALVe ever made, $100 here:

Hope that helps.

Comment

thanks man, that definitely clears a lot of things up.

few quick question though, what is the difference between CS1.6 and CS source, aside from the graphics? Which is generally recommended and which has the largest player base? Is it worth it to get both?

thanks again

Comment

In average 1.6 has more players than source, but at certain times of the day, source peaks over 1.6. The playability is slightly different between the games, but if it's been a long time since you've played you might not notice.
        I simply don't touch source because it requires a pretty good pc.

Comment

Working...
        X