So many Colonel's......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many Colonel's......

Been playing about a week and noticed almost every server has a third of its players at rank 45 and above. Why did Dice water down the rank system and make it so easy to move up. Seems to me that they adopted the COD/MW agenda to appease the rank whores. Just my opinion but definitely takes away from the old BF theme.

Re: So many Colonel's......

It's just psycholgical effect but I agree it's annoying to see so many eagles, they should have kept same ranks and number but add more number for the lower ranks (lieutenant 1/2/3> next rank 1/2/3>etc up to the eagle).

Comment

^^ Agreed

Takes less than 100 hrs of playtime to reach Colonel. BF3 just doesn't have the longevity of BF2. But maybe that's EA's goal? Keep it short enough so players feel like they've accomplished something and buy the next BF related game. I remember when 2142 came out, I didn't buy it since I was still ranking up in BF2.

Comment

Shit I think i'm still a gunny sarge in BF2 lol Sucks that I can't play it on win7. Under 100hr and i'm half way to a Colonel Star 3 in this game.

Comment

I felt the ranking system was neglected in this game. I never actually pay attention to that rank bar on the end of game screen. I only care about kit, vehicle, and weapon unlocks.

What do you get from ranking up? Camo, specializations, pistols, and some all-kit weapons. Considering that I use one of the early specs (ammo or sprint) and that my favorite pistol is unlocked from the start, I haven't cared at all about ranks.
          Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I'm also disappointed in the watered-down rank system. In Battlefield 2 I got to 2nd Lieutenant after playing almost 700 hours of the game. Working towards medals and ranks was an affair of months, not mere hours, so I had a goal for which my friends and I would strive to achieve.

Nothing in this game is difficult to attain. I'm a few thousand points away from getting Colonel and I've only played 66 hours. That's pathetic.

Rank no longer holds any value whatsoever with the current trend online FPS games have been taking. In BF2 when I'd see an enemy with a Lieutenant or maybe even a higher ranking Sergeant I would be like 'Oh s#@t!" and his skill would be equivalent to his rank. It was thing to be proud of if you were in the upper sergeants or officer ranks.

In comparison, on my other BF2 soldier I'm a staff sergeant and that took me 50 hours to earn. After 65 I'm about to hit the last BF3 rank.

Comment

Yeah, some one asked me last night what rank I was, and I had no idea, I was 44, but I don't pay attention to that bar. The first thing I actually worked on was unlocks for vehicles, and during my 2 weeks off in november, I got all the ones I wanted, Tank and Attack chopper all unlocked. As for the weapons, I give each gun a chance, once I've used a gun for a while and unlocked everything I stick with it for a long time, I was using the defualt guns until december because it had the attachments I liked, and I was getting kills well enough. I am learning that there are guns I like more, and now I'm unlocking attachments for those. However some old guns I'll likely go back to, just to know for sure if they were any better or worse for my play style, or just different.

I'm still stuck in the way it used to be, unlocks shouldn't be there at all, just load out options. And your in game experiences and trying out different weapons every now and they let you figure out what you liked best. The game play it self was reward enough. That even goes for games that use melee and magic, but I know that extreme, still I hope to see that one day.

Comment

Since I unlocked everything so soon in BC2 and BF3, I had to find something to look forward to. In BC2 and BF3 I grind each gun to 100 kills to earn a service star with each weapon. That's my goal right now and so far I have about 6-8 weapons at 100 kills. Easiest to get 100 with was the M1014.

In BF2 you unlocked everything quickly too, but at least the medals were hard to get and they took quite a lot of time. That was my goal on that game too. So I guess it hasn't changed that much but the ranks are meaningless.

Comment

Yes I can remeber the old days playing BF2 ..............it took me forever to make bird colonel and that was as far as I could go.

Comment

Working...
                  X