Dice responds to Battlelog thread Regarding lack of modding options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dice responds to Battlelog thread Regarding lack of modding options

I found this interesting on reddit. Its a bit of a bitch to sift through but it had some interesting points.

It addresses a few questions in an attempt to dispel some of the conspiracy surrounding the Frostbite engine. One thing I got from it which makes sense from a copyright perspective is how it seems like DICE and EA want to establish the Engine as a proprietary system, or at least keep it out of the hands of competitors. I dunno, read it for yourself and discuss. I haven't even finished it yet.

Edit: Hell, they don't even say "Modding ruins games" they even say this:

schmor_v1 said:
    they dont allow mods so that the only extra content are dlcs

-> mods = less money for ea

its starts with simple things like banning people that remove the stupid blue tint
    TheBikingViking said:
    Actually, I think history has proven that mods can be very beneficial for games, even on a commercial level. The sales of Arma, for example, really took off after the Day Z mod was released. So what you're saying is actually not true whatsoever.

Also, if we remove the support of any modifications to the game, it's solely due to potential security and cheating issues, or because it explicitly violates our Terms of Service.
    So, as always, stupidly optimistic me has some hope for the future, even if its a little far into the future.

That was stupidly optimistic of you.

Also, and this is my rant in general, not at you particularly Stevo, this is nothing new. They have said this before the release of BF3. DICE even used the lame excuse of "its very complicated to work the Frostbite engine." Then the FIFA (I think) team came out a few weeks later and said how awesome and easy the Frostbite engine is to work with.

The bottom line is EA invested a lot of time and money for DICE to make the Frostbite engine and they want it locked down for them. EA is betting a lot on that horse by using the engine in many of their new games. That doesn't just mean DLC, but future content and games, the ideas of micro transactions, and so on. Its a BIG deal. Its company big, not just BF3 big. The security issue is the loss of code and information from EA. There are already cheats out, so saying no mod tools because of that is simply a default answer again.

So, no mod tools in BF3 and you can sleep well tonight knowing that there is a 99.9~% there will be no mod tools in BF4. In fact the only way there would be mod tools in BF4 is if the tools were very watered down or very tightly controlled.

So if no mod tools is a deal breaker for you for BF4, then you best not be pre-ordering until you get something that says there will be. Argue it all you want. Have a great time writing EA/DICE and making boycott threats and all that. If you really want it then you should do what you can, but be realistic on what you are up against.
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Hey, I don't even think they're coming for BF5. Possibly we'll get some form of development when EA gets bored of it. Which is better than nothing. But as I've said before I'm most likely going to skip BF4 due to other circumstances, but I was browsing reddit and wanted to have a little change of pace. People will disagree with cop-out answers all the time. And hey, if we're not playing something, what will keep this forum together?

Comment

I agree. I think what is getting me is all the Battlelog posts about boycotting BF4 and how they demand mod tools and everything else for it and on and on.

It just gets old. No one is bringing anything new to the table and very few, if any, is actually going to boycott.

What really gets me are all the people complaining that are level 100s.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
          I agree. I think what is getting me is all the Battlelog posts about boycotting BF4 and how they demand mod tools and everything else for it and on and on.

It just gets old. No one is bringing anything new to the table and very few, if any, is actually going to boycott.

What really gets me are all the people complaining that are level 100s.
          Yeah, one of the devs (though he didn't really answer the guys concerns, not that he would listen anyway) asked why a Purist had over 500 hours and he gave a rambly response which made it sound like he was implying it was still DICE's fault that he plays it so much despite it "sucking"

And don't get me wrong, if things were different for me I would be excited for BF4 but it looks like I'm going to be taking a 2 year absence from gaming and other things later this year.

Comment

Im NOT excited about BF4. Its not because BF3 sucked because for me it didn't. It was a great game. I just don't see how BF4 is going to convince me to purchase an updated game that I already have.

Even if they make the entire environment destructable with changing light and weather, I just dont know. I dont think I want to spend another $60 (including Premium) for BF 3.5.

We will see March 27th though.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              Im NOT excited about BF4. Its not because BF3 sucked because for me it didn't. It was a great game. I just don't see how BF4 is going to convince me to purchase an updated game that I already have.

Even if they make the entire environment destructable with changing light and weather, I just dont know. I dont think I want to spend another $60 (including Premium) for BF 3.5.

We will see March 27th though.
              Its fair point. You expressed similar caution around the time before the MW2 debacle and you turned up right if I recall correctly. Like I say though, I'm a sucker for battlefield, despite the fact I have never been particularly good at it. So its odd, I have high hopes for a game I might not play.

I still await for the "BF3 had everything right!" crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0 View Post
                Its fair point. You expressed similar caution around the time before the MW2 debacle and you turned up right if I recall correctly. Like I say though, I'm a sucker for battlefield, despite the fact I have never been particularly good at it. So its odd, I have high hopes for a game I might not play.

I still await for the "BF3 had everything right!" crowd.
                Nahhh, there just isnt information right now is all. I have purchased every Battlefield game on PC. They've had some great things and bad things. I was hoping for a 2143 or BC3, but I guess they have something up their sleeve to make BF4 be something.

As for "BF3 had everything right!" You have a long wait

Comment

Yeah, I'm really hoping DICE does not fail with having something new and innovative in every BF game.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm really hoping DICE does not fail with having something new and innovative in every BF game.

Comment

I am not excited about BF4 either at this point. Maybe when we have more info on the game I will get excited.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                      ... Its a BIG deal. Its company big, not just BF3 big. The security issue is the loss of code and information from EA. There are already cheats out, so saying no mod tools because of that is simply a default answer again...
                      by the time you read this, there will already be cheats out for BF4.
                      "Crunch's First Officer"
                      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa View Post
                        by the time you read this, there will already be cheats out for BF4.
                        HA! Exactly. I remember everyone getting upset how there were cheats in the BF3 alpha.

Comment

Working...
                        X