Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam on Vista

Dear All,

I have been trying to solve this problem for the last 4 days without reaching anywhere. i have steam downloaded then after completion the download of counter strike and condition zero started. after all installations are done steam will try to update. it gets stuck there for 2 min then error comes saying can't open library steam.dll. i read lots of threads and i downloaded the steam.dll and place in steam folder. then the message changed to can't read library steamui.dll so i downloaded this also but still the message dont go away. i dont have viruses/malware/spyware. i tried installing trillion times. One thing to mension, i read on one thread an image of the files and folders that should be inside the steam folder and amaizingly, i am missing lots of them! not sure why! take a look in the link below:

[link="http://gallery.filefront.com/ramiwahdan//973124/"]http://gallery.filefront.com/ramiwahdan//973124/[/link]

Thanks.

Yes, you're missing a ton of dlls.
    You should have:
    CSERHelper.dll
    dbghelp.dll
    GameOverlayRenderer.dll
    mss32_s.dll
    Steam.dll
    steamclient.dll
    SteamUI.dll
    tier0_s.dll
    vstdlib_s.dll

My advice is the following:
    Make a backup of your game gcfs. Go to the steamapps folder and copy the gcfs to somewhere else.
    Uninstall steam, and just to make sure, delete the steam folder.
    Install steam, but don't install the games.
    If steam can load up successfully, go to the folder where you copied the gcfs and move them to steam\steamapps. When you restart steam the games will be there.

If steam fails to load up, just post your email and I'll send you all the necessary files.

Comment

Sintra wrote..
      Yes, you're missing a ton of dlls.
      You should have:
      CSERHelper.dll
      dbghelp.dll
      GameOverlayRenderer.dll
      mss32_s.dll
      Steam.dll
      steamclient.dll
      SteamUI.dll
      tier0_s.dll
      vstdlib_s.dll

My advice is the following:
      Make a backup of your game gcfs. Go to the steamapps folder and copy the gcfs to somewhere else.
      Uninstall steam, and just to make sure, delete the steam folder.
      Install steam, but don't install the games.
      If steam can load up successfully, go to the folder where you copied the gcfs and move them to steam\steamapps. When you restart steam the games will be there.

If steam fails to load up, just post your email and I'll send you all the necessary files.
      I did that just now and remember that did it many times before as you suggested and it is still the same. rwahdan@gmail.com and thanks alot.

Comment

OK, just mailed you. Hope it works.

Comment

Sintra wrote..
          OK, just mailed you. Hope it works.
          I sent you an email. the problem now changed. the new message is that the folder "bin" is not found and that there is a file that is trying to access which is vgui2.dll but i dont have the folder and i think it includes many files in it. can you send me that? Thanks.

the error link is:
          [link="http://gallery.filefront.com/ramiwahdan//974238/"]http://gallery.filefront.com/ramiwahdan//974238/[/link]

Comment

OK, hold on, I'll mail you the needed folders.

Comment

Ok pardon my french but this is WTF material.

Vista is a bad boy.

You've downloaded a new installer from the site prior to reinstalling, rrrright? Because using an "old" installer (e.g., prepared for XP) won't do you any good...

Steam for Vista installs a service to manage the files as an Admin (I _think_, haven't dug that much).

Anyway, Sintra's a nice guy, I assume all is well now.

Comment

Working...
              X